Private ownership of guns in the US ought to be banned

Asked by: quinnslocum
  • Of course they should be banned

To the poster: I am not going to justify why they must be banned because I will be lambasted by an incredible amount of NRA supporter stupidity. I will say one thing, however, more guns is not the solution to gun violence. What country in the developed world has police shooting unnamed individuals just because of their skin colour? What country is it deemed a necessary evil if a gunman walks into a school and kills hundreds of children? What developed country has the highest amount of gun violence? The answer to all three questions is the United States. It is abysmal that Americans put up with this.

Enough with this. Poster, if this issue is truly bugging you and you wish for a change, I am afraid that the USA will not change until the majority of its population realise how precious human life truly is. I suggest that you should move. There are other countries that are freer, have a higher standard of living, and are safer than the USA; heck, look north of the border.

• Yes for the most part.

I don't agree with the idea of "Open Carry". I feel that you should have the freedom to have a gun to keep at your home to protect you from intruders, robbers, or domestic violence situations, but I don't feel that we should let people carry guns around in public. They can use a teaser or pepper spray or maybe a knife in public to protect themselves, Regardless if your gun is registered or not, I don't feel comfortable at the thought of complete strangers walking around with guns. I don't know if you are crazy. I don't what you are capable of. You could blow me or one of my loved ones head off at any given moment if you feel like it. I just think they should take guns off the street period. Just keep it in your house.

• The rate of gun massacres is way too high

When looking at the issue of guns and how people in the United States are free to own their own guns, there is definitely a problem of responsibility. When people do not recognize this or even ignore it and decide to use their weapon of destruction to harm the people around them, that's when holding guns and lawfully owning them becomes a problem. Nowadays, we see way too many gun massacres and shootings going on in the news that cannot be justified. Innocent people lose their lives because of this, and in fact, millions of people have actually died because of this.
    Unless the country and its people can assure that guns will not be used for anything else other than del protection,which is impossible, the country should restrict its citizens from lawfully owning guns.

• Why the death rate so high

Guns is the answer, the quickest way to kill someone all it takes is one shot and someones family will never be the same, if there are guns you want one as well to defend yourself so if you ban them you wont need a gun to protect yourself because you are in a much safer society and at less risk.

• Are You Serious?

I see that you are new to this whole website, so I shall take it "easy" on you. Banning private firearms in the U.S. is not only absurd but also blatantly unconstitutional. In case you were hiding under a rock or something, the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protects the right of the people to keep and bear firearms. The amendment also goes on to say that this right "shall not be infringed". End of story you poor soul.

• Guns Are Needed

If you want to live in a country where citizens are, for the most part, not allowed to own guns, just hop south of the border, to Mexico, see how well gun control is benefiting their country.

Think about it; banning guns would not keep guns out of the hands of criminals, it would only take guns away from law abiding civilians. Criminals would just buy them illegally, or on the deep web.

After all, did banning alcohol stop men like Al Capone from manufacturing it?

• This is AMERICA

If you idiot liberal baboons want to live in a country with no guns, move to the UK, don't try to enforce your idiocy on us, here in america we have the right to bear arms the right to free speech etc,

"you don't like private gun ownership, don't buy one, wasn't that easy? "

• Private Gun Ownership Prevents Tyranny

The USA is one of the most free nation on earth, if not the most free. Thanks to private gun ownership the people can prevent the government from infringing upon rights such as the right of free speech. By taking away the right to privately own guns we are taking away the right of the people to rebel and overthrow a tyrannical government. Why did the American War of Independence succeed? Because the people had guns. Why couldn't the Jews fight back against Hitler? Because their guns were taken from them. The link to a debate I completed will show how guns do not cause crime.

Http://www.Debate.Org/debates/Civilians-Should-Not-Be-Able-to-Own-Guns-of-Any-Kind/1/

• The Criminals Won't Agree

If you take away the guns from the common people, than they will have no way to protect themselves. Think about it this way, you are a homeowner and you are not allowed to own guns. A criminal breaks into your home, pulls out a gun and threatens to shoot you if you don't give him/her your money. If you had a gun, you could shoot the criminal in the foot or the arm. After shooting the criminal you could call the police and everyone would be happy. Without the gun, you will be robbed and probably killed. You might ask where the criminals get the guns. Believe it or not, there is a black market, where criminals can buy guns, drugs, lethal injections, candy. Ok, probably not candy, but you get the idea. These criminals, if in contact with the right people(and they usually are) can get their hands on anything they want. Taking away guns violates the constitution. The second amendment which reads, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." tells us that we have the right "to keep and bear arms" it also tells us, this right "shall not be infringed". People may say that this is outdated as we no longer need militias anymore, so what, the amendment still protects our right to keep and bear arms. Any of us at any moment may need to defend ourselves against criminals who are armed with guns. We will need guns to be able to protect ourselves. Our right to keep guns is protected and there is good reason for why.

• Pry them out of my cold dead hands.

A lot of anti gunners will tell you all sorts of macro statistics like gun deaths per 100k and what not, and it makes sense to consider those. As a gun owner, I caution those of you with little knowledge to follow people based on that kind of information alone. You also need to look at gun management PRACTICALLY. Many guns are incorrectly registered or unregistered, and its really easy say you dropped your gun in a lake, or it was lost in a fire. Now I made a strong headline, and I'm not suggesting that I'll exchange gunfire with authorities for the sake of maintaining my guns, as that is against my morals, but I certainly couldn't see myself caving into them either. Gun owners like OPTIONS and they tend to be good at ensuring options. I'm no exception, and to think that you could make some 300 million guns just up and vanish by the time the law was repealed seems asinign. I mean, they are protected by the constitution and American's are notoriously rebellious and reactive people. They couldn't even get rid of alcohol in America. In fact, I'd go so far as to say if we had a gun prohibition, it would turn into the greatest sales add for guns that ever aired. President Obama just mentioning gun control, has sent demand soaring already. I mean I have trouble buying Ammo, because it been getting bought off the shelves as fast as they can make it for going on 8 years now. Prices have just kept going up.

• That is idiotic

http://gunssavelives.net/ If guns were banned only criminals would have guns and would be able to use them against unarmed good guys. Even without a gun a criminal can commit a crime against a weaker victim. Guns are used to save lives and prevent crimes hundreds of thousands of times a year.

• Absolute- ly not.

It is a right. The constitution does not give us the right to bear arms, the constitution protects our inherent right to bear arms.

Richard Henry Lee, 1788, Member of the First U.S. Senate.

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms…”

George Mason

“…to disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them…”

Thomas Jefferson

“The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed and that they are entitled to freedom of person, freedom of religion, freedom of property, and freedom of press.”

I personally like to take my safety and my family's safety into my own hands. I don't want to rely fully on any government entity to be responsible for my family's safety. I'm not willing to give up the rights that so many in history have fought to obtain and protect, for the guise of safety. I don't want to go to jail for 5 years for defending myself on my own property against violent assailants, like poor Tony Martin in Britain.