Progressive tax system: Is progressive taxation desirable?

• Progressive Taxation Desirable

Yes, a progressive tax system is desirable as it is more fair to the most number of people. For someone making $5,000,000 a year, losing half of their income to tax is not nearly as difficult on them as someone who makes only $30,000. Thus, a progressive tax system is more fair.

• The Death Penalty Is Justified

In my opinion, if you committed a malicious crime where the ending result is the death of another person, you have forfeited your life. If a person has so little value for the life of another person than what value can they give to society. I do not like the thought of purposely killing a human being, but if that person has no qualms about taking a life than apparently they hold no value for their own life. Each case should be weighed on intent and circumstance accordingly. But for those crimes that are intentional... I have no issue with the death penalty.

• Progressive taxation is unethical.

I have never heard a defender of progressive taxation deny that it's underlying ethics are based on Marx's dictum, "From each according to his ability." And we all know how that turned out.

We all agree that the rich should pay more in taxes than the poor, that taxes should be simple, and that they should be fair. A flat tax would accomplish all those things. Plus, we could all file our income taxes on a postcard.

• Progressive taxes are unethical.

I have never heard an advocate for progressive taxation deny that its ethical basis is Karl Marx's dictum, "From each according to his ability." And we know how well that turned out. If you believe the rich should pay more in taxes, and if you believe in equality, especially equality in tax rates, a flat tax will accomplish both. Plus, our income tax forms would be the size of a postcard.