Pros (yes) and cons (no) of genetically modified animals

• GMOs are good

Most of you guys voting no for GMOs don't even live in the country and probably don't know what they are. I live in Iowa and GMOs help a whole bunch with out them we wouldn't have enough food to feed families!! If we consume GMOs we will be perfectly fine, they keep my farm in buisness!

• People against this are not living in poverty.

For example here are a lot of starving people here in Africa and the agricultural sector is struggling to supply the demand at an affordable price. So GMO gives the farmers a chance to make food more affordable.

And when i say poverty i dont mean, cant pay the bills and watch cable, i mean live in a shack and starve.

• Have you heard of the Enviro-Pig???

Algae Blooms are the worst thing that can happen to the environment and is caused by phosphorus from the faeces of farm animals. These algae blooms lead to the creation of dead zones which do incredible damage to waterways and the ocean (you should look it up). These dead zones are seen commonly on the coast of America and near Mexico. The Enviro-Pig was genetically altered to absorb the high levels of phosphorus found in grains which are stored as phytic acid. These genetically altered pigs use phytase in their salivary glands to absorb the phosphorus regular pigs could not digest. They excrete up to 85% less phosphorus which, if made mainstream, would greatly reduce the chance of algae blooms. Yes, genetically altering an animal for the sake of being able to is not okay but if the genetic engineering of an animal/plant is created to reduce the impact animals and people have on the planet then I am all for genetically modified animals.

• GMO is a valuable technology and we should utilize it

Genetically modified animals are more efficient when it comes to raising them, and we get more out of them. They go through thorough research and testing in order to make them safe for people and the environment. It's literally just another technology. It brings us a lot of benefits but it can be harmful when used incorrectly. With testing and regulations it's very safe and efficient. Arguing about it being "not natural" is rather pointless, because we humans are the exact opposite of "natural", and we have altered and exploited nature for our entire lives. If you truly cared about animals suffering or being natural, you would currently be vegan and living in a self sustaining farm with zero electricity whatsoever. The mass produced meats you eat already go through cruel and immoral mass production and butchering process and the vast majority of electricity production comes from harming the environment.

• It is good

This is not bad because these foods are being designed to last longer in stores and its not just going to waste. I'm sure most people buy fruit and then leave it in the fridge for a week and its disgusting. But with this technology, we can help make food last longer and not not let it get wasted.

• Fuck yeah .

Cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so.

• Fuck yeah .

• Fuck yeah .

Cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so,cuz I said so.

• Using genetic engineering on animals is bad.

Its bad because the process can be and is potentially harmful and dangerous. The natural ecosystem can be disturbed when engineering animals, as well. Plus, animals should be treated like they matter instead of as 'items' that we can use and manipulate whenever and however we please. Animals are sentient beings that can be used for more than clothes and food that aren't even healthy in many cases.

• Nature is a perfect balance

Nature has been the same for many years why would we risk changing this perfect balance. Because some biologists thinks it is important. All the modern biologist wants now a days is to be created for a great discovery. If we make animals that are more resistant to viruses and certain bacteria ; the bacteria will adopt and become stronger. This stronger virus will effect the normal animals making that virus more deadly for then.

• GMOs are unethical

Some food companies have refused to use meat or milk that is from genetically engineered animals. Some consumers are complaining that the animal drug rules do not regulate genetically modified animals properly. This process is potentially dangerous and can be very harmful. When engineering animals the natural ecosystem can be disturbed. Some animals die in experiments while other are born deformed or huge.

• GMOs are unethical

• No this is very bad

1. There always seem to be unforeseen changes when genetics are modified.
    When one benefit is finally achieved, there tends to be an equal and opposite reaction somewhere else. Despite all the efforts to genetically modify an animal, a random mutation can ruin all of the science.

2. It may harm the animal at the expense of humanity.
    How we treat others helps to define who we are as a people. If we are willing to treat animals poorly for our benefit, what becomes the next step in the process? Sacrificing humans that don’t contribute to expectations as well.

3. It could create allergies.
    Genetically modified animals may provide more food and better nutrition, but the changes could also develop an allergic resistance to the food source. Over time, it may mean fewer people get fed because of the scientific alterations that have occurred.

• ITS not right

• Gma is inhumane.

Animals were created a certain way for certain reasons and no one should be misusing animals this way. This isnt about gm crops or gm food. This is about live animals that feel pain and suffer through experiments that will fail 97-99% of the time. Animals cant help themselves so we have to.

• Bad very bad

Its just plan wrong animals suffer for scientific crap and thats not right how many animals have to die to get one perfectly modified animal. I think animals are fine the way they are and should be left alone. Even if they help the human race but at what excpense.

• Bad very bad

• Bad very bad