• If we can be transgender, we can be transracial.

You could give the same argument about becoming a woman for trans people. The men are transitioning to a woman who still has a long way to go as far as equality. The men have grown up in privilege and do not understand what women go through on a daily. But we still accept transgendered people. Gender is nothing more than a social construct. A man can't do anything a woman can't do.

If someone feels they were born in the wrong body, then they should be allowed to be who they want.

• Consult Science: Anthropology, Biology, & Archeology, what do they say?

To All Blacks: Since Dr.Leakey and Co. Found 3,200,000yr.Old "Lucy" in Ethiopia, it became evident that we ALL come from the same origin (out of Ethiopia). Most Blacks embraced this find, and so did many Whites. Now both seem to be suffering from Amnesia, and instead cling to RACE as the bottom line. Where is the consistency???

• Why wouldn't it be?

Transracial is definitely a real thing. You can be whoever you want to be. Your opinion, your decision. It is what you classify yourself as and shouldn't affect anything differently. If you feel that your identity doesn't really fit you, changing what you identify yourself as will help change that.

• Yes, very true.

I believe one should be able to change its race as well, after all we live in a world where people are switching their sex genders at will and with ease, why shouldn't those who wish be able to change their race as well, probably in a few years it will be a very easy to do thing.

• Yes, trasnsracial identification is a real thing.

Today people enjoy many freedoms of expression so they can live their lives as they see fit, with the operating word here being their. If someone identifies as someone with a different skin tone, that is their choice. We have no right to tell them if it is right or wrong.

• Hypocritical to think otherwise

Trans sexual, trans racial, whats the difference. Apparently you are whatever you think you are, reality be damned. Luckily for me I identify with being a Demi-God and everyone has to accept and treat me as such. It would be wildly intolerant and wrong of them not to treat you how you want to be treated.

• Certainly it is.

Transracialism begins with not recognizing yourself as a race. If you call yourself a color you have immediately confirmed your racism, as you believe the color of your skin, or land or origin is special. Please challenge me to a debate on this, unless you are colorblind. I am American, and transracial. America is not a race. Bring it.

• Existed before it had a name

Many people throughout history have been transracial and transethnic. Whenever someone accepts and integrates into another culture or subculture, one has crossed or "trans-ed" into that culture or subculture. If I am a Swede and I move to Korea and integrate into that culture, I am both a transracial and a transethnic, regardless of whether or not I have had surgery to look like Asian, for example.

• The Line Between

People are trying to draw a line between acting like race, and actually being a certain race, and the main line seems to be whether or not the person has experienced hardships unique/directed specifically at that race. Though it is unclear if Ms. Dolezal has (though she had us so fooled, she probably had the racists fooled as well), if someone were to experience these hardships while "pretending" to be black, there would be no difference between them and an biologically black person. They would both embrace black history and culture, they would both suffer the various disadvantages of being black, they would both share in the rewards of being black, and depending on the transracial person,, may even have similar color skin. Thus, though it is unclear whether Rachel Dolezal qualifies, transracial could definitely be a real possibility.

• Race does not exist.

Yes. The concept of transracial people is not normal, you may not believe in it, I certainly don't but the facts are there. Scientifically there is not such thing as "race". The concept of race is only haphazard physical characteristics, cultural histories and social conventions. So scientifically speaking Dolezal's actions were completely rightful. Socially speaking she was wrong in that she lied to not only to her employer but to the public, she did not do what is socially considered to be right. But as this century keeps going on we are seeing more and more different kinds of people, transgender people, gay people, a whole spectrum of different sexuality's, and it is crazy to think of any sexual or racial activity as "normal". This day in age their is not such thing as a "man" or a "woman" or a "white" person or a "black" person, there is no template as to what people are expected to look like, act like, or love. So no, I do not think transraciality is socially "normal" TODAY, but maybe in 100 years transraciality will be society's definition of "normal", but stop and think about if this is a social concept and definition or if it is scientifically correct. Because race does not exist, UNESCO released this conclusion after a series of anthropologists, ethnologists, sociologists an psychologists have concluded that race is not scientifically in existence.

• First off, as an Anthropology student...

There is scientifically no such thing as race. We are all human, if we peel away the skin and show the red innards, its all still a human being. If there is anything Rachel Dolezal should identify as, Identify as a human being, because that is what well all are, a bunch of sexy good lookin primates. (Drops mic.)

• Race is you're genetic heritage.

One can't change their ancestry if one where to choose to identify with another culture that's another story. It already had a name multi cultural, a child adopted into another culture is a good example of this. Many minorities are discriminated against because of their race meaning genetic traits most likely their skin color. Their discriminated against regardless of what culture they belong to. So to claim to have be part of a race that experiences heavy discrimination based on their appearance is insulting. Especially when you won't face the discrimination because you don't share their racial features.

• Race does not exist.

• No, but insanity is

The only difference between Caucasians and African-Americans in modern society is the pigmentation of skin. Aside from that, there is little real difference between the races. In today's society, Ms. Dolezal should be ashamed and decried for passing herself off as a black woman to be president of her chapter of the NAACP. In reality, what Ms. Dolezal is perpetuating is that you can't care or have concern for the status of black men and women unless you are, in fact, black, and in a society that strives for equality, this insinuation is an affront to the progress that the United States has made.

• Depends How You Mean

If you mean philosophically, then yes, a person can act or even think like a particular race. But acting like a particular race does not make you part of that race. There is a large amount of white people who attempt to imitate black culture, but the reality of it is that these people are simply not black, and will likely never encounter the same struggles that actual black people face on a daily basis.

• LOL, are you kidding?

This is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Why would anybody want to change their race? You are what you are, be proud of it. This lady lied to the world and on job applications and I don't think anybody respects a liar. Is transracial real, no, I don't think so, It's not the same as transgender. There are medical reasons that people are transgender such as hormones, body development, etc. and I feel transgender is different than gay/lesbian. Transracial would be more of a psychological issue. So the woman needs a good institution.

• Gotta call BS on Dolezal

In 2002, Dolezal sued Howard University, claiming that she didn't get a teaching assistant job, a scholarship, and other employment, because she was white. (Personally, I find this hilarious, given that she later was trying to pass herself off as black.) She lost, and had to pay part of the University's costs, as well as an additional $1000 "for an “obstructive and vexatious” filing attempting to delay her medical exam."

At the least, she is clearly self-serving - she knew darn well at that time that she's white. I am not sure how the medical exam comes into play here, but the court's opinion was that she was trying to pull some crap, so to speak, and it doesn't surprise me. If she feared the medical exam, I'm speculating that she didn't want to be "outed" as a white person by being examined.

I do think that race is a social construct, yet we cannot change genetic, physical fact, no matter how much spray tan one might use.

If there is such a thing as "transracial" then I'd say we all are, i.e. to some extent we like some things that would be identified with "races" other than that which we are.

• It is all genetics!

The only thing that determines your ethnic background (race) is your genetics! We can not change our genes, so we cannot change whether or not we are a certain race, gender, etc. No matter what you do to your body, you are still what you were the moment you were conceived and your genetic code was completed.

• If you're white, you're white! *my opinon*

If you want to identify with a particular ethnicity and its culture, that is totally fine. Anybody in the world can embrace a culture and appreciate it, but you can not blatantly lie, and say you are of a certain race that which you are not. One can not simply switch ethnicities.

Cooldudebro says2015-07-20T07:38:05.127
I would like to ask how transracial isn't a thing when transgender is. :3