Religion has the ability to evoke feelings out of people to want to do exceptional good. Can non-religious people evoke the same feelings in others?

Asked by: YuliyaMosk
  • I want to say yes...

But in all and complete honesty, I have never heard from, say, non-Christians, about how they want to share, forgive, help, etc. other people the way Christians do. I still am not sure how this belief in God inspires people to give up so much of themselves. I'd like to hear the opinions of others!

• Why do we do charity?

The only reason society would need a god to do good is if we are all naturally incredibly selfish evil human beings that need some divine consequence to keep the majority of us from cruelty. Religion serves as a good way to bond people which means that they have more charity groups but unless the only reason people do charity is is for their own eternal benefit, which isn't the case, than atheists can be just as persuasive, just in a different way. Atheists believe that this is all there is, that what you do here is all that matters. Logically, wouldn't that mean that helping earthly things is would be more important to them? Outside of evangelism, logic dictates that charity would be almost useless for people because life is eternal so this short time shouldn't matter, which is why generally the 1st priority is evangelism in whatever a religious group is doing something. If God is needed for us to help each other, then humanity is a pretty terrible thing.

• It doesn't matter

My neighbors who claim to be the best Christians ever never do volunteer work, help others, and they are just plain mean, I am an atheist and do volunteer work every week, not believing in god just means that we dictate our own lives and don't DEPEND on some higher power to run our lives for us. You don't have to be religious to want to help people, forgive, people and make the world a better place, its just your personal mindset