Remember, remember the 5th of November! Is Guy Fawkes a hero?

Asked by: chrumbelievable
  • Guy Fawkes supporter!!!!

Many individuals around the world will dislike the idea of Guy Fawkes being recognized as a hero. I know he is NOT a "hero" , but... He was a freedom fighter. He stood up for the people of England, and against the oppression of the government . Remember the 5

• Yes he is

All those who gain power are afraid to loose it. He openly challenged authority and this was big for then. Open rebellion is not a threat to Demorcrcy but vital for it. He wanted to save the princess. The gunpowder plot showed the anger of the people. Even the princess said Guy Fawkes you are my only hope. He is a hero and inspiration to challenge authority.

• Most certainly yes.

Guy Fawks was a man with an idea of freedom. Almost every country prides themselves on how "free" they are. So why can't the people celebrate someone who they see as a freedom fighter. They see an ideal behind a man, using him as a symbol to show their own beliefs. Sure some people think that he is not a hero, but that is up to a persons opinion. I don't think that it should become a governmental recognized holiday, but it should be more recognized.

• And he should be celebrated as such.

When a government takes too much power, and leaves the people with nothing, it is the unified duty of the people to fight. And that's what Fawkes did, he fought. Against tyranny and oppression. He was a man with a vision, an idea of freedom. And while he was caught and killed, his idea remains. Whether it's spying on it's citizens, silencing them, or keeping their rights from them, it is the people's duty to fight. That's what Guy Fawkes was, more than a man. An idea.

• Fought for religious equality

The United States was formed under the ideals of liberty and justice for all. We believed in everyone's right to their own religion and would not support nor deny any one church. Guy Fawkes fought for his religious freedom just as many American revolutionists fought for their freedom. He is not like Al-Qaida or ISIS but the American revolutionaries.

• Fought for religious equality

• By t Cococococixixixkziz

Jciclcixixoxiclxkclcidkvlxjlvizickxixlcizjcozj k jzkcizhclckclck lc r r r r r r r. R r t g t t t t. T t t t t t t t. T t ft. T t t t t t t. Ft. T t t t t t t t t t t t t tyt

• Guy Fawkes is an example to us all - by John Xavier

He rebelled against a corrupt man - the Protestant king, 'gods representative on earth', let me tell you something - God has but one representative on earth at this time who I follow. Pope Francis, his holiness, leader of the catholic people. The monarchy tried to take the power from god, but he and I alike do not serve the man who gets power through his predecessors oppressing my people, I do not serve a position funded by the looting and destruction of the lord's monasteries and the theft of the cathedrals from my God. Guy Fawkes, like so many after him, notably the Irish catholic rebellions and the American revolutionaries, and all those of any true Christian faith who fought the monster that is the monarchy and Church of England who are lead by a pretender, is a warrior of Christendom and an example for us all. The Holy Spirit is not inherited, the gift of eternal life is not inherited, and the title of pope is not inherited, it is earned. If I have learnt anything of my hero Guy Fawkes, it is that each of us can stand up in the face of oppression and persecution, that we are not slaves of some person with a crown who may as we'll claim they are Jesus Christ saviour of the world for all the truth in their lies, we are not slaves, we are Christian brothers and sisters, united as one in the Holy Spirit, we are no 'church of England' worshipping little Prince George. Now, you must ask yourself, who are you? A king-worshiper, or a disciple of Christ as Guy Fawkes was; for I know what I would say, for in many ways each and every one of us is Guy Fawkes, and each of us has the potential to carry the torch he bore, for he may burn on bonfires, but he does not burn in hellfire, he is with The Lord.
    So who are you? The weak king James? Or the mighty crusader?

By John Xavier

• Freedom of Religion

Being a Catholic myself, I gladly support Fawkes' struggle for the citizens' freedom to believe in what they want without persecution.

Though his methods may be quite harsh, I believe that Bonfire night is a stupid Ant-Catholic event and he deserves respect for standing up for what he believes in;

• Fought for Jesus

He fought and died for Jesus. He was a martyr. The English were fighting the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, the Bride of Christ, established by Jesus nigh 2000 years ago. It was completly justified. The Anglicans have no valid clam to authority. They were heretical schismatics. England was Catholic before they showed up. Blessed be The Name of God forever!

• Not a hero

As was explained before, he was trying to restore catholic control. The fifth is celebrated as a triumph over anarchy, that the gunpowder treason plot was foiled. Regardless, I love V for vendetta, and I go around on the fifth of November saying:
    Remember, remember,
    The Fifth of November,
    Gunpowder treason and plot;
    For I see no reason
    Why Gunpowder Treason
    Should ever be forgot

• Guy Fawkes Should not be celebrated

I believe that we celebrate People who actually don't matter or who didn't contribute to this great nation, like Columbus we celebrate him, but for what reason, exactly none. Guy Fawkes is not a hero in my eyes so he should not be celebrated. So therefore I believed we shouldn't.

• Democracy Nearly Died

Guy Fawkes, a anarchist Catholic behind the failed Gunpowder Plot of 1605 To attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament, arguably the most important building in the United Kingdom is definitive proof of his opposition to democracy. If his plan had succeeded, can you imagine the consequences?Without a functioning government, the UK would be in turmoil. No laws, taxes or any form of governance. Revolt and civil unrest would be strife. So Guy Fawkes; anarchist, YES, hero, NO.

• He is not a hero

His actions should be remembered possibly in a positive light, but he attempted to kill hundreds or thousands of people in an attempt to destroy parliament and replace the king. Today that would be seen as terrorism. If his actions represented the view of the majority of the population, it would not be so bad (as it would no longer be terrorism but a civil uprise).

• Are the YES people stupid?

The fifth of November is celebrating his failure... It celebrates that he didn't kill the King and the House of Lords.

Guy Fawkes wasn't trying to liberate Britain... He was trying to put it back under Catholic control... He was a religious terrorist! How can you call this guy a hero, and celebrate him without actually knowing what he was up to?

• One of the first religious extremists

If you think the like of ISIS and Al-Qaida are terrorists, then you have to put Guy Fawkes and his co-conspirators in the same boat. Fawkes went abroad to fight in a religious war for Spain against the Dutch, then returned to try to replace the Protestant monarchy with a catholic one - which would be puppetered by Spain. That's definitely not a freedom fighter in my book and is eerily familiar to the current fear of homegrown terrorists coming back from fighting in the Middle East... The only reason people associate him with freedom fighter status is because of V for Vendetta, and the fact the mask is pretty boss looking. And the fact Americans don't really tend to read up on history before 1778...

• Fawkes was a terrorist

...And his crew. The Gunpowder Plotters' plan was to blow up the legitimate government of England and Scotland and install a very young princess (Elizabeth of Bohemia) on the vacated throne, who would be the puppet of the King of Spain, who was selling himself as God's soldier at the time.

This would have been 9/11 and the US invasion of Iraq rolled into one: a legitimate government decapitated and replaced by an incompetent puppet, propped up by foreign soldiers (the Spanish) and controlled by a foreign master, all under the banner of a religious crusade. By any lights, it was terrorism.

• Guy Fawkes was ...

... A disgruntled military veteran who became a low ranking member of a cell of hard right wing religious terrorists who wanted to kill a lot of people and put a 9-year old girl on the throne as a puppet ruler under the direction of Spain (not that Spain wanted anything to do with these idiots). He was given one task, which he messed up, and then he sold out his comrades.

He was a small pathetic man, and we celebrate his failure. Those "Yes" fellows have been watching too much V for Vendetta.

• Killer of King amost

He should not have our holiday named after him it is not fair for all the people who do good unlike guy Fawkes who tried to kill the king fortunately failed and was caught so why does he get a holiday named after him doesn't seem very fair if you ask me

• He was a terrorist.

Going to extreme lengths to kill in the name of religion. Sound familiar? No better than Al Qaeda. Any Christian that claims he did the work of God but detest and criminalise what extremist Muslims do are hypocrites. It is terrorism to kill thousands of people no matter what book you read.

donald.keller says2013-11-07T06:10:58.157
Does nobody realize that the fifth of November is celebrating that guy Fawkes failed?