Right-to-die advocate ends own life: Should suicide be legalized for terminally ill patients?

• Yes, I think terminally ill patients should be able to chose a way out.

Yes, I think suicide should be legalized for terminally ill patients. You should be able to choose whether or not you want to be hooked up to machines or just let nature take its course. I think that should be everybody's right. So, yes, I think suicide should be legalized for terminally ill patients.

• Yes, it is already occuring. It must be regulated.

Euthanasia should be legalized and regulated for terminally ill patients who are suffering, who have no chance of recovering and for which a cure is unlikely within the rest of their natural lives. Currently, unregulated euthanasia is occurring for reasons the may be nefarious in secretive settings. Without proper regulation and record keeping authorities have no way of tracking this. Old age or unhappiness are not a legitimate reasons for a person to choose euthanasia.

• Yes, suicide should be legalised for terminally ill patients.

People who are terminally ill require constant care and attention all their lives. Some can barely feed or clothe themselves. With the busy world today, they may end up neglected or abandoned in homes causing them to go into depression. If depression goes on for too long it may become chronic.This would only help to accelerate their problems. Therefore,suicide should be legalised for those people who can not be helped by any other means.

• Legalizing doctor assisted suicide is a hard call, but might be the right one.

No one is arguing that a life is something that can just be though away. However, people with a terminal illness are not just throwing their life away. Their life has already be claimed by their enemy, their disease. Is it so wrong for them to search for a way to pull themselves out of the klutzes of cancer? Or whatever is claiming them. Maybe the can't beat it; but they can choose to go on their terms. Before the disease steals all they are and have.

• Its Against God's Plan!

Before I begin, I would also like to make clear that I am defining patients who are choosing when and how they die are committing suicide because they are intentionally taking their own life.
    Physical life itself is a terminal illness. From the day we are born we begin to die. Genesis 3:19 says, “...For you are dust, and to dust you shall return.” By taking their own physical life the patient is risking eternity apart from God. The physical suffering in death we have in this life is brief while our spiritual life with God is everlasting.
    By taking your own life, you are committing a sin. The Sixth Commandment is “Thou shalt not murder," (Exodus 20:13). Are patients human beings? Of course! So by taking their own life, they are committing murder because they are a human beings.
    My third observation is that, if you are not a Christian, death will not relieve your pain. Many believe that through death, there will be no more pain or suffering. However, Revelation 21:8 says, “... The unbelieving...Their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”
    Terminally ill patients who choose to take their own life and do believe they are saved through Jesus Christ are no longer depending on God provide for them or have faith in the plan that He has laid out for them. Jesus prayed to God in the Garden of gethsemane saying, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will” (Matthew 26:39). Jesus could have taken His own life to avoid such a horrible death, but instead He followed God’s will for Him. Terminally ill believers ought to acknowledge God’s plan in their life and rely on Him for both spiritual and physical comfort.
    Terminally ill patients who choose to die, they are depriving God of the glory that He would receive in His healing of them. This is demonstrated in John when Jesus raises Lazarus from the dead and says, “This illness does not lead to death. It is for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified through it” (John 11:4). Suppose someone with terminal brain cancer decides to kill themselves rather than suffer with disease and then two weeks after their death a cure is found. Kara Tippetts, a 38 year-old woman died of breast cancer. She suffered all the effects of her cancer with full assurance that God will save her in her sufferings. She wrote a letter to Brittany Maynard, a woman with terminal brain cancer who later took her own life with aid in suicide saying, “Brittany, my heart longs for you to know this truth, this love, this forever living. Hastening death was never what God intended… Knowing Jesus, that he understands my hard goodbye, he walks with me in my dying… he protected my living beyond this place.”