Russian vs. Georgian justifications in 2008 South Ossetia war: Can Russia's actions be considered "peacekeeping" or "humanitarian"?

• Russia's actions could be considered peacekeeping.

It seems that Russia's actions could not be considered anything but peacekeeping, from my point of view. The Georgians were the ones that first attacked Russian Peacekeepers causing may casualties, especially for those who tried to resist the assault. Russia really had no choice but to deploy units of the Russian 58th and launch air strikes to protect themselves.

• No, Russia's actions cannot be considered "peacekeeping" or "humanitarian" in the Russian vs. Georgian justifications in 2008 South Ossetia war.

In my opinion, Russia's actions cannot be considered "peacekeeping" or "humanitarian". To the best of my knowledge the efforts that were made toward diplomatic resolution to the conflict were insufficient and offered little or no compromise. The conflict had been coming on for a great deal of time and should have been averted through diplomatic means via the United Nations.