Russian vs. Georgian justifications in 2008 South Ossetia war: Was Russia's response proportional to Georgia's initial action?

• Yes it was

OK Was the US’ government response proportional to pearl harbor? Same thing happened here. The citizens themselves are grateful to Russia because they liberated them from the dictatorship of Georgia. Look it up and tell me if you see a single Georgian that says Russia is the “bad guy”? I think Russia was perfectly justified in it’s response.

• Russia Was Invaded

Georgia invaded sovereign Russian territory with ground troops and fired upon Russian peacekeepers. The resulting air strikes and raids sent by Russia against Georgia were precisely the response needed to head off any further escalation of hostilities. It doesn't matter who started the fighting in what is a regional clash among ethnic peoples. Legally, Georgia had no right to invade Russian territory.

• They made it a bigger deal than it had to be.

I'm not trying to justify the actions taken by Georgia, but I am saying that Russia only stirred up more trouble in South Ossetia (and Abkhazia, for that matter). These were never the most stable regions, but now they're in this strange limbo between countries. And it will really at nobody's benefit. Also, what is simply disgusting, is the fact that there was practically a genocide against the Georgians of South Ossetia and Abkhazia during the war. Russia is barbaric.

• Russia's Response Was Not Proportional

In the five day South Ossetia War between Russia and Georgia, Russia's response was not proportional to Georgia's initial action. The European Union investigated and found that Georgia started the war, but was provoked and that Russia's response was not proportional. The attack by Russia was found to violate International Law.