School NEEDS to be shorter! What do you think? I have problems speaking to people because I can't talk at school!

Asked by: KraZkid
  • School should be shorter

School is 7 HOURS LONG!!! My school starts at 8:30 and ends at 3:22 after that, I have to do my homework! By the time I finish my homework, I have to sleep! I saw the video "I just sued the school system!" and I think EVERYONE should see it. I'm taking an extracurricular activity and it's once a week for one hour! From that, I've learned a lot. School is 7 times as long! For 5 whole days! 35 hours a week vs 1 hour a week! That's 35 weeks (about 8 months!) I miss getting to be with family and friends and I only see my mom for 4 hours! We stay up for about 14 hours a day and most of that time is taken up by school and homework! Someone needs to talk some sense into whoever wants school to be longer and whoever made school this longgg!

• School Defenatly needs to be shorter

Honestly school feels a little too long for our own good. School does do the right thing, teaching us vauable skills, but we also need more time to spend as a kid. School needs to move a little faster with our work, so we can have more time to do us. We have to take advanadge of our childhood. School also needs more time for summer.

• It is 7 hours of pure ignorance

School is a horrible place where teachers only care about work, grades, and marks. As it may be school that some schools have nice teachers, many just want to teach kids stuff that they shouldn't learn.
    Kids don't get a chance to play, draw, color, read or even write at their own free will- only being permitted to do so on a teacher's terms. This kind of act towards a kid can upset them, and even worse, lower their self esteems horribly. They also teach kids things out of their interests, very forcibly I might add, while they should teach swimming, survival, and, even supernatural stuff.

• School is hurtful!

At my schools, the motto is: CARE. However, the motto is wrong, and the teachers DO NOT care about a child's emotions or physical pain. They have little stuff to help injured children, and don't let me read, draw, or write at my own free will. However, they want me to do all this on THEIR terms. I also think that they should teach us swimming, survival and even about the supernatural. At many schools, teachers themselves ONLY care about a child's work, rather than their personality. They don't bond, or even care about someone's feelings. As a matter a fact, it's almost like they want to destroy our personalities. They always say hurtful things about my work, not even listening to my defense about why it was "bad". They expect me to be an artist, even though they don't teach me how to draw!
    What I have "learned", is to yell at children for not being good at things. Also, it's a waste of my time, as I rarely use my personal skills. It's like I can't have ANY feelings AT ALL for seven hours straight! They force me to talk on THEIR terms, and I feel like they're constantly putting down my skills.
    All they are about are our "marks" and "grades", but there IS a such thing as emotions and personalities.

• We need time for cultivating other interests .

School is a place for studying, but not for cultivating ourselves interests. Otherwise, living is not only about learning, some entertainments are required for adjust our life, thus, people invented lots of different lifestyles. In addition to this, the process of you cultivating the interests out of school, it may help you discover the advantage of yourself.

• We are not other countries!

The U.S spends so much time yapping about how our students aren't smart, we have the highest record number of high school dropouts and blah blah BLAH! The United States is not Korea, Japan, Switzerland, Germany, or Cambridge. You can't force people to be smart if their not going to. So why make us stay at an institution that is pushing this paradigm! In other countries, they do have long school, but it's broken up, it's not straight through like U.S high schools. They'll have a morning class, an afternoon class, and that's mainly it. Some kids have night classes if they want to get ahead.
    U.S is just trying to shove college down our throats so that the states can raise the tuition money and suck us dry. Because that's all college is. A money making machine. I love education, I'm in some of the top classes at my school. But, come on! I need to foster friendships and relationships with my family. What good is life without these relationships? And, if you want to do anything after school or outside of school, you better buy some coffee to finish all of your homework. I just hate it so much! We need to have new solutions for a new generation who will not tolerate this anymore!!

• We are not other countries!

• We are not other countries!

• We are not other countries!

The U.S spends so much time yapping about how our students aren't smart, we have the highest record number of highschool dropouts and blah blah BLAH! The United States is not Korea, Japan, Swistzerland, Germany, or Cambridge. You can't force people to be smart if their not going to. So why make us stay at an institution that is pushing this paradigm! In other countries, they do have long school, but it's broken up, it's not straight through like U.S highschools. They'll have a morning class, an afternoon class, and that's mainly it. Some kids have night classes if they want to get ahead.
    U.S is just trying to shove college down our throats so that the states can raise the tuition money and suck us dry. Because that's all college is. A money making machine. I love education, I'm in some of the top classes at my school. But, come on! I need to foster friendships and relationships with my family. What good is life without these relationships? And, if you want to do anything afterschool or outside of school, you better buy some cofffee to finish all of your homework. I just hate it so much! We need to have new solutions for a new generation who will not tolerate this anymore!!

• Work doing great

<a href='https://www.Genevents.Biz'>My Events</a> Thanks for the share. I am so excited to be here. Honestly, we do every other thing like play games and text all day but it's bad to do something actually do something productive. The only reason pro age school this longing. School is 7 HOURS LONG!!

• We will be even more behind

We are already so far behind many other countries on the education scale, and an increase of reinforcement outside the classroom will increase learning done in the classroom. For some people their school life is better than their home life, and being in school longer helps them get the education they need or maybe they lack of at home.

• School was not invented to teach kids in a tedious way, we make it tedious by giving the teacher a hard time.

School is basically the key to open a door, meaning that without school our lives will be unsuccessful and ruined. So it is very important to attend school at its set time, and not complain. Now you may be asking, how are we making school tedious? Well, we won't pay attention to the teacher and we don't give our teachers the respect that they give us, so that means that when you act disrespectfully towards the teachers, you will have the feeling that we all get when we think that our teacher gets us in trouble intentionally for small stupidity. This makes these type of feelings develop a boring moment that will stay for a time frame. Additionally, we interpret the school work boring since is nothing that is interesting enough to inspire you to stay focus and care about your work, but like I said, it is based on our respect towards teachers, if you give your teacher a hard time, is like saying that she gives us tedious work to do, so in order for we to get our interesting and fun designed work, we should not give teachers a hard time, that affects their energy to make work interesting. Hope you guys agree to my opinion on why school is boring and should not be shortened in time

• The length of the school day should increase.

The school system needs an overhaul for entirely different reasons. Your complaints are that your teachers are aboosive. I personally blame the unions, but that's just me. In other news, students in school are students not engaging in illicit activities openly. After reading your little tirade, I'm going to give you a wholly unprofessional text-based diagnosis of ADD based on my understanding of it, and I advise you talk to your guidance counselor if your school has one, regardless of what you've got on your plate.
    You didn't link the video you recommended everyone should watch, so I will.
    Http://www.Youtube.Com/watch?V=dqTTojTija8
    Having watched it, allow me to retort.

• School is just fine the way it is.

I suppose for children 7 hours may seem like a very long day, but to be honest it is not. I would say the average person works 8-10 hours a day at their jobs. School is only 7. Also another reason that school is so long is so that students can take the classes they need and also want to take. If school was shorter you would only be taking the main classes like math, English, science, history, etc. When school is longer you get to take more classes on top of the regular ones such as art, music, physical education, business, accounting, etc. Next i have heard the argument of homework. Well yeah there is homework, but lets be honest i don't think that many people can tell me that they go home, do homework, and have 0 time for other things. If you tell me that you either need to switch schools or you may have a learning disability (which i am not saying that is bad). Throughout my High School career i can only remember one or two times that my homework took me more than 2 or 3 hours. School simulates an average job because of it long hours. Though i will agree with anyone that says that the current schooling system in the United States is bad. I think that school should only be able to give a certain amount of homework per day, and that school could use some more individuality and creativity. But the hours are one of the main things that should never be changed.

• It does not matter

The thing about the question, "how long should school be?" is that there is too much research supporting both sides. One could argue that making the school day longer allows for more academics or other subjects, whereas one could also argue that longer school days leads to less motivation and more overall stress. In Finland, which is a world, educational superpower, school is five hours long, from 9 to 2; whereas in Shanghai, another educational superpower, school is from 8 to 5 (depending on the level). Both places have high academic achievement and performance, but have differing stances of length of school day. While other factors do play a role in their academic successes, school day length is a contributing factor.
    The truth is, to does not matter how long the school day is, as long as you have a plan for what to do with the more or less time you may have. If you made the school day longer, while not compensating for the extra time, it might lead to academic decline; but if you have a "good" plan for what to do with that extra time, then it might lead to higher academic performance. If you want a five-hour school day, good, as long as you have a plan for it. If you want an eight hour school day, good, as long as you have a plan for it. I believe we should make the school day between 5 and 8 hours long, but that's just my opinion. You, your school district, your administrators, whatever should decide.

• NO it shouldnt

Alot of kids have friends at school and mostly go for the social purpose i wouldnt go to school if i could not be social we need to be social if we dont have other people we will fall into a depression for suicide rates and more people dropping out

• I am a sophomore in high school

The length of the school day is ok, I go from 7:45 to 2:45. I am in all hon. Chemistry, hon. Algebra 2, and
    Hon. World History. I play varsity soccer and varsity track. I go try to got to bed ten but the only thing that I don't have time for is all the homework. If teachers just didn't assign so much homework then it would be fine.

• Your future is being created now.

I don't know where you guys live, but in my state education is highly regarded and very important, we are one of the only states that has millions put away that is devoted to school, scholarships, and education. Because of this we have some of the top scores in the U.S. I am in MIDDLE SCHOOL and we go 7 1/2 hours of straight school. I would say my school is run well. The motto is CLASSY, as well as "Social and Academic excellence". If school gets shorter, that takes away more learning which means MORE SCHOOL DAYS TO MAKE UP FOR IT. We are already way behind other counties. They are learning in elementary what we learn as freshman. Some may say that this doesn't matter and that we can go at our own pace, but then we will be behind in technology, inventing, reading and language, etc. We are already bad off, if we ever got into a war with Japan, Germany, Korea etc. lets just say that we would LOSE!!! As of the teacher thing, there will always be terrible teachers, just know that many are selfish and only care about the money they make. I DO AGREE with the fact that schools should also teach other skills, like survival and such, I also agree that it somewhat puts down creativity, but school is still VITAL.

• School should most defiantly stay as long as it is

School is there for your education, you only hate it because you have a negative approach to it, school is quite fun with the correct resources. Homework is used to HELP you remember what you learned, like flash cards!, we take education for granted because there are children who do not have access to any education.

• No school should stay the way it is.

I totally disagree for this so your saying that school should be short and for what?
    To sit on the couch and have no education and just watch TV and play games when school could give us a better future so that you can have a career and have a successful life.