Do schools put too much pressure on students nowadays?

• Hi this is brandonw

• I am stressed and depressed

Mostly due to school. I cant take this. I'm 16 and in year 11. I find myself really stressed and pressured due to school. And there's nothing else I can do. I can't just leave because I have no idea what I want to do. I cry over school way too much. We are supposed to learn but all we are learning is how to memorize bull and write it under pressure. A skill we don't need, agree?

• Possibly Not Graduating

I usually turn my homework in on time and get decent grade. My counselors have called me stupid and that I won't amount to anything in life because I've gotten a few D's and F's in the past. I'm at risk of not graduating because of the stupid work samples and test that are required. As well as me being forced to retake classes that I'm required to take, because I "failed", I got C's in those classes. There are more levels of those class I need to take to graduate but I can't because my counselors forced me to retake lower levels of the required courses. Now as a senior I have a 30% chance of graduating. My friends who have a 25-45% chance of graduating are being told to "just drop out, don't even try, our programs to help students with a low chance of graduating won't help you". I transferred schools my sophomore year. Since then I have had mental breakdowns due to the pressure the put on students to graduate. Have about 3 mental break downs a day because of the stress from school. My friends have at least one a day as well. I've been struggling to graduate since sophomore year. Every year my school district adds new requirement for graduation. We have to pass test and specific level of classes and work samples. All showing that we've learned something, but they're testing us on stuff that we haven't been taught. Administration don't help you out very much with meeting graduation requirements. Teachers at my school are starting to give ridiculous amount of homework, with unrealistic deadlines. They don't take into consideration that I have other classes or chores or I need to sleep. I get about 5-6 homework assignments a night. Every now and then I'll have 7, when I get one in yearbook. In math class I get assigned 30-50 problems a night on stuff we don't get taught or note for until the next day. I have 3 days to write an essay in my English class, as well as read 1-2 chapter of a book each night. I have 3 days to research, write and memorize a speech.(that's not too bad when I get enough time in the computer lab at school, memorizing is the hardest part). I have one assignment every night in Mythology. Then I have 1 day to write a movie review, after we finish watching the movie in my history class. (That's another easy assignment) Adding all of these up it takes me hours to do my homework. Then I fall behind because I need a day off to catch up on sleep or I'm seriously sick. Plus my teachers RARELY give out extensions, because no matter what you could've come to school, unless you're in the hospital about to die. I struggle to pay attention in class sometimes due lack of sleep because I'm up all night doing homework.

• We're not being taught how to do things.

Everything we are learning is completely different from what our parents learned in high school. I wish I knew how to study and take good notes, but all I do is copy down what our teachers tell us to copy down and it's not even good enough information for us to pass a test on with. I have only ONE teacher that teaches us like adults and everyone in her class has a high grade including me. But all my other classes are crap because when I ask for help, teachers don't bother helping they're just like "Go look for it in the book or ask a classmate." Um, hello? I'm obviously asking you because no one else gets it. And then we're pressured into this mindset that we need good grades so we can get into a good college so we can have a job and not be homeless or still living with our parents. I can't stress about this enough, teachers say we have it easy but in fact I think we have it harder than them. There are so many budget cuts that we can't even take fun classes. I see these movies where there's Home Ec, Car Shops, Cooking, 20+ language classes to choose from, etc, and I see so many other schools including mine that don't have that because we have bad test scores because we don't know how to study because our teachers think the "study guides" they give us will help because they don't know how to teach and because they don't want to help us do better in school.

• Pressure, unessary, kids

Life isn't all about a paper, everyone is different and we all excel in various respects. There should be a system in place that is capable of exploiting the full potential of every unique person. The people who do good in the prescribed papers aren't necessarily talented, they may have done good on the certain test, but perhaps other people are superior in drawing and designing.

• Yes defiantly !!

I am 15 and in year 11, I get around 16 peices of homework a week, never go out on weekends as I have to do my homework, end up getting a detention for not enough effort and I spend my evenings crying over school. I never see my friends anymore and have to stay at school until 5:30 now because they are forcing me too. I know I don't have long left but I can't deal with it anymore and it takes me to the edge :(

• I Can't Take It

Look, I'm an overachiever. I'm going to be in the top 20 kids in my class. I take AP classes. And I try really hard. But I'm breaking down. School is destroying me. I have no time for a social life or the sports I used to enjoy so much. My average night is get home at 3:00, do homework until about 1:30 AM, and go to bed. Most nights I don't eat dinner. I can't go on like this. It's been like this sense 5th grade. 5th graders are ten years old! I'm in 8th grade now. But the problem is that I do about 95% of my learning through homework. If it was abolished my grades would slip terribly. But this is extremely excessive.

• There is not enough time for people to have freedom after school

School puts a lot of pressure on students because they give way to much homework and we don't have free time anymore like we use to. Know kids like me dose not want to go to school anymore. This is really causing kids to fail in there classes. This is why we should shorten school days.

• Stress and depression

School puts a lot of stress on students, and for me it becomes hard because I try everything I can, and sometimes its not good enough, and sometimes one class in one subject is harder than another class with the same subject, and there's so much work that students hardly have enough free time. I DO think school is important, but it should be going easier and more relaxing for students. As well as so many tests and projects that could be due over a short period of time, I don't do many after school activities and its still hard to find good time management for so much work.

• There is too much pressure on young teens and young adults at such an early age.

Putting all this pressure on children, could lead to anxiety or depression. Some teenagers do not know how to deal with stress properly. Athletes are also working double. The athletes are expected to be number one in the grade book and on the field. School is more focused on what is better for the school's reputation, but it should be focusing more on students and their future. Having school from seven in the morning to four in the afternoon, and then after school activities... Is so much to do. Having school should not stop a child from being an athlete. Just because they want to focus on there grades, does not mean they should not pursue their dream as a professional athlete.

• No, schools don't put enough pressure on students.

There was a statistic coming out of New York City that said that over 60 percent of high school graduates could not read beyond a 5th grade level. That is a failure on schools to have students who are not capable of understanding literature at the required 12th grade level. Schools have stopped focusing on teaching and instead placed a value on the welfare of teachers instead of students. Schools need to increase the school day from 7-2Pm to 7-5Pm. More time needs to be spent in schools teaching.

• No. Family values decreasing, expectations on kids are slacking. We need to place some kind of expectation on kids for the future of our society.

Kids don't even have to do chores at home anymore. They spend their evenings in front of the television and video games, which are providing no educational or moral value. Kids are only in school about 6 hours a day and the hours put in nor the academic standards compete at all with the education kids from other countries are getting. This is only an issue because kids are starting to think the world owes them something and they don't have to DO anything to get it.

• Schools: Not Enough Pressure

If we look at other countries around the world, we see children who thirst for an education. In America, getting a 65 on a test is passing. In my opinion this is absurd. Schools should higher their criteria and challenge students. Most students drop out of school after they are done with high school. Kids have an opportunity to get a free education and they take advantage of this.

• Most pressure comes from parents, not schools.

If anyone is putting any pressure on kids, it would have to be their parents. Most parents want their kids to get good grades, get a scholarship and head to university. Therefore a lot of parents usually pressure their kids. However most schools have different academic levels so the children can focus on their work and do what's based on their academic level. Schools offer different programs to help students academically, physically and mentally. Schools do pressure students to do well in their studies and try to get good grades, but it's not pressure that a student would not be able to handle.

• No We Do Not

School are not putting too much pressure on students these days. There is the same amount of pressure that there was back in the day. Students are asked to go to school, excel in their classes and stay out of trouble That isn't too complicated or too much pressure in my opinion.

• You can choose

Students are given assignments at a specific time to keep students out of pressure. If they would focus on completing the given assignment ahead of time, it would prevent stress and pressure. Students are given the choice of whether or not their homework is going to be stressful when they are given their homework. They can get it done the day it's assigned, or they can put themselves under pressure when they put it off until the last minute.

• Not all schools, only high schools and PARENTS!

The Peel District Board says ten minutes of homework each grade. Example: 10 minute grade ones, 20 minutes grade twos, 30 minutes grade 3 and so on. Everything is goes right until a High school when teens stay up until late night to finish homework. Parents ALSO cause stress. Parents force kids to reach a higher level than they can leading to more of a worse grade. Kou Murayama, who started the study, says " Too much parental aspiration can be 'poisonous'." Society also puts stress since there is stigma on University: that if you don't get a degree, you're stupid. Bulling is also a cause which is 100% PERVENTABLE. So don't blame it ALL on schools.

• It's the teachers job to put pressure on students.

I do understand that teachers can make you crack under the pressure, since they pile up a bunch of homework on you and make you take a test (it feels like) every other day. However, students need to learn how to use all of the time that they can, and get really good at multitasking and time management. We have to learn how to do it now because otherwise we are going to fail out in the real world. Out there, in adulthood, they expect us to be used to pressure and to be able to handle it. Teachers are a huge part in teaching us how to do that.

• I AM IN SEC 2 AND STUDY IN SINGAPORE and I always find my time is not enough.

I have to cope with 10 subjects now,as well as my CCA twice a week.There are also extra lessons,remedial for maths and sometimes for science,with lost of homework assignments.I used to have time to hang out with my classmates and friends during weekend time,now no more.I got so much exams and tests to face,where go time to pursue my own interest?