Seventh graders: Should kids get paid to do chores?

Asked by: pscheeringa
  • Kids Should Get Paid!

Even though an educated teacher has stated this statistic, there is still disagreement between parents about whether their kids should get paid to do chores. "Children begin to learn what money is - like how the different denominations work - during their pre-k years, but their understanding of the concept and value of money does not emerge fully until 6 yrs or older," says Loraine Breffni, director of early childhood at Nova southeastern University's mailman Segal center for human development in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Parents are in turmoil. They do not know if they should give their kids money for doing something that most people think to be: "A part of everyday family responsibility."
    And if they do, questions like: "How much?," and "When to start?," pop up. I think, that if you start paying kids to do chores now, that they will learn money "cents," or sense. Or, as Geoff Williams of the U.S. news says it, "If your kid manages his or her money successfully as an adult, you'll know it all started out the 'green stuff' [money] on a weekly basis."

In addition, I think one of the reasons people don't pay their kids is because they think it will create a spoiled brat. But, actually, if you don't give them way too much money, the opposite is true! For example: Let's say your kid just did the dishwasher. You say: "Good job!! Here's $10.00! Go have fun!" They aren't gonna do anything bigger unless you decide to give them more money. But, if they have done ALL their chores for the week, then on Saturday (or something) you can give them "What you can afford and nothing more." Most people think a good time to start giving allowance is around the kindergarten age.

Even so, I know some parents at this point are going to say: "I get my kid the stuff they want. Why should I give out money, too?". Well, I have an idea to cope with that. If you start to give out allowance, (say, ten bucks a week) start not getting your child as much stuff. And tell them that you're doing this, as well. This will help them learn a lot more responsibility, like that they have to be independent when they grow up. Don't just give them allowance. If you do, what will happen to your child's career? They will probably end flipping burgers at McDonald's.

In conclusion, you will be doing your child a great favor for his or her future if you pay them to do chores. They will not be so lazy around the house so that you have to do all the work. Just starting at a little bit is good.

• It is a great idea

So, should kids get paid to do chores?

I say yes.. Because parents, can tell their kids to do something for money.. And kids love it!

But, it also teaches kids to do thinks by them self, because they will always say yes to money, but no to no money

• Kids should get paid to do chores.

You can put it as a reward at first. While it's true that our parents supply us everything we need, we also need skills to manage our money in the future. Parents should set a minimum for the kids; for example, $1 for washing and folding the clothes. If your skills improve and you fold faster or neater, then you have earned that money and should get a little more as a reward. This is an initiative for kids to do their chores.

• Of course seventh-graders should get paid to do chores!

Paying kids to do chores makes them responsible with their money. It teaches them how to handle their money, which can be a very important skill to learn in life. It prepares them for the real world. Also, the money will benefit them later on. Their good work needs to be rewarded. Yes, it isn't necessarily sending the correct message (do work, get money), but it will make them enjoy what they're doing. Instead of being forced to wash the dishes, or clean the house, they will start doing it willingly, knowing that they will be rewarded with something they like. They can later on spend their money on what they wish. It will make them feel more proud of themselves. And kids REALLY deserve the money. If parents work hard at work and earn money, why can't kids? Kids can fold the laundry, vacuum the floor, take out the garbage and work twice as hard as them. They should be paid for their efforts. Getting paid for chores will also teach them how to do things themselves, and not make others do it for them. It will teach them the value of a dollar, to start saving, and working hard. In the future, it will help them in their work too. They will know how much effort they need to put in. It will prepare them ahead of time. I totally believe that kids should be paid to do chores, but the amount should be reasonable.
    Not saying you should pay your kids $50 for every spoon they wash, or $20 for every speck of dust they clean; make the amount reasonable.

XxMelissaxX

• Kids should get paid. By Josh S.

I think kids should get paid to do their chores. Research shows that kids getting paid to do chore learn good qualities of life. Getting paid for chores teaches kids the needs and wants. If they have to pay with their own money they might decide they are better off without it. It shows that good work is rewarded and bad work is not. If the work they do is rewarded they might not do chores out of the goodness of their heart. They might think all good work is rewarded and all good work is not rewarded. Even though they might think that they still can learn good aspects of life such as how to handle and earn money responsibly. Adults get paid for their work and kids should too, they could learn from that. Also it prepares them for the real world. The good outweighs the bad. Kids should, get paid for their chores.

• Yes, we should. By Presley

I think kids should get paid to do chores in a reasonable amount and as they get older and wiser with their money and choices increase their pay so they will also learn the skill of money management. I also think you should pay your kid when they do chores ,but if they ever take the week off of chores you should make them do more chores the next week for the same amount of pay, you should also pay your kid less if they’re grounded because they will feel like they are on punishment and learn to not make that mistake . Also it is good for kids to get allowance from chores (note the currency can be anything also a good thing to do is to let them trade their currency for real money to buy things) to learn that money doesn’t grow on trees.

• Yes, I think that kids should get paid for doing chores.

Rob Lieber from the New York Times, argues that if parents do not get paid for doing chores around the house why should children. I do not agree with Mr. Lieber because if the child would do the chores they should get paid for doing them. Doing chores can allow children to learn responsibility which could help them later in life. They can learn how to be responsible with their money as well. Getting paid for doing chores can help the children learn the value of a dollar also.

• I think kids should get paid to do chores. Josh S

• I think kids should get paid to do chores.

Should kids get paid to do chores? My answer is yes because it makes them more responsible with money. Plus, kids are preparing for the real world how nothing good comes out of doing nothing. Child-development expert Walton Heaw’s says “That paying kids to do extra chores such as pulling weeds or washing your car is good.” Kids will learn to appreciate their parents more when working hard because they know you work a lot just to put dinner on the table. Kids will learn consequences of not doing their chores and will be more self-sufficient. Kids that help around the house regularly not expecting a reward should get paid because of how they just want to help.

• Yes we should

Posted by Presley P

• It is a responsibility

Doing chores gives kids a sense of responsibility It is not a job to clean your room it is your responsibility. We shouldn't pay children to do things they are suppose to do. If kids don't get paid by the school to do homework, then they shouldn't be paid by parents to do their chores.

• No, money is never the answer.

Money is a bribe; the moment a parent gives his / her child money to do their chores, the parent is instilling into the child an expectation for money in exchange for work. Money ruins kids' mindsets; they have to realize the value of hard work and appreciate it, rather than just valuing the monetary reward that comes with it (hard work). Besides, depending on how old a kid is, he / she may not use that money responsibly or properly. Who is to say that a kid will not spend his / her pocket money on niceties or a box of cigarettes? Instead of something with monetary value (i.E. Money, etc.), a kid should be rewarded with encouragement or praise from his / her family for doing his / her chores.

• Before you read this, i just want you to know it's an 8 month old.

Before i got into yale, i had to run the whole house ( i still do ) because, i was the only one in my mansion. It was sooooooooooo hard! I had to take a shower by myself! Omg that was the hardest of them all. I still can't figure out how to take my shirt off. So, no kids should not get paid, even 12 year olds ( 13 ) because, i am an 8 month old and i have to run a whole mansion!
    Sincerly, the anonymous 8 month old
    p.S: am i the youngest person to ever go to yale? Seems like it...

• Nope not for daily chores.

Is this question only directed at 7th graders? Because if so I guess I'm disqualified, but I'm still going to offer an opinion. Incentives have to be dealt with very carefully. Incentivizing kids to do something that they are not going to be incentivized to do when they get older (dishes, cleaning up after themselves, taking out the trash...) breeds entitlement.

I feel like kids should have opportunities to earn money while living at home, but not for the chores... Meaning the things that every member of the household should be required to do to maintain a healthy household.

• They already are!!!

Look, your parents are giving you food, shelter, love, education, and innumerable other presents at least twice a year! (unless your birthday is near christmas/Hanukkah) kids! Thats better than any job your likely to get....EVER!!!! And you dont do half the work! So, please, dont complain! This is a stupid opinion!

• No way guys

Why should kids get paid to do chores that they will need to know how to do in the future when and if they move out. If they don't have this skill, they will end up living in their mom's basement. Kids that think they should be paid are spooled brats that don't deserve the money. The world doesn't revolve around kids doing things that they should already be doing anyways. Your parents put a roof over your head and feed you AND give you electronics, but yet they still ask for money. You don't need more, some kids would die to have your place in society. The one that has shelter and food and education. But yet, you still think you deserve money from your parents when you don't deserve a dime of it until you get off your lazy ass and get a damn job. This is all coming from a seventh grade kid that enjoys money. I, however, do not need the money from doing things I should already know how to be doing and be doings on my own anyways.

• I do not think kids should get paid.

If kids get paid to chores they don't learn about real life. If they get paid to do chores then they may be expecting to get money for most other things in life. Parents don't get paid because it is part of family life. And kids will eventually need to when they have their own family. Some people do say that paying them teaches responsibility and money management. But if they need to be taught that they can get a real job. I think that any chores they do at home are already payed for by just being able to live in the house, let alone everything else the parents may do for them.

• No, kids should not get paid to do chores.

I don’t think kids should be paid for doing chores. At first kids may be motivated to do their family jobs for a quarter. In a few years their demanding a dollar for the same jobs. When you pay kids to help out we undermine teamwork, and we contribute to the entitlement epidemic (KidsRKids.Org). It teaches that the only reason to do a less than a desirable task for your family in exchange for payment(KidsRKids.Org). Paying children to do chores may seem ok at first. Parents get paid for their job but do parents get paid for cooking, cleaning, doing the laundry, and all the yard work they do? Everyone does chores because it is part of the family it keeps the family going. We want kids to contribute because chores are important, kids are capable members of the family and everyone has to contribute.

• I think kids should not get paid for chores

I don’t think kids should be paid for chores. Most of the articles I read talked about how kids shouldn’t be paid for their tasks around the house. Almost every time I read an article a parent talked about doing because they have to. Because everybody keeps talking about that one reason I think that it’s the most important one. You shouldn’t get paid for things that you’re supposed to do. It’s almost like your parents are bribing you to behave correctly .There are plenty of ways a kid can make money without their parents. A kid doesn’t need money anyway, if it’s important the mom or dad will pay for it. When the kid is old enough he/she can get a job. When you become an adult nobody will pay you for doing work around the house. Getting paid to do something or just asking for money is still having your parents give you money. It doesn’t make a difference if you ask for it ,or work for it your parents still lose the same amount of money.

• I don't think kids should be paid for chores

Gamapo says2016-03-16T21:44:35.210
Look, your parents are giving you food, shelter, love, education, and innumerable other presents at least twice a year! (unless your birthday is near christmas/Hanukkah) kids! Thats better than any job your likely to get....EVER!!!! And you dont do half the work! So, please......No...