Should 16 be the age when teens can decide if they want to drop out or stay in school?

• NO. Just isn't right

In UK, kids can already decide if they want to drop out or continue with school at the age of 16- and I'm just here thinking they'll get some decent life. The leaving age should be 18, when students are mature enough to REALLY know what they must do with their lives- just like America, they're leaving age is 18. UK, why for ONCE can you follow America?

• It's Their Life

I think 16 year-olds can decide if they want to drop out of school because its their life. If they want to drop out of school, that's their choice. And since they're going to be 18 in 2 years, I think they're old enough to make decisions for themselves.

16!!

• It's their future life, not ours.

Some people aren't fit for high school, and that's fine. Still chasing for education such as the GED proves you care even though you dropped out. Some people drop out due to depression or family problems. Sometimes it is a good choice. I know parents just want the best for their kids, but their children are not property. They are human beings who are not hurting anyone or affecting anyone else's lives just because they don't want to finish high school.

As I said before, you can be educated with high school, GED, Internet, whatever. Society needs to stop automatically thinking high school and college are always better or the only way without getting proof of what they really know. And a piece of paper doesn't show that. What's the point of having it if you've forgot most of what you were tested on to get it?

Some college graduates are idiots and some high school dropouts are geniuses. Look at the inventor of Tumblr and Walt Disney.

• NO. Just isn't right

• Mental Maturity Not Present

The 16 year olds brain, though at its height of learning capability is underdeveloped in the prefrontal cortex; a section of the brain that weighs outcomes, forms judgments and controls impulses and emotions. Children between the ages of 15 to 19 have higher death rates than those between 10 and 14 and 20 and above. This is attributed to risky behaviors and alcohol use. The prefrontal does not resemble that of an adult until the early 20’s. Between hormonal changes and lack to brain development, teens between 14 and 16 are emotionally charged without balance of judgment and forethought of outcomes. This is why teens do what they do; defy authority, show lack of impulse control and have a need to have novel experiences without regard to safety. Though this may differ from culture to culture to some degree; the tendency to take risk without logical forethought of consequences based on heightened emotions is enough to conclude that 16 year olds do not have the mental maturity to drop out of school. They are not yet capable of making that decision for themselves. It should be compulsory for all students to complete their high school education. Sitting for 6 to 7 hours at a stretch is not suitable for all students. Some require a different setting to learn affectively. I believe the standard classroom structure is the cause why some wish to drop out. An alternative setting should be sought out.

• 16 Year Olds are Still Minors

I believe that 16 is in an age range of developmental turmoil and people are not suited to make rash decisions on their education. Dropping out of school severely limits most of their opportunities and slows down college progress if they choose to pursue school again at any point. A GED is no substitute for a proper education.

• Why 16, why not any

I think it shouldn't because its the students choice weather he wants to succeed or not. If its younger, the parents should agree and sign papers showing they know what they're doing. If kids, and teens don't want to be in school they'll get bored and cause more trouble than they would outside. So the school would be safer than with kids that don't want to be in school.