• I believe that the suspects of the horrendous crimes committed on 9/11 should be subject to trials in New York City, because that is where the heinous crimes were committed.

I believe that they should have to be tried in a New York Court, because that is where the crimes were committed. If you stab someone in Louisville, Kentucky, you are tried in Louisville, Kentucky. The people need to see the faces of these criminals and, in a way, get some retribution for what they have done.

Posted by: MomentousRhett89
  • Yes, 9/11 suspects should be tried in NY courts!

I believe that the suspects from 9/11 should be tried in NY courts. After all, that is where the crime happened, isn't it? The crime should be tried and punished in the place it occurred. I guess my only personal problem with it is that NY does not have the death penalty to my understanding, and that is something I would be all for in the case of those who planned and carried out the 9/11 attacks.

Posted by: w00tboycomic
  • 9/11 suspects should be tried in NY courts because we should do to others what we want done to us, or we are no better.

If we take measures to not allow them to receive the same rights we consider to be right in our society, then we are stooping to the level of those that wish to terrorize us. Additionally, if we assert that our rights do not apply to others, for any reason, we are asserting that in some way we are inherently better than they are. If we wish to prove that Democracy will prevail we must remain true to the values we assert under that label.

Posted by: daveyxh
  • Yes, I feel like this is a good idea for the city and it would be just.

I believe that trying the 911 terrorist suspects in the city in which they (allegedly) caused so much destruction would be good for the city, and appropriate as well. It would let New York City's citizens feel a sense of justice by having them tried there. It might help to bring closure to the ordeal, seeing them brought to justice and punished for what they did (allegedly).

Posted by: PinkMych
  • I believe that 9/11 suspects should be tried in NY courts to ensure their right to a fair trial.

The 9/11 suspects deserve the same rights to a fair trial that all other human beings deserve. By trying these suspects in the NY court system ensures that this right will be afforded to them. It is also only fair that suspects be tried in the place of their alleged crime.

Posted by: SlayClim
  • Yes, despite the magnitude of the attack it was still a crime.

It is incorrect to view the 9/11 attack as an act of war. As abhorrent and horrific as it was, the act was still a criminal act because it was not done by a nation state but and organized body of individuals. By trying them in a court, especially at the scene of the crime it would show the world that justice prevails, that democracy and the rule of law are of paramount to our nation.

Posted by: R43Shep
  • I believe that 9/11 suspects should be tried in NY.

Because the crimes, terrible and haunting, were acted out in NY, I think that it is only right that the suspects be tried in the same place. I do not think that there is anything wrong with trying a suspect in the same place that they are accused of committing a crime.

Posted by: 5h4rdEgbe
  • The 9/11 suspects should be tried because they did something very bad and hurtful to a country that they have no respect for obviously.

The 9/11 suspects are crude and immature for what they have done to families that have lost lives during those attacks. They deserve to be tried and they deserve karma to be brutal to them in a way they allowed many people to die horrendously. They should be sought out and really endure a fair trial that proves they did what they did.

Posted by: waffletime
  • Suspects from 9/11 should not receive any special privileges and should be tried where the crime was committed.

The suspects from 9/11 will have a jury that has prior knowledge no matter where they would be tried. New York is where they should be tried. Why should tax payer money be spent transporting them somewhere else, when the outcome would be the same? This was a very emotional crime and it affected all Americans.

Posted by: babydoll93
  • I think the 9/11 suspects should be tried in NY courts. These crimes occurred in New York and the suspects should be tried there.

Although some people think the suspects should be tried as "enemy combatants" in military tribunals, they are just terrorists, not foreign military. Our judicial system is best place to try these people. Using the military tribunals is tantamount to letting the terrorists win. These people should be afforded all of the safeguards any defendant is given under our system of justice. These safeguards make our country great, and to allow politics into the judicial arena is against our guiding principals.

Posted by: 5kyErto
  • 9/11 suspects should not be tried in New York unless that is where the trial would happen naturally.

9/11 suspects should not be tried in New York unless that is where the trial would happen naturally. Selecting a district to try it wouldn't be fair. Preying on the fear and anger of residents of New York would undermine the fair trial philosophy we try to live by. It should be tried in a federal court and if that's where the court would be without cherry picking, then it's okay. Otherwise, it isn't.

• No, because it was a Federal crime.

They should be tried in a Federal Court, as they committed a Federal crime. State courts should not have to pay for the extra cost of a trial and security for these people. They should have a open trail in the Federal Court system. They also should be held in an undisclosed prison.

Posted by: Ci3nInvader
  • The 9/11 suspects should not be tried in NY Courts, because they are war criminals that should be tried in military tribunals.

The 9/11 suspects should not be tried in NY Courts, because they are war criminals that should be tried in military tribunals. Furthermore, a trial in New York courts would allow U.S. intelligence gathering techniques and sources to be revealed, to the advantage of other terrorists. A military tribunal, with swift execution of any sentence, is the only reasonable answer.

Posted by: JamieM
  • I believe all suspects deserve a fair trial, and there is no way they could get a fair trial in NY courts.

Judicial law has long allowed for the opportunity for a change of venue when it has been determined that it is impossible to find an unbiased jury in the area the trial would normally occur. Despite the heinousness of the crime 9/11 suspects are accused of, they, nonetheless, deserve a fair trial.

Posted by: TrainLock
  • I disagree, because by the laws of jurisdiction dictate that wherever the crime was committed, that is where the crime needs to be tried.

I disagree, because by the laws of jurisdiction dictate that wherever the crime was committed, that is where the crime needs to be tried. Since all suspects that actually made an attack died in the attack, they cannot be tried. The ones who were involved in plotting the attack, though, would need to be tried where the meeting happened.

Posted by: RobustMarkus66
  • I disagree that 9/11 suspects should be tried in NY because they would not receive a fair trial.

The 9/11 suspects would not receive a fair trial in the United States, period. But they certainly wouldn't get one in New York. Since our basis for justice is that people are innocent until proved guilty, and entitled to a fair trial, we should be willing to uphold these even for the worst possible offenders. Otherwise our standards are double and untrustworthy. Suspects of 9/11 should be tried by a "world court" made up of a national jury.

Posted by: N3vinFace
  • I feel they will not have a just trial regardless of the location but it will be harder to get a fair trial in the place where it all happened.

The events of 9/11 affected people all over the world. The media was saturated with the events so regardless of where the trial is there will be no way to find an entire jury that does not already have predetermined ideas about the events. Since the events happened in New York it effected the residents of that state on a very close and personal level. I do not feel any New Yorker will be able to put their feelings aside and judge the trial fairly.

Posted by: 54nShaI

9/11 suspects should not be tried in New York unless that is where the trial would happen naturally. Selecting a district to try it wouldn't be fair. Preying on the fear and anger of residents of New York would undermine the fair trial philosophy we try to live by. It should be tried in a federal court and if that's where the court would be without cherry picking, then it's ok. Otherwise, it isn't.

Posted by: H0bi3Invader
  • The mastermind that was responsible for the attack would use a civilian trial to showcase his political views.

The terrorist that planned the 9/11 attack does not deserve a civilian trial in New York city. He will make the trial a bigger show than the OJ Simpson trial years ago. He will use the opportunity to blast the United States and try to get classified information made public. He should be tried in a military tribunal.

Posted by: ddeathnote
  • I believe the 9/11 suspects should not be tried in NY courts but should face a military tribunal as have all previous enemy combatants.

I consider the 9/11 terrorists foreign enemy combatants, and as such they should not be tried in the United States civilian court system. This action is extremely detrimental to the safety of New York City citizens, will enable the terrorists to use our court system for their own nefarious purposes (possibly via sympathetic lawyers), and compromise our entire intelligence operation around the world. Terrorism should not be labeled a criminal justice issue, but treated as it has always been in the past, as a warfare issue.

Posted by: CarolBizarre