Should a child's computer be kept in the family room?

• Yes it should

It makes children more confident as they socialize and keep in touch with long lost friend.As you will never see them again you may want to Skype them or keep in touch.Computers are ideal for fun, homework and research.I think that parents should let children enjoy themselves while they are still young.

• Yes it should

• Yes it should

• A child's computer should be kept in the family room.

A child's computer should be kept in the family room. Especially for young children, the internet is a full place, full of exciting things that encourage learning, but also full of things that a child or anyone else should never look at. If it's in the family room, the computer can be used for learning and nothing else.

• Most of time yes

15 years old get a job trying to earn money to buy computer on my own to become a computer programmer. So get job check out programming books from public library. I earn the computer to by in room. But if did something wrong i know it can by taken out of my room.

• Supervision and moderation for best practice

The computer should be kept in a family room and its use by children monitored and supervised. I don't allow computers or games consoles to be in bedrooms and this allows me to supervise the children when using any of these devices, monitor what they are doing/ playing and how long for, make sure when I say bed time it's bed and sleep time not room and play computer games/ social network time. This was the main reason behind the decision to not allow computers or consoles in rooms but it has also helped to teach the children to share and to play together or take turns. I also do not allow social networking sites to be used but other children from primary school have these but I feel developing interpersonal skills and relationships/ friendships should take place in person at such a young age. Perhaps once we enter the teenage years I may allow a laptop to be taken into a room for study or homework but keep the printer on the main PC as it is now and have things put on a stick to print off etc. Maybe even permit social networking but it would be registered to my email account and I would have visibility over this. This is not an infringement of privacy as there is no expectation of privacy on a social networking site and it would maybe be a worthwhile lesson in online posting, If they believe mum would see it they might just think twice about putting it there in the first place. At present I monitor the time spent on it and tend to "save it for a rainy day" preferring them to play outside with the other local children rather than sit in front of a screen. Not having a computer or games consoles in their rooms has not lead to them growing an extra head or anything, they are well rounded, social, active children. It has not been detrimental in any way, shape or form.

• A child's computer is best kept in the family room.

If child's computer is in children's room, if parents go away to sleep or watching TV children get up and play games. And it makes children tired so they sleep in school or computer games make children exited about playing computer games and it makes problem in their brain, so it makes them sick. It's called ADHD.

• Yes, a child's computer should stay in the family room.

These days, there are so many things that a child could be exposed to online. There are also, unfortunately, countless opportunities for a child to be bullied or to bully someone else online as well. When a child's computer is in the family room, it's easy for the kid's parents to monitor computer activity and to stop the child from playing violent games or looking at questionable images.

• Yes It Should

There are far too many things a child can get into on the internet. It's like having the whole world at your fingertips. Despite safeguards and blocks, it's really best for children if their computer is kept in a place that is supervised. Additionally, this allows parents to monitor more closely how much time their child is spending on the computer.

• A child should always be monitored while on the computer.

A computer used by a child should always be monitored. If it is located in the family room a child wont feel like they have absolute control over what they do online. Children can not be trusted to determine their own fate. They can get into many issues if they don't have someone checking up on them.

• It depends on age

I believe older kids should be able to have computers in their room because if younger kids have computers in their room, they might go on bad pages but if your kid is over 8 and wants a computer in their room, you should let them because they are responsible children who deserve to have a computer.

• It's their computer

Would you like to be scrutinized every time you go on the computer? What if you want to talk about something with a friend online that you don't feel comfortable sharing with your parents? Why should parents be the judge of what they're children are and aren't allowed to do? Its the kid's computer, let them do what they want with it.

• It limits their freedom.

Taking computers away from children's rooms can mean that it will limit their freedom systematically. At their age, they want to live their lives without feeling like they're in a cage. If computers are taken away, they won't be able to socialize and interact with people they know who are two oceans away, and interacting is a big part/skill during childhood. Also, internet isn't always bad. There are corners of internet that provide good information which might be of help in your child's assignment. So basically, it means that you're just taking away the opportunity for children to use a source - that provides information - whenever they want.

• Depends on the age.

Most parents want to protect their children. They want them to be as pure for as long as possible, securing their youthfulness and keeping them sheltered from the darkness of the real world. Which is understandable. However, with an open communication as to how to handle the internet, at a certain age a child will feel more trusted and will hopefully act upon this new found trust and maturity when the parents trust them with their own computer.