Should a conviction for first degree murder carry a mandatory death penalty?

• I strongly agree

1st degree murder means it was not self defence and was probably premeditated. If it isn't mandatory then lots of guilty people would avoid justice if just one member of the jury was against. I also think that it should be mandatory for rape and terrorism. It would greatly reduce crime.

• I agree strongly

You see, murder is taking a life and an eye for an eye. It doesnt matter how but justice must be brought to society, even if it makes people uncomfortable. So that is my stance. I think you will find this very truthful. I wait for the day it is so that some justice can be served.

• No mandatory sentencing

Regardless of the crime, there should never be any mandatory sentencing. There is a reason there are judges and a court system - they judge people, and are well versed in the law. Mandatory sentencing only serves to create massive damage to the country, and puts innocent people in prison for too long. Or to death.

• It should not.

A conviction for first degree murder should not carry a mandatory death penalty. This is a easy way out for the person convicted, and they should have to rot in prison for the rest of their lives. Not only that, but it is very expensive to put someone to death.

• I do not believe it should be the death penalty.

I am vehemently against the murdering of another man no matter his wrong doings. The old adage of two wrongs do not make a right is very telling in this situation. It is no more moral for one man to murder another in cold blood, than it was for the first to kill in the first place.

• A conviction for first degree murder should not necesarily carry a mandatory death sentence.

A conviction for first degree murder should not necessarily carry the death penalty.There are so many different circumstances in which even 1st degree murder occurs that each case should have an individualized punishment .There may be age considerations or other mitigating circumstances which make capital punishment totally inappropriate in the particular case.

• Conviction for first degree murder should not carry a mandatory death penalty.

Conviction for first degree murder should not carry a mandatory death penalty. I think this should be left up to the court to decide what the appropriate sentence should be in every case. It should depend on the circumstances that caused the tragedy to happen. The convicted should be punished to what degree is up to the court.

• I don’t think that a conviction for first degree murder should carry a mandatory death penalty.

I don’t think that a conviction for first degree murder should
    carry a mandatory death penalty. I’ll
    tell you right now, if someone murders my mother, and a court of law fails to
    punish them accordingly, I’m going to be guilty of a first degree murder. And, under those circumstances, I think I should
    get an acquittal.