Should a current events class be mandatory in high school?

Asked by: wisemen99
  • I'm trying to write a paper and get various opinions on this topic.

Students, especially in high school, are naturally very opinionated individuals who are ready to engage in a conversation at anytime. If you were to look at a topic like gay marriage or marijuana legalization you will most definitely get great feedback on these issues because these are relevant topics that kids are passionate about. So what I would like to see is that same passion brought into topics like income inequality, drone strikes, Syrian Civil War, Egypt's fight for democracy, I'll start to ramble so ill end hear, but seriously give me your feedback, papers do in like 6 hours.

• Yes, but how?

Such a class will not only expand the critical thinking skills in the individual's mind but also inform the future voting public and other activist of all sorts to know how and where to direct their intentions. However, even though this will be a semester class (half the year, unlike Math and English), the question arising is how will students be graded on such a topic and the major--but unlikely--question is what will happen if there are no intriguing current events? Keep in mind that, because of "feelings", some students may not want to discus things involving religion, sexuality, and other taboo areas, which, with a parent's note or a lawsuit, they can easily exempt. A class involving current events is a fantastic idea, but other laws and regulations must be changed or abolished in order for it to truly happen in its entirety.

• Preventing Young Ignorance

Unfortunately young American ignorance is present within this age group. I guarantee the prom queen has no clue what ISIS is, she's just worried about what heels she'll wear for the next dance. These young adults from ages 16-18 are our future and need to be taught what is going on outside of their high school. Especially on the other side of the world where innocent children are being beheaded and fathers crucified. With them not knowing it makes the whole country look bad. This can start a generation where all Americans are globally aware.

• It'd help if done properly

Every time a major international figure dies you can find thousands upon thousands of tweets from teenagers saying they have no idea who the person is, it's pretty embarrassing. It would help to at least show students the means of which to get up to date on current events so they don't look like morons.

• YES! Such Knowledge Is Key To A Variety Of Subjects ...

Text messaging just ISN'T an education. Talking on a cellphone also LACKS any academic prowess. Most students are interested in college, but colleges just aren't interested in their cellphone. Current Events is to news what the microwave is to cooking! Quick. Easy. Informative. It keeps students aware of what's actually going on in the world. The topics vary, so it can influence numerous academic subjects. Since few students actually stay abreast of the issues, they need something that puts those issues in front of them. Current Events manages to do this. It's also a great way to open group-discussions on the topics!

• Current events is what shapes the future.

Without learning about current events, it is very hard to know the society we live in. What is even more important than just learning about current events is discussing them. Students should learn to develop their own opinion about important matters, while also exploring new points of views. Some people in today's society seem to be very closed-minded and will only regard their own point of view. If students learn early on to regard more than one view on a subject, progress might be more easily made on the subjects and a compromise might be more easily made.

• Just a waste of time and money

Current events shouldn't be taught because for one, some may stress out about our nation and everything else since it would effect us, and second, because it would seem rather boring to talk about stuff that is on the news every damn day of out lives.
    That's what the news is for!

• Too Many Requirements Suffocate Students

As a recent high school graduate from the american public school system, I am relieved to have finally completed all of the "mandatory" classes I needed to take. Note: .5 credits = passing one semester of one class. I was required to take 3.5 credits of english, 2 of science, 2 (but the requirement is now 3) of math, 2 of social studies, 1.5 of PE, .5 of health, 1.0 of fine arts, and 1.0 of 'occupational'.
    I took more than the required amount of some of these classes, and was able (after much difficulty) to take the health class at the community college outside of school hours, and to get .5 credits of PE waived for playing sports. However, I was unable to take all of the classes I wanted to take to be prepared for college and the world because of these mandatory classes. Due to the fact that I had to take a mandatory PE class, and mandatory fine arts classes, I was unable to take a second calculus class, and had to take a lower level math class instead. This means that, as a math major at a University, I now have to struggle to catch up to where I used to be in my study of calculus. If I had not had mandatory classes, I could have designed my schedule to fit in a second year of calculus.
    Mandatory classes, especially if mandated by the state or federal government, are a pain for students.
    Do not misunderstand me. I loved debating current events in one of my social studies classes, and our school had a social studies elective dedicated to current events. However, I chose not to take that class, so that I could take more AP classes, and still fit in the mandatory classes required for graduation. I disagree that current events class should be mandatory in high school, because high school students already have enough hoops to jump through. I do agree that high school teachers, especially humanities teachers, should incorporate current events into their curriculum as they teach. My world geography class, and my world history class both had current event assignments at least every other month, and we would discuss current events as they applied to what we were learning no less than once per week. My biology teacher had us read about current events, especially as they pertained to the ethical choices a scientist needs to make. My english teachers would have us write research papers on a current debate interesting to us, whether that was about drones, abortion, gay marriage, police brutality, or anything else that was current and had more than one opinion. Current events should be part of a students education. However, adding a required class is NOT the way to make this happen.
    A college freshman.