Should a president be able to serve more than two terms?

Asked by: Spmiller
  • Who cares about 22nd amendment

What if theres another war during the election, the war is far more important than the election. The president should be elected more than 2 terms than the other presedents only because that one president has had way more experience than a brand new one who is just new to office and has no experience in being a president. Espessaily WAR.

• It's a hard question.

I think that the people of the country could vote for the current president to serve a third or forth term. If the majority of the voters vote yes, then the president can choose to accept or decline the call. But I do not think the president should be able to decide if he/she without the citizens' input. But that is a tough question.

• The 22nd Amendment

The 22nd Amendment to the Constitution passed in 1951 states that no person can exceed two terms as President. If the Presidency is obtained through a vacancy by the Vice President, he/she can seek a second term only if in office for two years or less. Prior to this amendment only FDR ran and was elected for a third term. For the most part before the 22nd Amendment, it was a matter of unwritten professional decorum for a sitting president not to seek a third term. This was initially established by George Washington. He felt there would be an appearance of seeking excessive power as a government official and to do so would give an appearance of unseemly ambition.

• One term presidency please

I'm in favour of a purely executive branch (ie administrative as in council manager) rather than the expanded executive and quasi-legislative powers (drone strikes and going to war as long as its not called a war). That being said, as things are now, a one term (4-year) presidency is best as they are not worried about re-election. A two term (8-year) presidency would be fine, but in both cases, the legislators should only be able to do either two terms or 8 years (cumulative or before break in between). Should be the same for the executive branch as for the legislative branch. As the great prophet Robin Williams (peace be upon him) once said "politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reasons."

• I'm against career politicians in general, so...

Although I'm generally for freedom on non-social issues, I don't think that career politicians who stick their fingers in the air and go where the special interests and lobbyists' money is, is a good idea. Not every career politician gets corrupted, or Ted Cruz wouldn't have all the typical-politician enemies he has in his own party. However, I think that for the majority of the time, politicians should be involved in politics part time, doing something else for their careers.

• Two terms is the tradition.

I know Roosevelt served four terms (16 years!) but that was only because of the threatening World War II. Other countries do not have a term system like this, so some rulers have been serving for years without any opinion from the people! Two terms is the tradition, and it's fair.

Also, the US should annex Canada.

• One term only guys

• One term presidency only

Kilk1 says2015-10-14T03:01:20.327
Wait, did it just make me vote twice, FOR BOTH "YES" OR "NO"?