Should a teacher be fired if she cannot teach her students?

• Teachers should TEACH

I have a science teacher who spends half of her class shushing the class and not doing any work or learning, and when she says something we don't know, she says it once for half a second and never talks about it again. My whole class is failing or close to it because of her lacking teaching skills. Teachers like this should get into huge trouble because some kids will get killed ( figuratively) by their parents because of their grades, its just plain unfair

• Yes, that's in the job title

I have a math teacher who tells us to take notes independently at home, and sometimes we do the notes in class, and it just racks up so much time on our backs we cannot even DO the notes. Sometimes we even ask her to help us on a concept and she just gives us the excuse to ask others around us, yet they have no knowledge of it either.

My teacher always bases learning on technology, which isn't really good, but it's also an issue how she changed our grading scale, so when we had a big test that affected our grades, kids that had gotten low scores fell down badly, with that being she only assigns homework for a majority.

It's really hard to explain but if you were stuck with her you'd always wonder when she should be fired.

• Teachers should teach

I have a science teacher who barely teaches. Most of my classmates just play games on their laptops the whole time. When he does teach, it's always something that every single person in the classroom already knew from many years ago. While I realize that the teacher would be out of a job if they were fired, the lack of teaching causes our entire class to suffer.

• They are not preparing the student

If a teacher does not teach you then you will be unprepared. If you are unprepared then you are punished. I have seen in tons of teachers that the teacher does not teach then i (or others) are doing horribly the next year. IF THEY ARE NOT preparing the students then they should not be allowed to teach .

• Teach is n the word teacher

Man this is bull hit if you can't teach a class you need to go back to college or something because there are kids that want to learn and you need to teach them what y need to know but if you cant "teach" you need to go find a diffrent job i DO NOT want my child to suffer in school because you do not know howbto do your job.

• English teacher can't teach to save her own life

I'm at SMHS in Las Vegas and my English teacher can't teach, all of her past students hated her class and even the ones taking her class right now which is me. Everyone in this class is failing because we don't know what to do. She blames us because we don't want to do the work. We do want to do it but we can't because she isn't clear enough with instructions. I have told my counselor twice but she didn't change. What should we do?

• Music teacher cannot teach

Our music teacher came into our class and we had asked her to do a whole bunch of things that we wanted. She completely threw them in the garbage because she did not like them. This pass week we had to do theory. Most of our theory is review from previous years but there was one thing that we did not learn. She told us to look at the package for yourself and self teach yourself and its homework for the weekend. If your not going to teach it to me then what is the point of me trying to teach myself something i have never seen in my life.

• History teacher cannot teach

My history teacher blames us for low grades even though she hasnt taught as the subject and expects us to get really high grades by doing our own research ive complained to multiple teachers and even the head but no response is gained by the head teacher or anybody else

• Teaching students to study comes with the job

Part of a teacher's job is to not only teach the material, but to enforce good studying habits. Enforce LEARNING. If a teacher is unable to do that, they are failing an important part of their job and consequently should be fired. There is a difference between "a few students too stubborn to study" and "many students who struggle with the lack of teaching".

• Teaching IS a teacher's job

If a taxi cab driver cannot drive, they should be fired. If a plumber cannot fix plumbing issues, they should be fired. I go to school to get an education. I am willing to do work, and even teach topics to myself, but there is a point that a teacher should not cross. Teachers are there as a guide, and, well, a teacher. If I cannot reach out to a teacher for help, what is the point of them teaching?

I have a science teacher who doesn't explain when dates are due, what our homework is, and often times throws random homework at us that we haven't learned in class. When we go over it the next day, she explains the topics as though we already have background information on everything and is just overall bad at explaining things. We are an INTRO class. We went over cells one time, and us, AS HIGH SCHOOLERS, were expected to remember everything we were taught in 6th grade. Some kids weren't even in the school district at that time, so they have NO knowledge of cells and yet the teacher ignores this. If you struggle with a topic, she says to message her dates you're available and stuff on her website, which is pretty much the only thing you'd message her for. She pulled up her website to show us something and she was still logged in, I clearly saw she had 89 unread messages. So much for getting help. Approximately 15-25 kids out of her 3 classes fail her class EACH YEAR.

I also have a math teacher. Many students in the class are the kind to not do homework or pay attention and class and just overall waste time. They have no interest in learning and in my opinion, no interest in going to college. But the teacher, instead of just saying "they don't want to learn, ok their loss" makes students do work and enforces harsh punishments. While some consider this mean, it's benefitting the students. They are doing their work and passing the class, and creating good studying and homework habits. Only 0-8 kids out of her 2 classes fail her class each year.

• I believe the students should get punished for their behavior.

I had a teacher that has many health problems and sickly mother to take care of, as well as many problems in his past like his dead father and girlfriend. Then one day in class No one paid attention to his lesson and everyone was just sitting there on their phones till he just snapped and got emotional and said if no one is going to pay attention then their is no point in teaching and just went back to his desk and did nothing for the rest of the period.Then the following day he apologized for his actions and explained that this will be his last year working for our school because parents called in and reported about him to the office causing him to get fired for something the students pushed and pushed out of him. He began to break down and cry in front of the whole class apologizing about his actions when it was clearly the students fault

• It is not the teacher's fault if the students fall behind,

Because it may have been a way they were taught, and it is the student's jobs to advocate for their own learning if they actually want to go higher and progress in school. Also, a school cannot ban a teacher under unnecessary conditions, even if the don't like her or if she doesn't teach well.

• The children should be the ones that get the punishment for their behaviour.

If a teacher cannot control her students, the STUDENTS should be the one who get in trouble. I personally am a high school student, and even I believe that! What, if for example, you were a teacher and you could not control your students? How would you feel if you were fired? Would you happily pack up your bags and walk away? Think about it. It would be the students faults, and therefore they should get the punishment. And if you can't believe a year 7 student who goes to high school HERSELF, then you should learn to think about going into the teachers shoes yourself. As for those of you who think that that is their job, clearly you don't under stand what a teacher does. They are meant to teach, not to be infuriated or depressed by students. Teaching means making them learn skills, not making them calm down. When a student is bad or obnoxious, the parents should be dealing with their behaviour at home rather than the teachers telling them at school. I leave you with one final statement- 'WHY DONT YOU TRY STEPPING IN THEIR SHOES?'.

• This is a what if question and answer.

I don't think a teacher should be fired if she can't teach her students. However, if there is a plausable reason behind her not being able to teach, then the matters change. If it is her fault, she can't get the subject across, or she has bad teaching habit, then she should go back to school. If it is because she has an unruly class, then she should be transfered.

• Her contract should determine such a thing.

A teacher should not be fired if she cannot teach her students, if, for example, she has a contract and has an accident that prevents her from teaching. If teachers are allowed to be fired willy nilly, that is not a good thing. Eventually, someone who can't teach will need to be terminated, but I don't believe it's a black and white thing.

• Students need to focus on LEARNING.

Teachers giving study guides and simple comprehension tests are loved by students. Teachers requiring students to search the content and develop their own questions. Teachers who teach students how to learn by using their own brains are hated by students. "Thinking" deal takes too much effort. This teacher can't teach!

• Teachers Can't Teach Is a Contradiction in Terms

This is a contradiction in terms. All teachers in public education today go through rigorous training beyond the scope of a bachelors degree and often additional coursework, testing and observation is required for licensure in any teaching field. I think this is why many arguments here are referring to behavioral issues in the classroom because people are aware that learning is extremely complex, involving many factors outside the reach of teachers in the classroom. In conclusion, people should stop biting the hand that feeds them and start working together to lift that source up and give it as much support as it so deserves!

Reference: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michaelprice/6-reasons-why-we-must-sto_b_5520170.html

• Now is that a single student, or occasional students or repeated classes of students each year?

If a teacher is incompetent in her job repeatedly and after further instruction well she should be fired just as an electrician who electrocutes himself (repeatedly) or a taxi driver who can't drive. However if your speaking of the students in the class who refuse to listen, don't do homework, don't care, and when they get home their efforts are not rewarded or have consequences then they can't be fired. The teachers can only TEACH even with the best tools when students are willing to LEARN. NO amount of money thrown at a school, nor rules regulating teachers will motivate a student to do the work. They are not miracle workers.