Should aboriginals be treated differently under the law: Should the cultures of aboriginals be given special protection?

• The World is Lucky to Have Ancient Cultures Left. Lets Preserve Them.

Manoofwar51, sorry to hear that you were put down because you weren't native, that's not fair at all. I am a native person of my own country and I am pretty sure in the whole world, across the board, all indigenous people have been treated as second class citizens by non-natives and non-native governments. That's why they have laws that treat natives differently, these are laws are to protect them. As in the colonial times the non-natives who came to the natives land destroyed a lot of the culture and today we have an opportunity to strengthen that culture.

What does this mean for non natives? It preserves an ancient culture that is worth learning about and also if you are proud of the land you live on, the best way to be proud is to assimilate or get to know intimately the local tribes or Aboriginal nations. Most Indigenous peoples values align with protecting the land and the more people involved the better.

In my opinion yes, there should be laws that treat aboriginal differently but only in a positive uplifting way. No one should feel superior then anyone else and should strive to help each other and live on the land sustainably.

• The World is Lucky to Still Have Ancient Cultures. Lets Preserve Them.

Manoofwar51, sorry to hear that you were put down because you weren't native, that's not fair at all. I am a native person of my own country and I am pretty sure in the whole world, across the board, all indigenous people have been treated as second class citizens by non-natives and non-native governments. That's why they have laws that treat natives differently, these are laws are to protect them. As in the 1800s the non-natives who came to the natives land destroyed a lot of the culture and today we have an opportunity to strengthen that culture.

• Ancient Cultures Help Tell the Earths Story. Need Preserving.

• Aboriginals Deserve Protection for Culture

The Aboriginal culture is a storied and cherished one that should be preserved at all costs. Therefore, the aboriginals deserve some special protection under the law to maintain their culture and ways. Doing so will preserve said culture so that it's not forgotten or lost over the next hundred years, which is a huge possibility.

• Yes, it allows them to preserve their heritage.

Yes, aboriginals should be given special protection under the law, because doing so allows the aboriginals to maintain their way of life and culture. Some, but not all, aboriginals still live in very old, traditional fashion. Laws should be in place that allow them to continue to do so, as long as they don't interfere with the rights of others.

• Equality is Key. In fact natives having additional rights to that of other Canadians.

I grew up beside a reserve. The schools there were covered in native architecture and art. The school it self had aboriginal heritage day every Wednesday. Where native culture, literature, and history was shoved down our throats. This is a big change of rolls isn't it. Resembling the residential schools native children went to in years before. At the school I went to, aboriginal kids felt higher than those who weren't aboriginal. This is because there culture was everywhere and the government bent down to kiss their feet. Who wouldn't feel superior? I was put down and constantly told I was lower than them. I felt like a second class citizen in my own country. No one should ever feel that way in their own country. Bring back the White paper make natives equal!