Should abortion on the grounds of physical deformity be allowed?

• Natural selection

Humanity is digging its grave with letting the weak survive.
    Especially when the weak would choose to die if they had a chance to choose before they were even born.
    Deformed people are not only pure expenses for society, but also will often lead a terrible life. Deformity is like a prison you can never escape and you are raped daily.

• Freedom of Choice is Not the Same as Discrimination

Aborting a deformed fetus is not the same thing as claiming that deformed people are less human, or less deserving of life. I have known several people who experience mental and physical disabilities, and I cherished those friendships. But such disabilities can be an enormous challenge, even a burden, to parent and child. An unprepared or unwilling family can become dysfunctional and harmful to the child. There is nothing wrong with a woman deciding that she is not willing or able to take on such a challenge.

• In case of physical deformity, I support early abortion to avoid a lifetime suffering.

Depending on the seriousness of the deformity, which might have significant impact on the life of the newborn, I agree that early abortion is suggestible to avoid life-long suffering. Particularly in cases where-in the person has to go through a painful life ahead then I think it can be avoided.

Posted by: SaroM0vi3
  • I think abortion should be allowed for a physical deformity if it reduces the quality of life for the child.

I think abortion should be allowed for a physical deformity if it reduces the quality of life for the child. Sometimes physical deformities make it difficult for the person to enjoy life. In this case, I think abortion should be allowed. If the physical deformity is a missing pinky finger, which doesn't affect quality of life greatly, I think then abortion should not be allowed unless it normally is for other circumstances.

Posted by: ObaICheese
  • If a fetus is severely physically deformed it should be aborted due to quality of life.

If a fetus is deformed in a way that is going to affect the way that the baby lives than this would be the reason that it should be aborted. An abortion would be a better choice because you would never want a child to suffer with something their entire life.

Posted by: B3rkIffy
  • I think that abortion should be allowed at the decision of the mother carrying the child.

I think that abortion should be allowed at the decision of the mother carrying the child, with birth defects and rape being only 2 reasons that might make a woman decide that abortion is right for her. The right to give birth should be in the hands of the person carrying the child, just the same as the right to not raise the child is in her hands. Women should be allowed to control their bodies and terminate a pregnancy when it is safe for her to do so.

Posted by: SilverMathi
  • Abortion based on physical deformity should be allowed as it's the mother's choice.

Abortion based on physical deformity should be allowed as it's the mother's choice. There can be restrictions and guidelines so it is not abused by people unhappy with gender or other non-critical things, but if a woman does not want to carry to term a fetus that is not going to survive or be in pain and suffer, she should be able to choose for herself.

Posted by: H0bi3Invader
  • Abortion should be allowed in any circumstance including a circumstance where the baby may be deformed.

There should never be a problem with how someone wants to manage their family as long as it is within the bounds of the law. Abortion is a constitutionally legal medical procedure and it should be not be shunned in any instance regardless of someone's political or religious affiliation. We should never run around and begin telling other people how they should manage their family just because your religion or political affiliation tells you to do so.

Posted by: R3ubHockey
  • A parent should have the right to decide if their child's deformity precludes the child from an enjoyable life.

A parent who is informed that their fetus is physically deformed should have the right to choose whether or not the extent of the child's deformity will negatively impact the child's life to the degree that the child's life experience may be nothing but pain. In such an event the most caring thing the parent could do may be to prevent the child from that pain by aborting it before birth.

Posted by: Wynn354
  • I do agree that you should be allowed to have an abortion based on physical deformity if you feel it's in the child's best interest.

There are certain physical conditions that can lead to a life time of pain, stress, and sadness. I feel like this a great decision that a family would have to weigh out all the pros and cons. I remember the conjoined twins who spent their whole life wanting to be separated and died trying to make their dream come down. Knowing that your child may never be accepted fully in society can be a tough thing to live with.

Posted by: C0ImEIite
  • If abortion is allowed on the grounds of physical deformity

Then on similar grounds a person with a physical deformity due to accidents should not be allowed to survive.Well assume that the child gets injured during an accident which leads to a physical deformity. Does that mean we should kill the child? Isn't a great burden still being placed on the parents as well as the child?If this seems wrong and inhuman then abortion is the same as well.

• Let them live

Abortion is wrong no matter what the circumstances is, that baby is a living being and has a right to live. Just because the baby has a deformity doesn't mean that we have a right to kill it. Where dose it stop? The aborting the babies and euthanizing the old people or the disable people. Just let them live, for one day you would want the same mercy on you.

• Everyone has potential

This says it all. This is 'cause we're all human beings, and we all can amount to something good. Some of the world's most famous people have been born with a physical deformity, and it's just not right to deny someone of the chance to contribute to humanity's efforts.
    Take the case of Eleanor Simmonds, for example. She was born with achondroplasia, a form of dwarfism. She then took an interest in swimming, and became one of Britain's most prominent Paralympic athletes. From there she proceeded to win three gold medals at Beijing in 2008 and has won 22 gold medals in total worldwide.
    Imagine if the child had the potential to find the cure to cancer. Wouldn't it be wrong to stop them? What if the disabled person would eventually create a breakthrough in science? Who are we to play God?

• It is wrong

It is still your child and your should love it no matter what. Just because it has a disability doesn't mean that you should be able to kill it, That child could make your day every single day and bring joy to your life. I think that people are being selfish if they chose to abort a child because of a disability

• No no no

How would you have liked it if you mother killed you because you had a physical deformity. It's not right to kill a child just because of that. And it's not the child's fault they would be born like that. If it's your child love it for who it is and not how it will look.

• Wrong wrong wrong

Abortion should not even be an option. I had a friend who was going to give her daughter up for adoption, adoption not abortion. But once she had the baby and held her she couldn't even bare the thought of living without her so she kept her. I don't think its fair to the child having someone else determine if you live or not. Its not the mothers life. No it is an own individual life breathing yet or not.

• Human being/ Adoptions an option

The practice of Eugenics was frowned upon. If we validate that abortion on the grounds of physical deformity is okay, then why was there such an uproar when the practice of Eugenics was found out. The child is a human being and has a right to life. If the mother or father of the child does not want the child give it up for adoption. There are families out there who would love to have a child.

• No one should be killed because of deformities.

No one should be killed because of deformities. What if Helen Keller, Ray Charles, or conjoined twins were put to death? No Judge or any other person has the right to play God. We need to act more like human beings and not like wild beasts. We need to learn to be caring people and help each other instead of destroying each other.

• Only God has the right to determine life or death.

Since we cannot create life (procreation is NOT creating ) we should not take life. God is sovereign over His creation. If we start deciding who should live and who should die with respect to the unborn child, it will haunt us when we get older and others decide that we ourselves should no longer live as we are simply "useless mouths" and take up precious resources.

• Physical deformity is not a legitimate reason.

I was born with a talipes, or club foot. It causes me significant pain, and I frequently have to attend hospital appointments. Yet I have not had a lesser life than a perfectly healthy person of the same age. I am no less of a human. Many physical deformities can be fixed with surgery if you are concerned, but it should certainly not be a reason to kill the child.

Research this topic: Northern Ireland