• A Rebuttal for a few Opposing Arguments

To the person that said "Abortion harms the body to high extents, and your health may take long to replenish:" Yeah, but so does plastic surgery, and people have the right to choose that for themselves.

To the person that said "Abortion ruins 2 people's lives, and maybe even a third - the father:" we could be looking at an abusive relationship, in which giving the father a say could lead to physical and emotional abuse of the mother. Additionally, this is misogynistic and the woman should ALWAYS have the final say in what is done to HER body.

To the person that said "Although the mother does not want the baby, it does not mean the baby does not want itself:" I suggest you look into the philosophy of Princeton University professor Peter Singer. He explains that the fetus has NO capability to like or dislike something, and therefore no ability to have preferences. We are assuming a "will to live" that does not exist until very late in development. Therefore, no preferences are there to weigh against those of the mother's, and so if the mother wants an abortion, it is TOTALLY MORALLY PERMISSIBLE for her to do so.

To the person who said that they strongly disagree with abortion and would not choose it for themselves: that doesn’t give you the right to force your personal decision onto others.

To the person that said "That child could be the child that got rid of cancer and now that child is gone because people who have taken that child’s life by abortion:" okay. By your logic, every sperm could be the sperm that grows up to be the scientist that cures cancer. Therefore, any male who has ever ejaculated is a "murderer."

• Whether abortion is kept legal or not, woman will still give themselves abortions.

Many people believe abortion is a moral issue, but it's also a constitutional issue. It's a woman's right to choose what she does with her body, and it should not be altered or influenced by anyone else. This right is guaranteed by the right to privacy. The ninth amendment, which contains the right to privacy. The ninth amendment states " the right guarantees the right to woman, if they so choose, to have an abortion, up to the end of the first trimester".

• Abortions are going to happen, whether they are legal or not, so it is better that they are safe and legal.

Taking away the right to have an abortion is not going to solve any problems, it will create more problems. Having access to safe and legal abortions is something that women deserve. They will happen anyhow, and the safer they are, the less chance of harm that comes to the woman. It should remain a legal choice.

Posted by: PointlessElbert47
  • There should never be a law against abortion because, when there is, it puts women in danger.

When there are laws against abortion, that does not mean that abortions don't happen. It simply means that women have to go to illegal and dangerous places to get them.

Posted by: 5c0tJung
  • Yes, abortions should be permitted by law, to help protect the mothers and the children.

If a female has to abort the pregnancy due to health, or the fact that she was raped or any other circumstances, then she should be allowed to abort the baby. If she is forced to go through the pregnancy, she can cause harm to the unborn child who might be born with some form of health issue, and cause him to suffer the rest of his life.

Posted by: StripperMor
  • There is no reason for it not to be permitted.

You are not killing a person, a fetus cannot feel, it cannot think, it is essentially a parasite growing inside a uterus. A woman has the control over her own body, taking this away from her is the essence of dictatorship. Saying that abortion is taking a life and thus is bad is complete non-sense, under this axiom you should not shower as it will kill bacteria, we should also let mosquitoes carrying malaria fly free. How could a moral person possibly say that they would not abort a child which they knew would suffer from cystic fibrosis and have an absolutely horrible quality of life?

• Women should have the right to do what they want with their bodies

If the baby inside the woman, they should be allowed to chose what they do with it. They shouldn't have to give birth to a child that they don't want to have. It would be violating her rights to not let her have any control over her body.

----------------------------------------------

If you don't want to have a baby, you should make sure to use protection, but if you get pregnant despite of that, then getting an abortion should be allowed.

• I believe abortion should be an option.

While I understand that many people have a moral problem with abortion, one needs to think not only about that life, but also the other llives that it will affect. The mother/parents may not be in a financial or emotional position to take care of the child. Abortion is a social responsibility much like the euthinization of an animal, if society cannot care for it....In 1973, the US struck down a bill prohibiting abortion on account of it violating the woman's privacy...as unconstitutional, I'd like to see how the bill would get passed.

• Yes, until there are no unwanted pregnancies, abortion should be an option.

Unfortunately, no matter how many contraception alternatives are available, unwanted pregnancies occur, and probably always will occur. So until there are no more unwanted pregnancies, I believe that, regrettably, abortion must still be a legal option, with limitations that take into consideration the circumstances of the pregnancy and viability of the unborn child.

Posted by: Th4Fire
  • While I don't agree with using abortion for birth control I do believe it should be legal in cases of rape, incest and when the health of the mother is in danger.

I believe that it is necessary for abortion to be legal so that when a woman is the victim of rape or incest or if the mother's health is in danger Women in this instances should be able to get a legal abortion performed by a physician instead of risking her life in an illegal abortion. In the case of rape or incest I believe that the woman should not have to suffer through a pregnancy that began in violence if she is not emotionally prepared for that. When a pregnancy may harm a woman then her health and her family's well being need to be taken in to consideration. Additionally abortion should not be used as the only method of birth control as there are many safer methods available.

Posted by: R0d0Ferdy
  • Abortion is morally wrong.

This is not meant to attack anyone, but please read what I have to say.

Abortion is morally wrong. There is no justifiable reason to make abortion right. Abortion is murder, nothing more, nothing less. Kids are a gift from Jesus Christ.

"Children are a blessing and a gift from the LORD. Having a lot of children to take care of you in your old age is like a warrior with a lot of arrows. The more you have, the better off you will be, because they will protect you when your enemies attack with arguments." - Psalm 127:3-5 - CEV

When someone has their baby aborted, that person is throwing away the gift (the baby) that Jesus gave to that person.

The embryo is the baby (later called the fetus about eight weeks into the pregnancy). Just because there are no hands visible yet, or ears visible yet, does not mean that the baby is not a baby.

If someone killed a baby (that is already born) on purpose, that person goes to jail, but when someone kills an unborn baby via abortion it is ok and justified. That is not right.

"You are the one who put me together inside my mother's body, and I praise you because of the wonderful way you created me. Everything you do is marvelous! Of this I have no doubt. Nothing about me is hidden from you! I was secretly woven together deep in the earth below, but with your own eyes you saw my body being formed. Even before I was born, you had written in your book everything I would do." - Psalm 139:13-16 - CEV

• I disagree strongly with abortion

It is Gods child and you have no right to take away somebodys life. Abortion is murder!!! You see people who have killed people and have gone to jail but then you see people doing abortion and they do not get punished. Abortion is wrong and cruel. Nobody should have the right to take a child's life away. That child could be the child that got rid of cancer and now that child is gone because people who have taken that childs life by abortion!

• Regardless of the age of the victim, killing a person is always wrong.

The law exists to protect life and liberty - allowing anyone to be killed is the opposite of what the law is supposed to do. Pretending that this is a medical procedure is a lie: medicine is supposed to cure, not kill. Abortion is not a health-care issue, it is a decision whether we want our country to allow killing of the innocent.

Posted by: Qu3yNea
  • I do not agree that abortions be permitted under the law

Abortions should not be permitted under the law unless advised by a medical practitioner due to unavoidable circumstances or complication. Permitting abortions would lead to misuse of this law, leading to unnecessary discrimination, especially amongst certain nations and orthodox societies that discriminate between a girl and boy child and would prefer to abort a girl child, believing that they are an additional responsibility and liability. Abortion is also illegal as there are several methods to prevent unwanted pregnancy within a stipulated time rather than allowing the opportunity to be left to lead to an abortion.

Posted by: A Richardson
  • I strictly oppose abortion because it is a moral evil. People practice it often to escape one's sinful ways. Abortion amounts to murder of an innocent being that has not even seen the light of life.

I strongly feel that abortions should not be allowed or legalized under the law because abortion directly denotes taking a life. It is directly equivalent to killing somebody in cold blood. The only difference being that in case of an abortion, the human life is still in an embryo stage. Secondly, abortion is also not a morally ethical practice for any reason whatsoever. Today, there are several ways to prevent conception and if one has been careless enough to throw caution to the winds, rearing a bonny child is the next best option. There are many countries in the world where laws governing abortion and pre-natal gender determination are not sufficiently stringent.

Posted by: SmarterTabby
  • Before abortion, there is life. after abortion, there is not, and

We cannot deny this fact. Also the fetus has a heart beat, limbs, brain, and everything that adults do. It has nerves-it can feel. Why should killing this human be legal just because it has not yet come through a short canal? That is the only difference. Also, several time you mention that a woman has a right to her own body. If a woman is pregnant with a boy, does that mean she has a penis that is part of her body? If a fetus is just a parasite, then why is it the same being, shape, and organism as his/her mom? as one politician said, "if we are careless with life at the beginning, then we will be careless with life later on."

• Abortion should be made illegal.

Abortion is murder. It kills a life, even though it is not yet born. It takes away its chances and closes the door to everything around it. It will not be nice to the baby, as well as your body. Abortion harms the body to high extents, and your health may take long to replenish. Abortion ruins 2 people's lives, and maybe even a third - the father. Although the mother does not want the baby, it does not mean the baby does not want itself. Therefore, as murder is illegal, abortion should be illegal as well.

• It is murder

A baby has a heart beat normally around 8 weeks but my baby sisters heart beat was found at 6 weeks. The child is a living soul and innocent and doesn't have a choice. IT IS MURDER!!!! And I do not believe it at all. Make it illegal as soon as possible!!!

• The right to Life

The right to life outweighs the right to autonomy. The only exception I'll give you is if it is a rap, incest, or life of mother case, but those are so rare that it will only be like a few hundred a year instead of thousands. There is nothing more important than the right of life.

• Abortion is Murder

After 20 weeks or so, the fetus is able to feel extreme pain, as its nerves have developed to that point. Killing a fetus is similar, therefore, to killing a newborn child. Sure, its mother may not want it, and killing the infant would be so quick and easy, but it would be murder.