Opinion Question
Argument
Posted by:

15 & Pregnant.

Abstinence should be taught in school. It's the only way you won't get pregnant or get a girl pregnant and you wont be at risk for HIV, AIDS, and STI's. It would also stop abortions. Government programs are funding care for the unexpected pregnancies. Sex Ed is helpful to teens.
Anonymous says2013-07-19T01:12:06.010
Except that contraception prevents HIV/AIDS and other STD's. As well as pregnancy, also abortions wouldn't stop, and don't need to.
Rafe says2013-09-22T00:37:35.763
Abstinence prevents stds too. Do not be silly.
Jingram994 says2013-09-22T15:17:37.437
True, but you can't *make* teens be abstinent. If they want to have sex, they will, regardless of what you want them to do, or what you attempt to do to prevent them. Teaching them to have safe sex ensures the risks are minimized if they do ever choose to have sex.
Jingram994 says2013-09-22T15:19:43.990
And just as an aside here, but it has been empirically proven that abstinence only education leads to significantly higher numbers of both teen pregnancies and abortions than safe-sex education.
Rafe says2013-09-22T15:51:57.343
What are your souces about that fact? Abstinence is only a "problem" if the information the teens receive is contradictory. If they are taught abstinence, but do not have a strong family supporting them, making them more sensitive to bad peer pressure, they are more likely to have sex.
Giving them birth control is also a flawed argument, because if they are likely to disregard abstinence, what makes you think a teen careless enough to have sex will stop "foreplay" long enough to use any contraceptive method?
Jingram994 says2013-09-22T16:12:04.177
Because teenagers are biologically and hormonally driven to want to have sex. This is a big enough factor, along with abstinence only education *by definition* not being comprehensive enough to account for this, for them to disregard any incentives to be abstinent.

If a given teen wants to engage in consensual intercourse, they will go to surprising lengths, up to and including sneaking out, lying directly to parent's faces, 'running away', etc. To do so.

And no, giving them birth control is not a flawed argument in the slightest. First of all, having sex is not 'careless' in itself. Telling your child to not have sex, and not teaching them enough *about* sex for them to know how to do it safely, is a time bomb waiting to happen.

On the other hand, teaching your child enough about sex for them to be able to do it safely, all but ensures that they actually *will* do it safely should they do it at all. Being 'responsible' enough to not have sex *requires* that one ignore their basic instincts and desires, being responsible enough to use birth control does not. It's a lot more of a given that they *will* use birth control than they *won't* have sex. You can't base your entire argument on the supposition that telling your kid to not do something they *really* want to do will actually work.

Essentially, you *can't* be 'sure' that they will use birth control, but it's a much more reasonable and realistic expectation of them than trying to make them not have sex, and one that is much easier for them and in-line with what they actually *want* to do.

1) http://en.Wikipedia.Org/wiki/Sex_education_in_the_United_States

2) http://www.Addictinginfo.Org/2013/09/04/oklahoma-school-district-ditches-abstinence-only-program/

3) http://www.Sciencedaily.Com/releases/2011/11/111129185925.Htm

4) http://www.Sciencedaily.Com/releases/2011/11/111129185925.Htm

5) http://www.Policymic.Com/articles/55725/more-proof-that-comprehensive-sex-education-is-the-only-kind-that-works
Jingram994 says2013-09-22T16:14:17.300
If you have any trouble with the URL's, open a new tab, copy the URL directly, delete any capital letters and replace them with lower case versions. This site almost always formats them incorrectly, not sure why.
Rafe says2013-09-22T16:27:46.800
I will just cite your sources. "Because correlation does not imply causation, our analysis cannot demonstrate that emphasizing abstinence causes increased teen pregnancy."
Also, I never said anything about "abstinence only". I said abstinence must be a part of what they learn. Not doing it will mean you are preventing them from being free.
I will stop here because you are constantly misinterpreting and changing what I say to suit your weak argument.
If you still want to debate about this, please, stick to counter whan I say, not what I did not say.
Jingram994 says2013-09-22T16:40:57.213
I understand what you are arguing, I am simply disagreeing that what you are arguing makes sense from a basic logical point of view. Teaching safe sex does not mean teaching that they *must* have safe sex, it means teaching that any sex they *choose* to have must be safe. Teaching safe sex properly, as part of comprehensive sex education, includes teaching the choice to not have sex. One does not need to specifically teach 'how to not have sex' to get the point across that you don't *have* to have sex.

And yeah, I know that correlation does not imply causation, but that correlation is pretty evenly and widely spread where abstinence only sex education is concerned. It's a reasonable inference to make that there is at least some level of causation at work. Really, it's more an argument from me that safe-sex education *reduces* teen pregnancy than abstinence only directly increases it. Sorry if I wasn't entirely clear, but my argument was pretty long already and I was trying to use them both as part of the same example.

If there's anything else I may have missed, it's 2 in the morning where I am, so you'll have to excuse me.