• 15 & Pregnant.

Abstinence should be taught in school. It's the only way you won't get pregnant or get a girl pregnant and you wont be at risk for HIV, AIDS, and STI's. It would also stop abortions. Government programs are funding care for the unexpected pregnancies. Sex Ed is helpful to teens.

• It is going to happen sooner or later ..

Kids are going to have sex regardless of what sex education they teach! If students are going to have sex they might as well be taught of the different types of contraceptives for both males and females. They should know that there are free condoms at Planned Parenthood. Or maybe schools can provide them after school is over. I am 100% supported of a full and through sex education being taught. There are parents who do not teach talk to their kids about sex which is stupid. That is how your kids were made. It is just sex, it is not that big of a deal.

• Yes, but not by itself though.

Abstinence is an effective way of stopping the spread of STI's, that is if kids and teenagers didn't have a natural tendency to rebel. The best way to stop the spread of STI's is to remove the stigma against sex in schools, not to tell kids that sex is a bad thing, and give them unbiased information about STI's and contraceptive techniques.

• Yes, however not exclusively.

The question is should it be taught. I believe it should, as a general view and then also promote safe sex to those who want to engage in the action. Abstinence is the most effective birth control and AIDS preventer, however abstinence-only education is not. It is important to champion the use of contraceptives but still remind students that the lack of sex is helpful as well.

• Yes, but along with other things

Students should not only be taught about contraceptives but also about abstinence. They should know that no matter what they use while they're having sex, the only way to be 100% sure that no accidental pregnancy will occur and that they will not get an STD is through abstinence. Kids are going to have sex no matter what, so it is important that we teach them how to be safe about it. But we should also teach them that there is only one way to make sure that nothing will happen to you

• It is a big problem.

Students do not understand what they are doing, not to mention sex is for marriage only. Pills, condoms, and the like do not work and kids do not use them. Abstinence is the only way to fix the problems we are having in this country. That is what should be taught in the schools!

• Sex is Serious

If a child goes to school, they have heard about sex. Kids talk about it all the time. It is important for kids to know what the real deal is. Otherwise they may get into a situation unprotected and regret it. The old saying is true, it is better to be safe than sorry.

• yes, Abstinence should be taught in schools

Abstinence should be taught in schools as long as it is incorporated into an entire course on sexual development or sexual health. However, students should not be taught that abstinence is the only form of prevention of sexual disease, and pregnancy. Students should be given choices and they should be taught about all aspects of sexuality.

• Abstinence should be taught in school for many reasons

First of all, abstinence is most effective method for not getting pregnant. Besides, the government save a lot of money in campaigns and methods for birth control, such as condoms, foam, injections, etc. Therefore, we would have limited abortion cases. Moreover, we would avoid sexual diseases. For example, we would not worry anymore about Gonorrhea or Syphilis for our children at erly age.

• Abstinence and Safe sex

Not everyone has a good home or can confide in a parent. School is a place of teaching so whats the problem? Abstinence shouldn't be forced at us but taught to us. On top of that safe sex should be taught in combination with abstinence. As a teenager I'm going to have those feelings and especially in this new age where its all over the internet, I need to be aware!

• Abstinence should not be taught at school.

I feel that abstinence should not be taught at school. It should be taught at home. School should enrich the values that are gained from home not instill them. At school students learn how do to do math, read and write. Students also learn how to be social as a bi-product of being around peers. Surely mishaps like teen pregnancy are bound to happen, but it is up to parents and not teachers to police the matter. Religion is taught in church and moral values are taught at home.

• NO!

No, abstinence should not be taught in school. Instead, SAFE SEX should be taught in school. Come on, It's the 21st Century, most kids aren't going to engage in abstinence anymore, It's outdated. Teach safe sex so that students will know the precautions to take when they decide It's time to engage in sexual activity.

• Not At All

I expect the public school system to teach my children facts. I expect my daughters to learn how their bodies work and the biological details of sex; this is the purpose of a biology/health class. Included in this discussion should be information about contraception.

I will have a big problem if the school system decides it is their place to tell my girls when and where they are able to do what with their bodies. It is my place to instill them with values so that they can make their own decisions, it is not the place of the school system.

• Abstinence is not 100% Effective

1) There is no proof that people would keep their vows.
    2) There is still the possibility of rape, molestation or blood contact spreading STD's thus meaning that you can still get STD's even if you are in an abstinence program.
    3) Same as above (except blood contact) with pregnancy.
    4) What if a person marries but his/her partner has a STD, because most abstinence only programs indoctrinate students to fear preventative measures instead of how to use them.

• Teens don't always listen

If you teach abstinence in schools, half of the teens wont pay attention. Teens often disregard authority and go against their rules. If schools were to teach abstinence they should at least also teach safe sex. More teens now a days would pay more attention to the safe-sex talk rather that the abstinence talk. I should know much about this topic because I myself am a teen. Teens are more likely now days to have premarital sex. If we cant stop that we should at least teach them to do it safely

Posted by: baen
  • The Facts are true.

It is statistically proven that the states with schools that teach abstinence only education have the highest rate of STI's among teens. Thats got to say something. Kids aren't going to listen especially if they hear about it at school. Saying " don't have sex" is not an effective way to teach teens about the dangers and consequences of unprotected sex. They should be taught that if they are going to have sex then they need to take the necessary precautions so they don't get an STI or an unwanted child.

• Safe Sex is NOT the Same as Abstinence

Abstinence is a religious matter, and as a non religious person, it is an outrage to me that schools are teaching the ways of one religion when there are so many more out there that should not be ignored. Safe sex should definitely be taught, but it should be made clear that it's a choice. Let the kids know the consequences such as teen pregnancy and STDs, and then loosen the leash a bit. Studies show the teen pregnancy rate is higher in states that teach abstinence. Kids rebel, and schools should recognize that. Give them condoms, not bibles.

• Forced abstinence isn't always the best solution

Whether abstinence is taught in school or not, some teens will still consider having sex at a young age. If safe sex is taught in schools, then it decreases the chance of STD's, pregnancy, etc. Teens are notoriously rebellious and if told not to have sex, they may just do it anyway. If safe sex is taught, then at least they will have an idea of how to do it safely. It is up to the individual when they feel ready to have sex and if they are told how to do it safely, then it reduces the potentially bad outcomes that could arise from simply not knowing.

• Abstinence is a religious thing

Personally I believe as a non-religious person, that religious ideals being taught in schools over another ideal, which is a better way of teaching sex-ed (Condoms, birth control, going to the gyno, getting checked for stds, etc). The abstinence program I was taught said to wait until marriage. Im pretty sure marriage is only a legal thing. Not necessarily something with a moral attachment.

• Teens will not be prepared when they do decide to have sex.

Nothing wrong with abstinence however, when the teen in in the heat of the moment and they surcome to the feelings they are having you want them to know what to do. You teach them fire escape plans just in case the house catches on fire right? You do this just in case it happens not because you want them to be in an actual house fire. Im 35 and my first time whas when I was 19. Thankfully it had been drilled in me to use condoms or I could have gotten pregnant at a young age. When you teach abstinence you make it seem as if the teen is going to be looked at in a negative manner and they will not seek advise when they want to have sex. They will use what little they know and possibly make poor choices.
    They need to know how to properly put on a condom and where to get them for free if they need them. Stop this nonsence of not educating these kids.