• Yes, I would think so

It makes sense that achievements should be equated with progress because generally achievements are defined as such because you either have progressed or made progress towards a goal. I don't know why anyone would consider something an achievement if they didn't accomplish something that was leading them in the direction of a goal of theirs.

• Aren't they already?

The word achievement isn't thrown around when somebody does something that nobody thinks is good. Isn't the definition implying progress if it's being used? I think the only argument here is one that's on a case to case basis on if people agree something is good or not. If North Korea achieves a nuclear missile ready for launch, to them that's an achievement and progress. To their enemies it's something they figured out that sends us down a bad path and potentially backwards.

• Yes, they should.

Yes, I would agree that achievements should be equated with progress. Making an achievement is some sort of progress. An achievement is a goal made. A goal made is done through work and progress. Each achievement is the result of someone getting to the end of a goal he or she made, which is therefore progress.

• This is one of those questions that needs to be more specific.

Exactly what kind of achievements are we talking about here? How do you define progress? I can easily think of some achievements that would not, in fact, lead towards progress and would only set something backwards. It's really hard to answer this question. It can't be answered with a clear yes or no for every case.