• Strong emotional and psychological impact

I believe that adultery is the same as any other crime, such as stealing and murder. It affects a lot of people, and the emotional and psychological impact on the people involved can be devastating. Research has proven that children from broken families are less likely to become successful in life, as well as having psychological issues of their own.

A corporate spy can serve jail time for committing a Criminal Breach of Trust, so why should this be any different? A marriage is built on trust, and as such, any action that betray said trust should be made punishable by law.

• Adultery should be illegal.

Marriage is a bind contract with each spouse committing to a lifetime. Marriage is perhaps the most highly esteemed institution given to us by God. It is a ten commandment, just like murder and should be punishable by law. At the least financial consequences should be invoked upong the person doing the cheating.

• If adultery cannot be illegal than why not just abolish legal marriage all together

If the government want to issue marriage licenses but cannot up hold the contract of marriage then the piece of paper it issues is worthless and the government has no business issuing marriage licenses.
    Marriage should cease to exist legally and simply be just a religious ceremony if there isn't any legal consequences for adultery. I live in a state where there is an adultery law. My husband and his mother have rubbed the other woman in my face and my husband openly admitted to it in court. However, no one enforces the adultery penalty anymore, this is just disgusting.

• Adultry is a crime.

Cheating is a crime. Imagine is someone stole from you or hit you these are clearly criminal offences. Cheatimg is much more damaging to an individual as well as a family unit. Moreover marriage is a contract which includes fidelity. Breaking the contract not only damages individual's lives including spouse's and childrens lives but also undermines the institution of the family as a pillar of western values and culture.

• Breach of contract

Marriage is a deal, breaking it is a crime. ​​​​ ​ ​ ​​​​ ​ ​ ​​​​ ​ ​ ​​​​ ​ ​ ​​​​ ​ ​ ​​​​ ​ ​ ​​​​ ​ ​ ​​​​ ​ ​ ​​​​ ​ ​ ​​​​ ​ ​ ​​​​ ​ ​ ​​​​ ​ ​ ​​​​ ​ ​ ​​​​ ​ ​

• It destroys the family unit

Blended families have greater barriers for the children to navigate, the betrayed spouse is always traumatised and left broken and full of anxiety similar to abused individuals and to inflict this on anyone should be made an assault of the cruelest emotional abuse to inflict on any partner or spouse.

• I wholeheartedly agree

When you cheat on your partner, you're not only disappointing them or causing a discomfort or an end of a relationship, you're telling them that any relationship in the world will always come to this point, you're proving to them that staying on one-night-stands forever is the best way to go, you're setting an example of how every promise of a happily-ever-after or till-death-do-us-apart is utter bullshit.

You are also showing other people that marriage will always come to this, and same goes for any relationship where the two have vowed to overcome all obstacles.

Of course, the damage doesn't stop here, but also with the partner you cheated with. You make that person attached to you, and they watch you go back to your marriage like they don't exist, that if you didn't already lie about being married. Then you want to make up for it, by causing even more damage, either by dissolving the marriage or abandoning the new person you're promising of something probably as equally fragile is the first.

Don't get me started about the children. If you have kids, a cheating father or mother will destroy their children's psyche, no matter how or young they are. Parents don't stop being parents after finishing elementary or high school, they remain that beautiful image, that warm home, that beautiful feeling until one's death. What you do will affect them no matter how much you try to convince yourself not to.

Marriage IS a responsibility, a relationship IS a responsibility, you're either mature and strong and responsible enough to take it, or you find yourself a friend-with-benefits or hell even a hooker and enjoy yourself. But don't use the "I need to be happy too" excuse when you've built a whole family and no you selfishly wanna leave and destroy it. Your happiness isn't the only thing at stake here.

• Of course it should be

It destroys marriages, the self esteem of whoever is cheated on, and further complications occur if the husband/boyfriend is forced to raise the child of another man for 18 years (completely unacceptable worst possible scenario). Funny how any self-respecting person could stay with a partner who they found out had cheated on them, because of legal issues. This is why I will never get married.

• It is a legal contract

It is important that one respects the legal contract and sticks to their promises. When the person got married, they knew that they agreed to stick with on person and one person only. The marriage must be accepted. If on feels unhappy in the marriage then they must formally divorce before any further relationships are undertaken.

• Relationships are no business of the government.

The argument that it destroys the life of the victims, i.e. children or spouse who was cheated on, is false because that would mean it should be illegal to fire someone from their job.

To the emotional aspect: Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them. In other words, if you take offense to the actions of another, it is your fault. You were not murdered, you were done no physical injustice but to hurt someone's feelings. By that logic, rejection should be illegal (even if that is a slippery slope).

As to the idea of a contract, the debate is whether adultery should be part of that contract, so therefore the idea of "it's a contract and violating that contract is a crime" is false.

• Government is not moral police

Now are you going to ask for punishment if somebody hook with you and then later refuse to have relationship with you?

Or maybe your partner should be punished because he want to break up with you.

I don't deny what happened is horrible. But still the most I feel law should do is to expedite divorce process in such cases

• Government is not moral police

• Government is not moral police

• What constitutes cheating, exactly?

Is cheating sex? Kissing? Holding hands? Sending risqué photos? Love letters? What about feeling mesmerized by another person? Can we only "cheat" with sex or feelings? How about cheating a partner out of money; if I quit working, am I cheating my spouse? What if I spend like crazy? What if I stop having sex with my spouse? Or if I spend all my time watching tv? If I meet someone and fall in love and divorce my spouse before having sex with the new person is that cheating? And, if I get divorced because I want to have sex with someone else, or fall in love with someone else, how long do I have to wait after getting divorced to get started on my life? Can I have any contact with a member of the opposite sex while married? I get how devastating it can feel to discover your partner is unfaithful but who apportions blame and how? Let's be honest: a whole lot of marriages are just two people living like roommates and raising kids. Comfortable enough and maybe even easy and efficient, but about as stimulating as warm milk. No doubt, the person "betrayed" is rocked by having his or her comfy situation disturbed, but why does the "cheating" spouse owe his/her life to preserving their spouse's happiness at the expense of his/her own? I'll make the argument that parents should try damn hard to at least get all their kids to adulthood before splitting up, but that might mean both parents tolerating some degree of discomfort (e.G. Accepting your spouse is having sex outside the marriage or postponing moving on with your life and staying in your dull marriage) until your youngest graduates from high school. I think a lot of people who are cheated-on are the more vulnerable party in the couple. That's scary because you fear losing your lifestyle, but no one owes us a plush living if providing for us means losing for themselves. It seems most likely that most of those arguing in favor of punishment are the abandoned and betrayed. Yes, you are wounded but why should the State prefer maintaining your fantasies and lifestyle over that of the person who wants to move on from you?

• Do you need the courts or government to protect your shitty marriages?

C'mon now. How many more laws do we need? How much more should the government be involved in our personal lives? If you're married and either you or your spouse cheats, that's on you, your spouse and anyone else involved.

Adultery leads to violence? So does cutting people off in traffic. Control yourself.

Third parties? That single person who boned your whore wife/husband wasn't married. Your whore wife/husband is. Take it up with them.

Stop being such pansies and regulate yo' shit.

• Why would it be?

You cheat on your partner so what ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ? ? ?? ? ?? ? ???? ??? ? ? ? ?? ? ? ?? ? ?? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ? ?? ?? ??????? ? ? ?? ?

• It is your choice.

Adultery should not be a crime. Everybody needs the right to choose who they have sex with and nobody should have their privacy breached in court. You are free to make your own choices about who you sleep with and while adultery may not be morally correct. It is in no way, a criminal offence.

• The world is overly concerned with the breeding habits of society.

You cant make something illegal just because someone has a change of opinion.....Especially with sex. Is it offensive that a partner no longer has sexual interest? Adultery normally has multiple surrounding issues that causes one partner or the other to find meaning elsewhere, and is usually the product of months, if not years of problems.

My opinion says, get divorced, then move on. Most people don't want to be upfront with the guilt of saying "I don't love you anymore" and choose to function in the illusion that they can do things in secret. In other times there is love, but zero sexual attraction.....Each situation is different. But to make yet another law about whose house you remove your pants at is just moronic. Get therapy....