Should Algebra be required to graduate high school?

• Because its wack

Mad people be dropin out of school because of algebra and the math regents because there algebra in the test and there is no reason to have algebra we are no gonna use algebra in the real world its just some thing that keeps people stressed and tired and causing bad grades and holding kids from graduating high school

• It is the core of abstract thinking.

If we eliminate algebra and other difficult subjects from school curriculums and emphasize subjects that are currently needed such as the latest in media marketing, we will create a happy generation, but they will be happy like being on

drugs. They will not see what the clues around them are predicting because they have not learned to think abstractly about possibilities. So face it. Life is not a piece of cake and to stay competitive in this Internet age, we have to be multi-disciplinary, learn many and difficult subjects, think critically and imagine what is currently unknown.

• Algebra helped in the development of the history of the United States.

The industrial revolution and the first man on the moon was made possible by algebra. If the U.S. never sent the man up into space and landed him on the moon, then we would not have jumped so far ahead in science or in space discoveries. For example: a boy doesn't like his math class or algebra teacher. He decides to opt out of that class. Sense he never took algebra, he never moved forward and invented the time machine, or the teleporter. This is a theoretical example but is very logical and possible. I may just be an 8th grader with a passion for math, but look at the other side. There are only two actual arguments. That says something.

• Yes not all students try in math

In my experience of sitting in class rooms for algebra or high school math classes I've seen a number of students who instead of check homework or take notes decide to sit there doing nothing or playing on their phones during classes many different teachers have observed the same thing if students do not try why should their laziness be in the work force, the world is not just sit there and get a pay check people need to be trying to pass and succeed.

• Yes yes yes

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

• Yes, algebra is necessary

Restating what the first person said, algebra is the foundation for higher level math, such as Pre-Calculus and Calculus. Education.Com shows that most of the people who applied for Oberlin College had Pre-Calculus on their list of classes, and the majority of those people had Calculus. If they had not taken algebra, they wouldn't have had those classes and, consequently, wouldn't have been able to get in.

• Algebra- a subject of consideraton

Algebra, a branch of mathematics which uses letters to represent numbers and quantities in formulae and equations, has been under great controversy whether to be included or not for passing the graduation. However, on my side I believe that it should be a subject of consideration because Algebra is the foundation for most of the higher math, and the application of advanced math helps understand physics, geometry, biology and how the world works in general. Algebra teaches both mathematical skills and also the invaluable skill of problem solving. The math may not be necessary for all, but the problem-solving skills algebra teaches through the use of variables and manipulating equations are essential. Moreover, solving algebra problems teaches students to think abstractly, and this skill carries over in to almost all aspects of life.

• Yes, but taught differently

I hear arguments against requiring algebra because it's too hard and many fail it. But the real problem is how algebra is taught. I just opened up my daughter'a math textbook and went crazy about what was written there. They way they teach it in singapore is concepts vs. Process, and a way where students become more advanced.

• Algebra Should Be Requirement for Graduation

Yes, algebra should be a requirement for graduation of high school as algebra teaches not only mathematical skill, but the invaluable skill of problem solving. Solving algebra problems teaches students to think abstractly, and this skill carries over in to almost all aspects of life. Algebra is very, very important.

• Yes, Algebra is core requirement for high school diploma.

As we all know, a quality education is the single most important factor in helping determine the quality of life one may live. Education is the answer to poverty, and key to the American Dream. Without a good education one is relegated to a series of menial, low paying, and often unrewarding jobs. One of the basic requirements of a good education is the understanding of algebraic concepts that one learns in an Algebra course. It continues to be and should be a requirement for a high school diploma.

• Algebra should be banned

Because my students drop out of school and that effects them and there education because algebra is making them do those things and then we question what are they going to do with there lives.You dont have to go to colloge a longs you know how to count and how to read but if algebra was much easier it wouldnt be no problem.

• #1 Reason for HIGH failure rate in High School

1. Its arbritary
    2. 95% of high school students will never use it in the real world.
    3. It lessens the importance of other Maths such as Statistics, Logic, and Financial Math all of which are needed in the real world as opposed to Algebra.
    4. It lessens the importance of other subjects. Since it takes a long time to master, for most students, that is time taken away from other more important subjects that students will need to know in the real world.
    5. It causes psychological trauma as students spend ungodly hours trying to master something that their brains may be unable to master.
    "Just like not all of us are equipped to be master Pianists no matter how long we practice, likewise not all of us will become Algebra Master's no matter how long we practice and retake the course."
    6. Algebra is not the only way ( nor is it a better way) to teach people to think "abstractly".
    "Saying one person can think abstractly and another cannot is ludicrous. If you can learn to translate symbols (words, for example) into meaning, and use that to create meaning (communicate), then you can think to a profound level of abstraction..."
    7. It has not proven itself useful beyond the realm of Science and Engineering.
    8. It is not only responsible for increase in high school failure rates but it is also among the top 2 reasons for dropping out of College.
    9. It is responsible for an increase in crime and high prison rates. High failure rate due to Algebra=less economic success due to lack of high school diploma and college degree=increase in crime= high Prison rates.
    10. High failure rates due to Algebra is costing our economy hundreds of millions $$$.

• Like in the movies, Algebra and math classes are the reason students are miserable.

I'm a freshman in high school. I've always been one step ahead of everyone my age mentally. Everyone calls me smart and come to me with real good questions. But, school hasn't taught me any of the things I know. One of those bane-of-my-life classes is Algebra. First of all, we've been doing math since Pre-K. Second of all, Algebra didn't help America gain it's independence. Math is important no matter what. We need it to know how to count money and distribute it. But, the BRANCHES of math are crossing the line. Algebra, geometry, calculus, etc. I don't give a shit about how to measure every speck of meat in my burger. I just want to fucking eat it shamelessly. Algebra claims to be helping students think critically. Stop. Get some help. If algebra was REALLY used in every day life, we students would remember it after learning it and we would come to school every day prepared to take the next Algebra text over quadratics or exponential functions. A happy ending. Tell me, U.S. modern day schooling, is that what you had in mind? Pfft. Sure looks like it to me. Algebra doesn't help my stepfather climb 30-50 foot electric poles and fear for his life. Algebra doesn't help my mom answer 9-1-1 calls and make sure the callers stay alive. Algebra doesn't protect my family and put food on the table. When I grow up, I want to major in music. There isn't a SINGLE school subject that helps me play the bass clarinet. So many good students I know are so miserable and giving up on school because of algebra. Such a shame. They won't graduate if they can't determine the X of a square and Algebra is supposed to be a HEALTHY brain exercise, but really we students stick to technology. I'll use video games. Video games are a digital brain exercise and give lots of students something to look forward to at the end of the day.

• F.R.I.E.N.D.S or not?

An American television sitcom, created by David Crane and Marta Kauffman, which aired on NBC from September 22, 1994 to May 6, 2004, lasting ten seasons. With an ensemble cast starring Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry and David Schwimmer, the show revolves around six 20–30-something friends living in Manhattan. The series was produced by Bright/Kauffman/Crane Productions, in association with Warner Bros. Television. The original executive producers were Kevin S. Bright, Marta Kauffman, and David Crane.

Kauffman and Crane began developing Friends under the title Insomnia Cafe between November and December 1993. They presented the idea to Bright, and together they pitched a seven-page treatment of the show to NBC. After several script rewrites and changes, including a title change to Six of One,[1] and, Friends Like Us, the series was finally named Friends.[2]

Filming of the show took place at Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank, California. All ten seasons of Friends ranked within the top ten of the final television season ratings; ultimately reaching the no. 1 spot in its eighth season. The series finale, aired on May 6, 2004, was watched by around 52.5 million American viewers, making it the fifth most-watched series finale in television history,[3][4][5] and the most-watched television episode of the 2000s decade.[6][7]

Friends received acclaim throughout its run, becoming one of the most popular television shows of all time.[8] The series was nominated for 62 Primetime Emmy Awards, winning the Outstanding Comedy Series award in 2002 for its eighth season. The show ranked no. 21 on TV Guide's 50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time,[9] and no. 7 on Empire magazine's The 50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time.[10][11] In 1997, the episode "The One with the Prom Video" was ranked no. 100 on TV Guide's 100 Greatest Episodes of All-Time.[12] In 2013, Friends ranked no. 24 on the Writers Guild of America's 101 Best Written TV Series of All Time, and no. 28 on TV Guide's 60 Best TV Series of All Time.

• Useless if you're not majoring in a work field that requires math. And just for a slip of paper? Why?

Algebra should be 100 percent optional. For me personally, I am going to a vocational school for music or art, but the problem is, I don't have enough slots in my schedule to take art and music classes because I have to take these required classes, algebra being one of them, that don't help my future. These required classes are kind of getting in the way of my future job and that just makes me hate school so much. I keep failing the class so it takes even more slots. What's the point? Why can't kids who want to take it, have it, and kids who don't want to take it, leave it? When you reach high school, a lot of classes become unnecessary, in my opinion. World history? Don't need it, but it's interesting. You take history all the way up to 8th grade anyways. Same goes for most science classes and English classes. If I'm going to college to major in mathematics then I would take the class, but I'm not. So basically, the only reason I'm wasting my time is to get a piece of paper that says I can move on. I'm sorry, but the school system is just dumb.

• Math isn't really needed in our daily lives

I disagree to this because this is one of many main reasons of students dropping out of schools and others failing.As a student, I have eexperienced this type of problem and has caused and will cause a a domino effect in your life.Algebra isn't really useful in our daily lives an example will when you buy discounted things but haven't been lessened yet you will not have to solve a long equation to find the price right?

• An argument towards why Algebra is relatively unimportant using quotes from the Mathematical Association of America's arguments.

It's just another purposeless carryover from the Cold War that's only taught because tradition often impedes progress. If made optional, we'd likely see a higher graduation rate for current students, and a more optimistic attitude by students in relation to school. Overall, algebra falls flat on it's face when attempting to prepare students for the future, with the few explanations of it's role as a mandatory course either being flimsily constructed, easy to replicate with real-world experience, or touched on in other courses. Additionally, algebra is the primary reason for students to drop out of school, or fail to graduate.

• Imma rap god

Uh summa lumma dumma lumma you assuming imma human what i gotta do to get it through to ya imma superhuman innovative and im made of rubber so that anything say is ricocheting off of me and then i glue it to ya never stating more than ever demonstrating how to give a muthafuckin audience a feeling like its levitating cause i know the way to get em motivated

• Ds vi ci

Jdsnijfdsdsafmddjfojfiohfdiofoidpusgfoi oifu opdifu odfiu odiuf oisud o sidu osidu oidu foi fvufd idu ofdiu odu fof iufodi uoiudf ofd fiofu fuf fufd fufuf uvu u u u u u u u u u uu u u u u u u u u u u uu u u u uu i

• Ds vi ci