Should Algebra be required to graduate high school?

• It is the core of abstract thinking.

If we eliminate algebra and other difficult subjects from school curriculums and emphasize subjects that are currently needed such as the latest in media marketing, we will create a happy generation, but they will be happy like being on

drugs. They will not see what the clues around them are predicting because they have not learned to think abstractly about possibilities. So face it. Life is not a piece of cake and to stay competitive in this Internet age, we have to be multi-disciplinary, learn many and difficult subjects, think critically and imagine what is currently unknown.

• Algebra helped in the development of the history of the United States.

The industrial revolution and the first man on the moon was made possible by algebra. If the U.S. never sent the man up into space and landed him on the moon, then we would not have jumped so far ahead in science or in space discoveries. For example: a boy doesn't like his math class or algebra teacher. He decides to opt out of that class. Sense he never took algebra, he never moved forward and invented the time machine, or the teleporter. This is a theoretical example but is very logical and possible. I may just be an 8th grader with a passion for math, but look at the other side. There are only two actual arguments. That says something.

• Yes not all students try in math

In my experience of sitting in class rooms for algebra or high school math classes I've seen a number of students who instead of check homework or take notes decide to sit there doing nothing or playing on their phones during classes many different teachers have observed the same thing if students do not try why should their laziness be in the work force, the world is not just sit there and get a pay check people need to be trying to pass and succeed.

• Yes yes yes

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

• Yes, algebra is necessary

Restating what the first person said, algebra is the foundation for higher level math, such as Pre-Calculus and Calculus. Education.Com shows that most of the people who applied for Oberlin College had Pre-Calculus on their list of classes, and the majority of those people had Calculus. If they had not taken algebra, they wouldn't have had those classes and, consequently, wouldn't have been able to get in.

• Algebra- a subject of consideraton

Algebra, a branch of mathematics which uses letters to represent numbers and quantities in formulae and equations, has been under great controversy whether to be included or not for passing the graduation. However, on my side I believe that it should be a subject of consideration because Algebra is the foundation for most of the higher math, and the application of advanced math helps understand physics, geometry, biology and how the world works in general. Algebra teaches both mathematical skills and also the invaluable skill of problem solving. The math may not be necessary for all, but the problem-solving skills algebra teaches through the use of variables and manipulating equations are essential. Moreover, solving algebra problems teaches students to think abstractly, and this skill carries over in to almost all aspects of life.

• Yes, but taught differently

I hear arguments against requiring algebra because it's too hard and many fail it. But the real problem is how algebra is taught. I just opened up my daughter'a math textbook and went crazy about what was written there. They way they teach it in singapore is concepts vs. Process, and a way where students become more advanced.

• Algebra Should Be Requirement for Graduation

Yes, algebra should be a requirement for graduation of high school as algebra teaches not only mathematical skill, but the invaluable skill of problem solving. Solving algebra problems teaches students to think abstractly, and this skill carries over in to almost all aspects of life. Algebra is very, very important.

• Yes, Algebra is core requirement for high school diploma.

As we all know, a quality education is the single most important factor in helping determine the quality of life one may live. Education is the answer to poverty, and key to the American Dream. Without a good education one is relegated to a series of menial, low paying, and often unrewarding jobs. One of the basic requirements of a good education is the understanding of algebraic concepts that one learns in an Algebra course. It continues to be and should be a requirement for a high school diploma.

• Useless if you're not majoring in a work field that requires math. And just for a slip of paper? Why?

Algebra should be 100 percent optional. For me personally, I am going to a vocational school for music or art, but the problem is, I don't have enough slots in my schedule to take art and music classes because I have to take these required classes, algebra being one of them, that don't help my future. These required classes are kind of getting in the way of my future job and that just makes me hate school so much. I keep failing the class so it takes even more slots. What's the point? Why can't kids who want to take it, have it, and kids who don't want to take it, leave it? When you reach high school, a lot of classes become unnecessary, in my opinion. World history? Don't need it, but it's interesting. You take history all the way up to 8th grade anyways. Same goes for most science classes and English classes. If I'm going to college to major in mathematics then I would take the class, but I'm not. So basically, the only reason I'm wasting my time is to get a piece of paper that says I can move on. I'm sorry, but the school system is just dumb.

• Math isn't really needed in our daily lives

I disagree to this because this is one of many main reasons of students dropping out of schools and others failing.As a student, I have eexperienced this type of problem and has caused and will cause a a domino effect in your life.Algebra isn't really useful in our daily lives an example will when you buy discounted things but haven't been lessened yet you will not have to solve a long equation to find the price right?

• An argument towards why Algebra is relatively unimportant using quotes from the Mathematical Association of America's arguments.

It's just another purposeless carryover from the Cold War that's only taught because tradition often impedes progress. If made optional, we'd likely see a higher graduation rate for current students, and a more optimistic attitude by students in relation to school. Overall, algebra falls flat on it's face when attempting to prepare students for the future, with the few explanations of it's role as a mandatory course either being flimsily constructed, easy to replicate with real-world experience, or touched on in other courses. Additionally, algebra is the primary reason for students to drop out of school, or fail to graduate.

• Imma rap god

Uh summa lumma dumma lumma you assuming imma human what i gotta do to get it through to ya imma superhuman innovative and im made of rubber so that anything say is ricocheting off of me and then i glue it to ya never stating more than ever demonstrating how to give a muthafuckin audience a feeling like its levitating cause i know the way to get em motivated

• Ds vi ci

Jdsnijfdsdsafmddjfojfiohfdiofoidpusgfoi oifu opdifu odfiu odiuf oisud o sidu osidu oidu foi fvufd idu ofdiu odu fof iufodi uoiudf ofd fiofu fuf fufd fufuf uvu u u u u u u u u u uu u u u u u u u u u u uu u u u uu i

• Ds vi ci

• Teachers say we need Algebra and higher levels of math for everyday life, but do we really?

To be honest we just need basic math such as 2+2=4. Because Algebra isn't useful in everyday life, it's just a waste of knowledge. Careers that require that level of math would be a different story. Such as if you wanted to be a Scientist or an Engineer, then you would need that level of math and possibly higher levels.

• No no no

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

• No no no

• Drtedrsdrt vghgj fghg

Vftdtyfuyfguyugiuggigiugtuugtuigujg fyygygy hvgf gyg hgg kiui ff yygyg ffyyg gfugg ygyyf ggcfdyk tyygtyty tftyftft yfgfgfg nhibhunjininininh hbbuhughug kkljjhghjj bhjghjbv ftyfg fhghgj hkjhgfdy hgff gtdd kbnvhfdgjd ddgg kgj gfjfg utfj gcu jhg, fjkfcb jhg bhkvgn nbhbhmgj v fjv hn hh vbn bhh b ngd gdgnb jfm gghjg njghjkh hfgj fgjhhh fgfjjgjgj