• It's simple. Legalizing drugs will fix a lot.

Before I say anything on this subject, I would like to say that I have never in my life done any illegal drugs. I am not fighting for it because I want to legally be able to get high, I earnestly believe that legalizing drugs will solve a lot of problems, and here's why.

First, there is the crime involved with drugs. If drugs were legalized, then many of those crimes would decrease. Because drugs are so expensive on the black market, people have to shell out a ton of money for a small amount of substance. If drugs were legalized then the prices would decrease drastically and people wouldn't have to take such extreme measures to get their fix. Also, since it is illegal, when there is an issue involving drugs it cannot be taken up with the law. Legalizing drugs would give people that opportunity, rather than them feeling like violence is the only way they can solve it.

Second, there is the black market. If drugs are legalized, they will become easily available to everyone, eliminating the need for a black market. The cartels and gangs will fall apart. They will be forced to create companies or quit, and if they create companies they will have to answer to the law. There won't be fights over territory any more, reducing violence by a large percentage.

Third, there is the issue of prison overcrowding. If you took away all of the people put in prison for simply owning or selling drugs, that puts the prisons at just over maximum, rather than way over. Then, if you consider that on average 40% of other crimes are drug related, it reduces the criminals in prison to comfortably below the maximum. Our tax dollars can then be spent on other more important issues than on trying to keep people on drugs in prisons.

Fourth, many people are worried about overdosing and a major increase in druggies. However, it has been proved time and time again that if the people want something they will get it, regardless of the law. Legalizing it will hardly affect the number of people doing drugs. It will affect overdosing, though. The most common reason for overdose is the varying percentages of pure drugs. Many street drugs have been diluted with other substances that are similar looking. The problem is that they aren't all diluted the same. If you take heroine that is 3%, and then the next time take the same amount of heroine that is 5%, you are nearly doubling your intake. If it's legalized then people will know exactly what they're putting in their body. That will reduce the number of overdoses by a huge amount.

I could go on, but I feel that those cover it pretty well. It's simple really. We legalize drugs and enforce different laws pertaining to them to ensure people are consuming them safely. It won't solve everything, but it will definitely help many of the issues surrounding drugs.

• No other reason is required other than NO ONE has the right to tell me what I can and cant take.

Personally, it makes me offended and angry that any government would tell me what I can and can't use. Whether for pain relief or recreation. Doesn't matter. The problem here, is people who think they have the right to tell others what they can or cannot do with their own bodies. Setting aside all other arguments, to be quite frank I think they should all go screw themselves. Sure, if someone commits a crime that causes harm go after them. However stop projecting your fear and control towards me. Thank you very much. This is a polite request on behalf of all people who love freedom and respect the dignity of their fellow human beings.

• Some people suffer from stress and some drugs relieve stress.

I think drugs should be legalized because some people get really stressed and some drugs relieve that stress. Drugs also relieve pain, so some drugs if they are legalized could be used for medical purposes. So in my opinion drugs should be legalized as long as they are in an area that is suitable, and where they cannot harm others. People who disagree, just take a look at the people who smoke tobacco. Tobacco is if not a more harmful drug than a drug such as marijuana. Tobacco can't even be used for medical uses. Therefore drugs should be legalized. Aged 14.

• My body, My choice.

Who are you to tell me what I can and can't to to my body in the privacy of my own home as long as doing so won't harm others? It's as simple as that. Sure, drugs can be abused but that can be said about anything. Coca Cola can be abused but you don't see the government closing down all establishments that sell it. Consenting adults should be able to do whatever the hell they want to their own bodies and who are you to say that they can't?

• If it's legalized, it's more controlled.

America has been fighting a war on drugs for decades and it's not working. The number of consumers has been increasing ever since. Declaring drugs illegal only makes them look cooler to a lot of stupid people. Take a look at the dry law. It was when alcohol was prohibited that it's consumerism was higher. People who really want to take drugs will do it whether it's legal or not. They don't care.
    I think that this is very similar to education. If your parents are really strict and don't let you do anything, you'll eventually end up doing it anyway. Every teenager likes to drink at parties and take a smoke every now and then. But you'll be all by yourself and the chances of losing control and screwing up are much higher. O the other hand if your parents say it's okay to do it as long as you let them no what you're doing and let them help you understand the risks, they can control you. So if they see you're doing in too much they'll stop you. It's much more efficient under this approach.
    Now here's another point of view. Imagine you're totally broke and you have your kids at home, starving. You've got no job and nobody's hiring. The prices of the most simple things are getting higher and higher and you have no way out. Except selling drugs. It's easy and provides you the money you need to put food on the table and pay the rent. But since it's illegal you'll probably be arrested sooner or later and the laws on drugs are tough. Specially if you're black. So what are your options? Even if you don't have kids to look after. Think of your options. Starve, be homeless or deal drugs and maybe get locked up. Either way your life's ruined. And the sad thing is is this happens all the time in america and there's no way out this life. Nothing you can do. So maybe if drugs were legalized, these people would have a way out without risking jail for years

• This is interesting

Lets look at what facts are available to us. Drug use is incredibly wide spread, it is a major component of the global economy and is built into our very nature, cats can be seen chewing catnip, jaguars eating the psychadelic roots of plants. The war on drugs is not a war on drugs, but on human nature. If you are reading this, have you ever taken a drug? You may say no, but what about your morning coffee, nicotine, alcohol, codine containing painkillers, why do we use drugs? Because they serve a purpose, some users use for their pain releaving qualities (very few people will argue that painkillers should be illegal, even paracetamol, which is the leading cause of poisoning in the western world) others use drugs to feel better, or feel pleasure, but over all drugs are used to increase the positives, no drug user wants to become ill, but unfortunately over use of many drugs leads to health and social problems, alcohol causes death to a quarter of its users, tobacco kills half of its users, over the counter medications such as ibuprophen and paracetamol can and do cause liver damage, caffiene can cause anxiety, headaches, withdrawal symptoms and even death, despite this, these drugs are regulated, and taxed, which allows the profit made from drug use to go towards better causes, such as rehab and scientific research, health care and policing. Drug use will never go away. An argument commonly used by prohibition supporters is "what about crack users, heroin users, what about their children" let me first point out that alcohol and tobacco ruin more childrens lives that crack cocaine and heroin combined. Legalising these hard drugs will not increase their use significantly, if at all, why? Well would you take heroin if it where legalised tomorrow? No. Do you truly believe that the law is preventing would be heroin and crack users from choosing to use the drugs? No. Drug users use drugs regardless of laws. And people also abstain from drugs regardless of legality, I very rarely use alcohol, but on the occasion that I do you could rightly call me a recreational drug user. Do I believe that total legalisation is the key? Maybe it is.

• Legalize It All

Legalizing all drugs removes the moral-ism from drugs. During alcohol prohibition the United States was the largest importer of cocktail shakers, with a speak easy on every corner. Now that alcohol is legalized and regulated as a controlled substance tax revenue funds many programs, alcohol products are safe because they are produced under regulations/standards. Highly specialized products have been developed and are sought after by discerning connoisseurs (as with tobacco). Jobs are an economic benefit of legalization. Those jobs will not be a risk to the lives of those employed or their neighbourhoods the way drug distribution destroys neighbourhoods today. Reduced policing saves communities money better spent on building community programs rather than policing moralistic laws. How can tobacco, alcohol and prescription drugs be legal and the so-called 'illegal drugs' not? For every drug dealer or drug king pin captured and put in jail a number of others take that spot. And the illegal trade simply continues to get more sophisticated and guns get bigger. The illegal trade is ruining entire communities.Regulate, legalize and prosper.

• It's our Choice to Choose.

I think it is our choice to determine what we put in our body's, not the government. As long as we do it without affecting others, and we don't drive under the influence of any drugs, then it should be legal to do any drugs that we want, because it's our bodies.

• Marijuana

In my opinion, if there was a drug to be legalized it should be Marijuana. To all of you anti-marijuana, stuck up people, come on. Have you ever known someone to smoke marijuana and turn into an abusive person? Absolutely not. Have you ever known someone to drink alcohol and be abusive? Absolutely. If you think that Marijuana is harmful, you are ignorant. Smoking tobacco does more harm to a person, than Marijuana ever could. Yet, it is perfectly legal. The cigarette smoker knows it will eventually kill them. But, Marijuana on the other hand? It can be used for medicinal purposes. Where's the harm in that? i think i've made my point.

• Freedom of choice

People who do heroine and LSD do not harm any one but themselves. There should still be laws against getting high and driving but for the most part, wether its legal or not people will all ways get the drugs. We might as well make sure people are getting what they paid for. Also it would be more helpful to send a meth addict to rehab instead of just putting them in prison and ruining their life in jail.

• LOL sushma

Really?? Do you know what's stopping thousands of people from doing drugs?? Hmm, I dunno, perhaps the LAW???

• Anyone that thinks that we should legalize all drugs is insane, because the increase in crime would be unmanageable.

I can see how someone might consider legalizing pot. But, legalizing all drugs is just a crazy idea. If America did this, then we would have even more problems with crime. In addition to this, more people would end up on welfare, because of their drug problems. Drug use should never be condoned by the government or considered socially acceptable.

Posted by: Nich0HeIPfuI
  • Absolutely not. Just marijuana.

The resolution is "Should all drugs be legalized?" No, ALL drugs should not be legalized. This would increase dangers on the street, secondhand smoke, immorality, the population of law-enforcement officials, and number of deaths. If I had to pick a drug to legalize, it would be marijuana; that would at least create economic growth and could help to solve other issues like murder and rape. But I have big problems with cocaine, crack, heroin, even hemp.

• No

Why should we contaminate the air others are breathing just so we can get high? It's stupid to risk the lives of other people to come by smoking drugs for our own pleasure. Shortening the lives of everyone so only some can have fun. It's just not okay.

• NO NO NO!!

We still have many problems with smoking and alcohol. If drugs like Heroin and Cannabis are legalized it still won't suddenly make the countries drug problems just disappear.People say that legalising drugs will take the thrill out of them, so no-one will take them anymore. This just isn't true. When abortions became legal, people didn't suddenly stop having abortions. People say that we should have a right to do whatever we want with our bodies. We don't. You can't walk down the street naked, so why should you be allowed to do harmful things to it, like putting poisonous chemicals into it?? All it does it hurt you. It's just generally not a good idea. SO DON'T LEGALIZE THEM!!

• Drugs are bad. Period.

Think about children. Many children who have drug users as parents have to go through extensive abuse! How would you like it if your parents were always on cocaine or marijuana, and were always abusing and mistreating you? Nobody likes or deserves that! So WHY on earth do we want to LEGALISE DRUGS? We can help those who cannot defend themselves from drug using parents by keeping drugs illegal!
    Take a moment to think about it. Is this the kind of world we want our children growing up in? A world full of drug addicts? I don’t think so, and I definitely do not want any child of mine to have to live in a society with drugs legalised.
    Drugs ruin your life and mess up your head! There are kids in high schools and colleges, and sometimes even middle schools on drugs! These children are th troublemakers, have bad grades, get into fights, don’t do homework, and other various things that are not good. They don’t pay attnetion in class. By legalising drugs, you are encouraging more people to try it because many will say that there must be a reason why it was legalised, and get it in their heads that drugs are good which is a complete lie!
    This isn’t even a REAL debate! Have you ever seen someone under a drug addiction? They aren’t themselves! They are a completely different peson who will do stupid things or make frequent mistakes because they are not in their right mind
    For those that think drugs relieve stress: Drugs do nothing of the sort! People have exisisted for centuries and have never needed crack or cocaine or marijuana to handle stress! Drugs ruin you, your body, your mind, everything! Remember, the user is not the only person affected by drugs; all those around him/her are affected indirectly.
    People say that we should have a right to do whatever we want with our bodies. We don't. You can't walk down the street naked, so why should you be allowed to do harmful things to it, like putting poisonous chemicals into it? All it does it hurt you. It's just generally not a good idea. So don’t legalise drugs!

• Is this even a REAL debate?

Should all drugs be legalized? Is that really what people are going for? To those of you that said yes, have you ever seen someone with a drug addiction? They aren't themselves! Some drugs are illegal for the sole fact that it can really turn one's life up-side down. They're illegal to prevent that from happening. It's best to stop harmful drug uses/addiction right off the bat. If America were to legalize every single drug, what would be left of this nation? Some people can take their drugs in moderation, but it is never a promise. So it is best to prevent the issue before it even happens.

• No Man Is An Island

What adults do to themselves is hardly any of my business, but thinking that drug use only effects the user is ignorant and absurd. You have no idea how many children are harmed and neglected due to the irresponsibility of parents with addiction. Legalization of marijuana is acceptable. No one will ever convince me that the legalization of meth is a good idea. Kids lives are ruined every single day due to this stuff.

• Think about the drug users that have children.

The reason I say this is to inform all the pot heads that want to legalize drugs, to think about the children that have to deal with the mass abuse that is put upon them for being in the way of a crack head and their next fix. It is not their fault that they have to endure the punishment of drugs you all that said yes favor. Grow up and take a stand for what you know is right. Don't let the drug enhancement overwhelm America. Be the bigger person and stand up for those children that cannot.
    Thank you all for reading my statement and have a nice day. Drug FREE is the WAY to BE.

• Keep it Illegal

The reson we first illegalized most drugs, like cocaine, in 1914, was because of the massive number of fatilities recorded in 1912 from cocain use. If we legalize it this all will just restart and this will just put more drug users and gangs on the streets instead of in jail where they should be

yodog357 says2014-01-15T19:50:20.117
Don't do drugs Alex