• Education is vital and maybe the source for hope in the future.

Everyone needs education. At least the fundamental type which is Primary. People should not have to pay for education. If we didn't have education, we wouldn't be expressing our opinions in the first place. If we didn't have education, we wouldn't be able to even read what I just said. Not many people have a successful career in their lives, and if education is not free, they may not have the sufficient funds to help their children go to school. What this would mean is they may not get the skills they need for their future to find a job or even hope. Many people in Africa and other places which does not provide free education as a law, when asked, wished they had education. Not all countries have a good economy. If everyone had free education, maybe the world would be a better place...

• Education for Free

Education is vital for the survival of one's academic, social, and, if need be, a political career. Education requires a substantial amount of money, yet, one must not make it exclusive, so that the entire world may move at the same pace, so that problems like world poverty, or world hunger, is solved. Otherwise, the world would essentially go nowhere, unable to make its geniuses work harder. In 50 years, global warming will get worse, and in 20, the world will be so polluted that one must not step outside the streets without proper portable ventilation! Whereas, if free education let rise the many potential geniuses in the world, then all of these problems may be solved. At least, with more minds, you stand a chance against the main obstacles festering the world today.

• Education is important

Yes, education should be free for all of the reasons mentioned by everyone else in this topic. It is vital that everybody should be offered an opportunity to go to school, and knowledge is just the thing people need to be able to get on in life. If education is free, a lot of talented and promising people will be born, and these people can contribute to make the world a better place.
    Actually there are a lot of schools that are offering 100% scholarships to students who deserve them. There are also lots of teachers and graduates who volunteer to go to places that are remote and suffer from poverty to teach the people there for free.
    However, I'm in two minds about this. Education should be free, yes, but only to an extent, maybe until the end of high school. Then people can have basic knowledge and skills to work. If people want to continue to receive higher education in colleges and universities they have to afford the fees.

• High school shouldn’t be free for everyone

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1The government should make this Free for everyone so that they will be able to Use that money for other things like groceries and activities outside of school this will help the families so that the taxes would not affect them at all ”Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use the change the world” (Nelson Mandela) This shows that what education we take depends on our strength in that education.

• Our country depends on education so shouldn't it be free?

We run on a democracy so people must be educated. If that what our country made plans to do shouldn't everyone have a chance to achieve the highest level of schooling they deserve without the chance that their financial situation will influence what they get. Jobs these days depend not on how much you know but where you got your degree in college

• Education leads to economy.

Right now, our ethical system should focus on the future of our children. It may affect our life in the present but we should care about our country's future. The education of each and every child produces a more productive adult, someone that will contribute to the development of the country. Each and every idea of each and every citizen will be put into play.

• We need it

In his book The Price of Civilization, Jeffrey Sachs argues that the cost of making all public higher education free in America would be between fifteen and thirty billion dollars. While this may sound like a large sum, it could actually save money. First of all, the government is currently spending billions of dollars on for-profit schools and other colleges and universities that have very low graduation rates. In fact, what is going on in the state of California is that as students get priced out of the University of California, they either drop out or go to community colleges. Meanwhile as community colleges are defunded, they are forced to cut their enrollments and raise their fees, and the result is that students end up going to high-cost for-profit schools that have a very low graduate rate. In other words, in the current system, everyone pays more, and we produce fewer graduates.

Currently, only 30% of Americans who start college or university end up graduating, and this represents a huge waste of time and money. If students did not have to work while in school, the graduation rate would improve drastically, and students at universities could graduate in four years instead of six or more years. In fact, the biggest reason why students drop out of higher education is that they cannot afford the high cost of tuition.

Not only is higher education seen as a key to economic advancement, but if all 18-24 year olds were in college, we would reduce the unemployment rate by 2 million people, and fewer people would be in need of governmental assistance. Moreover, a federal program to fund higher education would relieve states of having to fund these institutions, which would free up money for other needed services.

While the US has a free K-12 public education, its failure to fund higher education means that America’s economy is unable to compete with other developed nations that have free universities. Furthermore, by removing the need for students to go into debt, the government would allow graduates to be more productive, and they would have more money to spend, which in turn would act as a stimulus for the economy.

Of course, there are reasons beyond economics to provide free higher education. Not only do we need a more educated workforce, but we also need more educated citizens. It is also important to point out that people with higher education degrees report a higher level of health and happiness. In fact, societies with a high rate of degree attainment have lower crime rates and higher rates of social welfare.

While President Obama has endorsed the need for the U.S. to increase the number of citizens with higher education degrees, he has done very little to support this process. Not only do we need to push our politicians to support free universal higher education, but we have to show the voting populace that a federal program would help to alleviate the incredible expense education

• Education is Necessary

Everyone should have the right to education no matter what gender. It doesn't make sense that in some parts of the world only men have the right, not women just because of they're gender. There is no point of living if others get more right than you because of your sex. They're are many growing places but not enough and not quickly. Women and men are be created equal and nothing shiuld chavnge that.

• Do not make us pay!

If we had to pay than those who could become teachers wont and than NOBODY could be taught. Those who would become doctors wouln't.
    That could lead to us dieing out! All of mankind would be gone! That is why we need school for free, and those who argue against me noe

• Do not make us pay!

• Be free to everyone?

If its free to everyone , who would pay for all the expenses , who would support all the money needed for maintenance , labours , etc for the infinite amount of people at a learning age?
    In exception if its a country with a strong government and economies , than if it can make education be free to everyone , why not , but is it possible?

• Job is importent

Cost per student is $80,000 for a four year program if there parents do not have it is there problem , why should the government make the education free to everyone? Bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad

• Free Education really?

A lot of people think that higher education shouldn't cost them personally. I disagree with that not only because I don't think it should be "free" for anyone but also if the government decides that everyone should get higher education then it changes from something valuable to something not so valuable. It should take some personal sacrifice including financial. I guess a liberal point of view would be that everyone deserves a fair shot and it starts with education. The wealthy live off the backs of everyone else so they have a responsibility to provide an education at the least because the lower and middle classes have provided them with their riches. Furthermore, it should be a right of the people to have a higher education because how else will the poor succeed? A conservative view might be that everyone should make their own way. We shouldn't rely on the government for anything except what is stated in the Constitution. Individual ruggedness is what made this country strong and giving away "free" stuff from the government is a way in which slaves are made. If we count on the government for everything and allow the government to have their hands in everything we do, eventually "we the people" becomes "we the government" turning our republic into a fascist or communist dictatorship.

The original intent of getting an education from my perspective was to get a leg up; to have an economic advantage and become a rare commodity thereby being more valuable and making more money. If educated people become a dime a dozen then where is the value in spending all the time and effort to earn a degree? I may as well forget it and go back to Portland to be an Ironworker again. It's in my comfort zone and I can make a lot of money. If education becomes free for everyone where's the value? Another thing is that I heard somewhere, I can't remember where but it goes like this; if you took all the money away from everyone and gave each person a million dollars, a couple of years later the ones that were wealthy before hand would be wealthy again and the one's that were not wealthy before would be broke again. The point is that after the government spends millions upon millions to get the program started, it is no doubt to me that the people getting degrees would not increase because it is free. The people that are going to college now are the ones that want to go and the people that are not in school are not in school because they do not want to be in school. If someone wants something they will do it, that's all.

• Education doesn't mean spending

Elementary should be provided, by then we all have basic skills; Math, Literacy, and etc. Middle and High school are questionable. However, I know that at the point any person can read a book on their own they can teach themselves anything. With self will you can teach yourself to do Algebra, Geometry, Stats, Coding, Cryptography, Art, Music, and Science. Once we are able to read we can do anything.

Another point to add... Is that if College is free, degrees will just be your High School Diploma

• By using the word "free" I expect you mean this is a question regarding economics, and someone else is paying!

Is it a fantastic ideal? Yes. Is it practical? No. Who foots the bill? That's the only question that needs to be asked to submarine this topic. Who foots the bill? "All" education cannot be free, because that implies an infinite amount of funds for an infinite number of people to be infinitely educated. Even without the "All"... Should "basic" education be free? It generally already is, but of questionable quality... Should "university" be free? Well now there's a real question. Is it tenable? Who foots the bill?

Let me tell you a story, once upon a time, children learned from their families. Not just their one (1) family, but the clan, or the tribe, or the community, or the neighborhood. Education was free because the child had enough resources floating freely in his community that he could learn by experience or be instructed by his elders. And that was, gloriously, enough, because the world was simple and survival itself was a pleasure.

Nowadays, there are two problems with this system. 1) Everyone is occupied. The advent of private property, innocuous at first, has forced everyone to go to work. Very few families have time to home school their children any more, so they have to pay someone else to do it. 2) Information is now too advanced to be taught by simple means; alternatively stated, it is not possible for a child to get a modern education from peers in his community. The child requires formal education, of some sort, and that requires expenditure.

So, who foots the bill? Someone has to pay for it. Even if you devise a financial model that is up to the task (I'm guessing some highly genetically homogeneous form of socialism- high taxation, high social participation) and create a culture which understands the virtue of education for its own ends, rather than as a stepping stone for economic gain, you then have the question of when to cut it off? One degree? Two? How much education is enough? How do you treat abusers? Are smarter, more promising children eligible for more? Give me a proposition. How would this really work?

• Abuse of Resources

Although I do believe that education through high school should be free I feel I should adhere to the specific discussion point. The topic is "Should all education be free to everyone" and I say no. I believe specialized education should be reserved only to those who can afford it. Now I say this because to many, myself included, time is money. Now I am of the firm belief that those who posses great knowledge are active with it. I don't know of many that went to medical school only to sit around on facebook after completing their education. I am sure there are some that isn't what I am arguing.

But let me bring this argument a direction I can support. I am a college student at a prestigious flight school. My piers are people that will be building and flying planes, running airports, working for safety organizations and other things I don't know if I should discuss online. Now as a flight student there are several expenses to my training such as aircraft usage, fuel cost, maintainable, insurance, etc.

A similar argument can be made for our engineering students, the workshops and labs they are a part of utilize expensive equipment that has high maintenance costs and high operating costs.

I realize now that my whole argument revolves around the idea that very few things in this world are free. Even education that we currently have in America is not free. Teacher's salaries and school operating costs come out of taxpayer dollars. To suggest free education would be to suggest that people volunteer their time to teach in an open space that receives no maintenance and has no overhead costs of any kind. And as that education would be worth what you pay for it, I feel I have no other option but to say, "No, not all education should be free."

Posted by: J4J
  • Education is important

• It won't help

I completely understand both arguments believe me and at first I said college should be free but after thinking about it I think it shouldn't. If its free people will take the whole process of going as a joke. For example I knew a kid who dropped out of school simply because he didn't care about it. But if he paid for going then he probably would've showed up more. Paying for college brings the value to it and those who work hard and go to college are the people who are going to be somebody one day.

• College shouldn't be free for everyone, there should be free options available, but not everything should be free.

If all college was free, the money would still need to come from somewhere, and that would be out of our tax dollars. This means that people who didn't have kids in college would still be paying for it. These would be poor people who don't have enough extra money and it will be a strain on them to pay for another persons college.
    Second, there wouldn't necessarily be enough money from the state to fund the same programs that they have now, making it useless to have free college anyways. It would ruin the point of college.

• Knowledge is power

The people from the third world will be able to flourish and become educated. Indeed, by learning assets, these people are able to understand the reason behind their poorness and will be able to stand up for themselves. They need to be manipulated by false thoughts that we implement in their heads at birth and stay poor all their lives. Who will do the labour work? Who will pick up YOUR litter
    ? Huh?!? WHO?!?! If not them, WHO?!?! Thank you... JK I'm 12 and a troller. Come subscribe to to my youtube channel @yomama6969