Should all nuts be banned from schools due to allergies?

• I have the allergy

In my school there was a peanut free table in the cafeteria I would sit at everyday and feel safe at. That did not require the whole school to get rid of peanuts. One place that nuts and peanuts were not allowed at all was in my classroom. I was in there so much that having the allergen in a contained space that I was constantly in was very unsafe because of the severity of my allergy. This only required my one room to not eat peanuts and nuts not the whole school. So in that case the school banned the allergens from my room, but banning it from the rest of the school without kids with allergies in their class was pointless and would only cause argument.

• Nutella is bae

Nutella is good and taste good and looks good and is good as s so. S s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s es s s s. S s as s w w w. W as. Wow w. Nutella is bae

• Practise life skills

Banning is a band aid approach. No one is dying from going into anaphylactic shock by smelling nuts. Educating children from a young age the seriousness of allergies is important. More importantly being exposed to the situation daily and learning life long skills on how to wash hands, clean up surfaces, not share food and know what can happen and how they should respond to allergic reactions far outward a parents fear and the misguided belief that they will Die if nuts aren't banned. Trying to enforce and monitor a nut free zone is also not intently possible. Are teachers going to search kids? Read every packing label and ensure all food had not earlier come into contact with nuts? It's impossible. Teach kids the dangers, enforce the skills so they learn how not to affect others.

• Schools should not ban anything they cannot enforce.

There is a nut ban at my kid's school - all nuts. All parents are made aware of the policy, yet I know a few who disregard it because their kids like almonds and peanut butter sandwiches. They do not feel that the majority should have to cater to the minority. There are older kids who walk to school themselves and stop at the supermarket on the way. They buy Snickers and other items that definitely contain nuts so it's clear they don't check the ingredients or even care. This is why I feel that banning nuts is pointless. In order to enforce the ban, the school would have to inspect the contents of every child's lunch box, backpack and pockets before they entered the school ground. There are 750 students at my kid's school - not likely to happen. No parent of a child with severe allergies should ever rely on the school community to protect them - all it takes is non compliance from a few and it could cost their child their life. If I had a child with life threatening allergies, I would definitely educate them at home.

• This is the exception not the rule

Peanuts are not nuts, they are beans. Peanut allergies are not like other food allergies. Allergic reactions to peanuts can result from simply touching items with peanut residue on them. The symptoms of an allergic reaction to peanuts is worse also than other allergies. Generally, I would think that nuts are okay. I would fully support peanuts ban from schools, but not all nuts.

• No, it should not.

Nuts are a healthy snack that most kids are able to enjoy. It is important to define what does and does not have nuts in it for those with allergies, but it should not be taken out of school all together. As long as processings and labeling of the nuts are done right students should be ok with it in the school.

• Practise life skills

• How many foods are we going to ban?

If you are going to ban peanuts, then get ready to ban seafood and citrus fruits too. People have serious allergies to those two items. Let's say all 3 of those foods are banned. Do you realize how many foods you just banned?

I think schools are settling themselves up for big lawsuits because they are making promises they can't keep. This could be deadly for the most sensitive students.

• No, no, no!

Nuts are a healthy snack food for the majority and if those consuming nuts are taught to eat in a designated area and wipe down a table and wash their hands after eating, why should there be a problem. Schools can not guarantee a nut free environment on a school excursion, so why not teach children how to consume nuts safely around others and what to look for in those who have allergies so help can be given ASAP should the need arise. Children with allergies need to learn to live in the real world. There are times when a grandparent or family member may make the lunches and not be aware, should that child be hungry at school, no, the child with allergies needs to take responsibility and not share food. A ban for very young children may be helpful but not upper primary and high school, trying to ban can not be realistically policed and offers a false sense of security. Teach those with allergies what steps they need to stay safe. Teach those without allergies to be respectful but don't take healthy food off the menu!

• No, no, no!

• Nutella sandwhich bro

Nutella Nutella Nutella Nutella Nutella Nutella Nutella s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s s ms as mama a s. S s s s s s s s s a a a a a taste sooooo good with bread

• Nutella is bae