Should all prime ministers pay back the same amount in expenses to British taxpayers?

• Yes they should.

All prime ministers should pay back the same amount in expenses to the British taxpayers. The prime ministers are the ones who are using the taxpayer money, so if they are accruing expenses, then they should pay it back to the tax payers. This is the right thing to do.

• Expenses Can Vary

I do not believe that all prime ministers should pay back the same amount of expenses to British taxpayers. I believe each stint is very different from the one before, therefore the expenses can vary drastically depending on what is going on in the world and what is going on in Britain.

• No, they use resources fairly.

No, not all prime ministers should pay back the same amount in expenses to British taxpayers, because it is fair to have some costs that are associated with running the office of prime minister for the public good. It would be a nice symbolic gesture if a prime minister could pay the tax payers back, but not all politicians are rich, and that should not be a requirement to hold the office. It is also fair that they use some public funds to run their very high-profile political office, which is for the public good, after all.

• It Should Be Based On How Good the Year Was

I will be honest and say I do not know how Britain refunds peoples taxes at the start of each year. I would think a couple things would come into play here, and that is how much money each taxpayer gets back that year. First it would depend on how much money people made that year and how much they paid in taxes. The second one is how well the government did in not overspending on the budget. If they had an extra surplus that year, then maybe they should give all the taxpayers a little more money that year.

• No, they are employees.

No, not all prime ministers should pay back the same amount in expenses to British taxpayers, because it would limit who could become Prime Minister if the person had to be able to afford to work for free. If the prime minister spends in an excessive way, he or she should have to pay it back, but otherwise, they are a hired employee who is just doing their job.