• Liberty, truth, and justice for ALL.

Of course. Same sex couples have the same rights as opposite sex couples. Gays have rights. Religion or politics is not the right to violate someone's rights. No one is redifining marriage. No one will marry there dog. The fact that you do not pay a dowry means that marriage has already been redifined anyway. Marriage is about love, not chromosomes.

• If it really is Constitutional fairness, yes.

The funny thing is, a few months ago I would have been in favor of state decisions on this, my political beliefs being what they are. But with all the recent state rulings that, simply put, say it's against the Constitution of the nation as a whole, well, something must be up there. If the Constitution mandates all governments beneath it offer all citizens equal treatment, then yes, all state governments ought to offer marriage to anyone who reasonably requests it.

• It is a human right.

People deserve to be able to participate in the basic human institution of marriage no matter what their gender is. They also shouldn't have to suffer from not having the same rights across state borders. Gays and lesbians shouldn't have to change their lives just because they move to a new state. Their rights shouldn't change either.

• It's a free country

This is America - we should be past the discrimination already and allow same sex marriage. I've read many of the arguments opponents raise to this issue (procreation, mothering/fathering, etc.), but none of it really seems like reasonable counterarguments to me. This isn't a procreation issue, but a social justice issue; people can't tell someone who has an unchangeable orientation that they have to change or never be married, that's horrible - it's horrible because people are forcing someone to live the way they want them to live before providing them with what they desperately want, and that's love. That cannot be dangled in front of someone while telling them they have to change something about themselves that they can't change, or else never have it.

• Yes of course.

Even though all states allow it now, I will still share my opinion because homophobia annoys the hell out of me. Yes, in the Bible, they say that homosexuality is a sin. But last time I checked anger and greed are sins as well and they aren't illegal. If gay marriage bothers you that much, than don't get married to someone of the same gender. It's not your choice to decide who somebody else marries. It's a right that everyone should have. Okay I'm done. You can angrily comment now.

• Not everyone is christian!!!!!

OK, this post was not created to offend anyone. Just think about that for a sec. IF I OFFEND YOU, IT IS NOT INTENTIONAL.

OK, now I'm plain confused. People like America because of the freedoms. AMENDMENT ONE SAYS ALL AMERICAN CITIZENS HAVE FREEDOM OF RELIGION. So, please, Christians who say crap like "God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve" and "The Bible forbids it," STOP! Not EVERYONE is Christian! Not everyone reads the Bible! I'm going on a limb here and assuming most gays aren't Christian, so the Bible does not apply to them! No one says you have to be gay. Freedom of religion, people! If YOU don't like it, that's fine! Complain about it over dinner or something. But STOP trying to get in the way of people's happiness!

Also, gays have their rights! It's like not liking someone because they're black, or because they're female! I thought America was better than that. They love each other, and that should be OK! No one wants someone controlling their lives, especially their love lives. Being gay is not DISGUSTING, or REVOLTING. It is perfectly FINE!

Also, the fact that we even HAVE to debate this is sad. Did we learn nothing from the fifteenth or nineteenth amendments?

I support gay marriage, and I will support it until the day I die.

• You can't choose.

As a 14 year old straight male, I don't remember ever choosing to be straight. I never decided " Hey, I want to like girls." So why do some people choose to believe that this is what being gay is like. When you meet someone you love, regardless of sexual preference and/or gender identity, you should be able to express that love openly, the same way everyone else does.

• Yes, it should be legal in all of the U.S.

Yes, all states should allow same-sex marriage. It's like when they had miscegenation laws to try to keep people from getting married to someone of a different race. The same states (or most) that tried to hold out against that are the same ones trying to hold out on same-sex marriage. Religious reasons and a bunch of other nonsense reasons were given for both, but at the end of the day, it's all about discrimination.

• Yes They Should

I believe all states should allow same-sex marriages because all states are now forced to recognize same-sex marriages. I think the United States would be far better off if the people in this country realized that it is not okay to withhold rights from people. You would have thought we would have already figured this out, but apparently not.

• Yes, we need to legalize this across the board.

Yes, all states need to allow same-sex marriage. The world has changed. The time has come to put away prejudice and adapt as needed. I do not see where the state has the right to not allow same-sex marriages. The state should not be that involved in such a personal matter to begin with.

• Good ol family values

What ever happened to good ol family values?! Marriage is not a right because there is not amendmant for it. Do you know how much this will also cost? Check my debates to find out the exact number! Wtf be gay anyway? You are not born that way! Check my debates again. This is just a dumb rebellious movement!

• Let the states decide

While I am in favor of letting people decide their private life affairs, this is not something that should be decided by the federal government, let public policies shift economic output and based on the downturn or upturn of the economy for public policies to change accordingly. Is not the job of the government to go that far. Let each state decide what they view as marriage ,a bond between two individuals is their own business. However there is credit to both sides.
    Acknolweding heterosexual marriage, is of course for reproduction, homo sexual marriage adds nothing to the future cultural capital.
    On the other side, evolution has taken a back drop and is better to have quality individuals than many, and a foster child or through technology a gay couple may have/adopt a child. This is a complicated issue which should be left for the states to decide not for a government which is already oppressive as it is.

Posted by: N711
  • God made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve

First off, same sex marrige?? Matrimony was made for man and woman alone, not man and man or woman and woman. We all know its a sin, its like legalizing adultry and theft. I don't think there should be same sex marrige but I also respect gay people. We should all treat eachother equally, but come on. Same sex marrige? If kids see that they'll think its okay and its not. Look down at your gender. You're made to be with the opposite gender.

• God meant for man and woman

First off, same sex marrige?? Matrimony was made for man and woman alone, not man and man or woman and woman. We all know its a sin, its like legalizing adultry and theft. I don't think there should be same sex marrige but I also respect gay people. We should all treat eachother equally, but come on. Same sex marrige? If kids see that they'll think its okay and its not. Look down at your gender. You're made to be with the opposite gender. Also that's gay/liesbian.

• Come to think of it, let's put it this way.

I do support the notion of 'Truth, liberty, and justice for all', but because of the fact that that is such a broad statement and there are instances where such a notion can create negative consequences, there's no true interpretation, along with the fact that even though I do support same-sex marriage, I feel that it really is up to the states to decide, and if the majority of the state votes against, well, suck it up and move to a state that legalized it if you wish.

• Does anybody have anything better to do

This topic will not benefit the economy or any other major part of our country. We should all focus on more important things like our nation's debt and healthcare. I think it will be of greater value to this nation. Its very strict and harsh but to fool around with this stuff at this time is unnecessary.

• No, all states should not allow same-sex marriage

The citizens of each state should be able to decide whether or not they want to allow same-sex marriages in their state. It should not be decreed from the federal government and forced on people. Many people are in favor of same-sex marriages and many are opposed. Let each state's citizens decide what is best for their state.