Should all students be required to participate in community service?

• We should have to do community service.

I agree that everyone should do community service because they want to, but it also could help us find our places in the world. Community services aren't just for the less fortunate, they can be helping at a nursing home or animal shelter. When we do community services, we learn strengths, weaknesses, and possible career paths. When I get to college, I want to be that one person who has everything they want to do in their future planned out so they have guaranteed success. I do community services and its helped me learn about me. Who wouldn't want to know that. I know most of it from doing services. You don't just help others, you help yourself too.

• No, community service should not be a requirement for students.

It would be good for all students to be encouraged to be involved in their communities and caring for those less fortunate than they are. However, this is something they may already be involved in through their parents or houses of worship. Putting additional pressure on school aged children, in addition to all they already have to do, from school to homework to possible jobs, puts added pressure on them and may make them resent an additional time-consuming activity. While we should all participate in acts of charity, these acts should ideally come from the heart, not from being required to do them.

• Community Service Should Be Voluntary

Despite good intentions, any extra curricular activity in school should be entirely voluntary. Community service should come from a place of generosity or empathy. It should not come from a place of involuntary servitude by children. Students should not be any more compelled to perform community service simply because of their age.

lailadag says2016-11-27T17:24:41.903
Community Service is important for many reasons. Taking part and volunteering teaches compassion and understanding. One of my favorite things about community service is that there are many opportunities and choices right in your very school. You can volunteer for something you really believe and have an interest in, and can volunteer as much or as little as you'd like or have time for.
A few years ago I volunteered for a nearby animal shelter. At first I didn't know many people there and wasn't very enthusiastic. Later, as I got to know the animals and staff members I learned to enjoy and relish my time there. It was a very rewarding experience and I got to do many things I wouldn't of had an opportunity to do otherwise.
Sometimes when I'd come in to volunteer I would see other kids taking part. Most of them were volunteering because they needed service hours for school. These kids sometimes just sat around waiting for their time to pass and not enjoying the experiences that the shelter had to offer. Other students I saw there even after they had completed their hours for school. They had enjoyed their experience and wanted to do more for the shelter.
Not only is community service fun and rewarding, it also looks great on a resume or college application. Sometimes community service is even required for high school graduation. Last year in my Arabic class my teacher often talked about community service and making a difference. One of papers we had to write was about if we thought requiring students at a university to complete 75 hours of community service was a good idea. I agreed with it and wrote ”As far as 75 hours go, I don't think that is too much as long as you give the students enough time to complete it. As well as allow them to pick from a variety of locations for their service.” I felt that it was a good idea not just for the sake of a well-rounded individual but also because I feel that everyone should give back.
As I move through life I think I will always be involved in community service. Not just because I think it is important but because it is something I enjoy and look forward to. I love bringing joy and through community service I feel I can accomplish that. I hope that this article inspires you to go out in your community and make a difference. I hope I have encouraged you to volunteer your time.