Should all U.S. states legally recognize same-sex marriages?

• Legal issue, not morality issue

As a law student, I'm baffled at the arguments people use to defend their points of view in regards to same sex marriage. Yes, we get it that the bible States otherwise. However, the main issue still remains - do we make laws in our country based on the bible or do we make them based on the constitution? Believe me, if we lived in a nation that made laws based on the bible, everyone would be screwed, not just gays and lesbians. People would be being thrown in prison for adultery, divorce, etc, you name it. It would invade what we, as American's, pride ourselves on every day - freedom. If we used the bible to govern our lives, the civil liberties we enjoy daily would be stripped away. It's funny how people want laws to facilitate only particular PARTS of the bible that suit their prejudice, rather than all parts of the Bible. You can't have it both ways - where we, as a country, enjoy freedom and protection under the law, but then decide we want to use the bible every once in a while to hate on others we find different. It's all or nothing. Yes, perhaps the bible mentions homosexuality in a couple obscure passages. But that argument is completely irrelevant and has no place in a logical debate about government. This is not a "moral" issue - it is a legal one. And if you ask me, falling in love is never immoral; judging those who do is.

• DUH Its OK

This is scary how much the discrimination of same sex couples are receiving. It reminds me of the same discrimination given out in the 60's-70's about interracial couples. It is just ridiculous. Let people make their own life choices. This law does not going to hurt anyone besides people who are told who you can and can't marry.

• Due Process Clause, Equal Protection Clause, and Separation of Church and State

According to all of the clauses above it is unconstitutional to have same-sex marriage illegal. It's also illegal to pass laws like the one allowing discrimination in the name of religion in Arizona. People are people, we all have our rights, no matter what. I thought we proved that with the Civil Rights Movement.

• Gay marriage should be legal.

It should be legal in all states! God cannot punish a gay man or women for loving the same sex. Gays should be allowed to share feelings and have children, and love each other like everybody else. It says in the commandment "all people are created equal" taking away gay marriage isn't being fair, nor equal. So YES gay marriage should be legal in all states!!!!!!!!!!

• Same sex marriage should be legal.

First of all, the Bible is not a legal document. It does not have the authority to determine the laws in our nation. America has a secular government. WE ARE NOT A CHRISTIAN NATURE. Besides the lack of legal standing, it is only fair to enforce marriage equality. Straight people have no right to demean and discourage something that is unable to be changed. When our constitution says that people are fair and equal, they mean everyone. Committed gay couples should CERTAINLY be able to marry. :)

• I CAN NOT WAIT until this issue is settled NATIONWIDE!

We have the shady politicians of the 1990's and early 2000's to thank for the legal mess that we are in now. They were well aware that younger Americans were leaning towards more liberal ideas, including marriage equality. That is why they went through the hassle of creating and backing all the state level constitutional amendments over the past couple decades. They still had the vote of the more powerful older generations on their side. And they knew that even once public opinion began to shift, it would take a lot of work to get these amendments reversed. These politician will go down in history, but NOT in a good way! Their names will forever be tarnished by their bigotry and unjust acts.
    Now that it is our turn to start making decisions about the future of our country we have to jump through all these legal hoops to undo the tangled mess that they created for us. It is absurd!
    Equality is now ahead in public opinion and EQUALITY will prevail!
    I just wish that a bunch of bigots would not have been permitted to use their political power and influence to control the personal lives of others for such a long time.
    MIND YOUR BUSINESS! LOOK FOR YOUR OWN HAPPINESS, BUT DO NOT TRY TO DEFINE --OR LIMIT-- THE HAPPINESS OF OTHERS!
    SHAME ON GW BUSH, THE REPUBLIC PARTY IN GENERAL, and all others who have used their power and influence to place limits on the rights of others! And SHAME on those who hide behind the bible in order to promote their own hatred and intolerance.

This country was built on a foundation of human rights (although rights have generally only been granted when it has been convenient to those in power)... And on the principle of separation of church and state.... So don't come thumping your bible at me when what we are discussing is a LEGAL issue, not whether the issue is moral or not!

Same-sex marriage should be legal in all states. ALL Americans have the right to the pursuit of happiness, regardless of popular vote or public opinion!

• Yes for Gays.

Love is love. Gay and straight couples should have equal status in marriage and same-sex couples should be allowed to marry in all states, not just the Democrat ones. It's not the state's choice, and all the biblical references are irrelevant, the church and state are separate and the church shouldn't have a part in deciding this. And for people who say that the bible says homosexuality is bad, then great. It really doesn't matter what some made up book says. The state is separated from the church, for reasons exactly like this

• Times have changed.

We are all people, we all interact, we are all different. Love has no gender. Straight or gay, man or woman, marriage is a special bond that should not have a strict boundary. I still don't understand why gay people are discriminated against. We are all people and should be able to marry whoever we want. It will not be the demise of this country, it will only unify nations and is the last piece to civil rights. It's 2013 lets go folks.

• Love is love.

I think that it should be legalized. Let people marry whom ever they want just to create a family and grow happy together.

Discrimination and hate on the same sex marriage is straight up disappointing. This economy and society is wretched and hurtful. There ate probably more deaths of BLG and misunderstood teens and adults, than anywhere else. I personally know a handful of gays, bisexuals, and lesbians. They are like everyone else, living life and enjoying the little things. I am bisexual, my family hates and is completely against the idea of same sex marriage. I have dated the same gender and the opposite, is there much of a difference, yeah somewhat. But does it change who I am towards others, such as my friends? No. I have lost many when I told people I was who I am now and I lost a handful of people I trusted. Friends come and go, that's what I learned out of the experience. Let GLB live their life to the fullest, and let them marry who they want.

• It's just fair.

Being gay doesn't hurt anyone so why stop it? God loves everyone! I know a lot of Christians who are gay so what's the big deal? If you don't want to look at a guy and a guy kiss, then close your eyes! If you don't want to see a girl and a girl get married then don't attend the wedding!

• ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

The bible says that marriage is meant to be for a man and a woman. Not a man and a man, or a woman and a woman. People are getting weirder and weirder these days. I'm all for happiness, but the people who see the gay couples are not happy to see them. Plus, people of the same sex get "married" just to take advantage of a lower cost of housing, tax breaks, and other bonuses of being married.

• The Government should not have a say

If two people of the same gender want to live together, that is fine. However they shouldn't call it a marriage because the Bible says that marriage is between a man and a woman. To force the pastors to marry the homosexuals would violate their religious beliefs. And the first amendment says that congress should not make laws violating freedom of religion. I have no problem with two homosexuals wanting to live together, but the government should not force the churches to practice it.

• "Marriage equality" includes consentual plural marriages

Why is same sex marriage allowed, but a consensual plural marriage not? If its unfair to ban SSM, it is equal unfair to ban plural marriage. Polygamy is a valid form of marriage throughout time and place. SSM cannot make the same claim. As long as the parties to the marriage are consenting adults, why shouldn't their marriages be recognized. Fair is fair. What's good for the goose, is good for the gander.

• Hell no they shouldn't

If God wanted same sex marriages babies would be made differently, not man and woman and woman, or man and man. Even so this is not love just filthy and unclean. Watch our society fall apart sit back just watch it fall apart, watch the military budget go down lose wars to 3rd world countries. Gay marriage is the start later no guns 2nd amendment won't do any good, already illegal in NYC and DC. Not the point but I think gay marriage should be legalized by state, not call an executive order and legalized right there.

• It's against Christianity

The bible clearly stats marriage is between a man and femal and for them to pass a law for gay marriage to be legal in all 50 states would completely crash the first amendment (freedom of religion). Children are made from a male and femal. Not by the same sex. Allowing gay marriage in all states would let children think it's okay and in time turn more and more people. You have to have male and femal if you want to keep populating and keep all the wheels turning. I am a Christan and I go by what the bible says. Of course it says you shall not judge but god is perfect and is telling us to call this a sin so we shall. We can't disobey the God who has done everything for us.

• Growing Up in an Orthodox Catholic family.

Growing up as a child, which i'm still not even out of my teens yet, My family was strict on me being friends with gay people or lesbian people. I was always told that "These people are corrupt and that Satan has them wrapped around his finger and they will burn." Not so true. Although it is a sin, how big of a sin is this? Not so sure on that. I never read the bible growing up, i just shut up and listened to my family, who are Orthodox Catholics. If i had told anyone in my family i was Gay, that would have been a wrap. Id be all alone and on my own. Now in this day and time, everyone is saying they are "gay" or "lesbian". Even kids who are only 13 years old already thinking they have a clue of what they are saying. NOT. The impact this Gay and Lesbian marriage and sexual preference has had on this world is astounding.

• I was unsure

But after finding this site for a paper I had to write for an ethics class, I am sure now. I have experimented with same sex before when I was younger, but I am also a Christian. Yes, I have sinned, and I have asked God for forgiveness for all the horrible things I have done in my youth. It is unnatural in most all other animal species. Us humans are so clever, that the young generation have convinced themselves that this is the new way. I don't think the animals of the world are going to start acting on this new trend.

• I was unsure

• Men cant have babies with men and same for women.

Even animals know better. Man we are so edumacated and advanced. But I guess people have no more moral principals. I dont care how much people try and make it seem like its ok, people will always feel weird being around two people of the same sex holding hands or kissing let alone doing sticking things in eachother. Why? Because somewhere deep down we know its wrong.