• Of Course.

This country was built under Christian beliefs and its our obligation to help all christians in trouble.

No weapon formed against me shall prosper!

• Why would we not??

How would you feel if every time you went to church, you knew that at any moment everyone could die? Yes, Egypt is mostly muslim. Why is that any reason NOT to help the ones there that ARE'NT muslim?? The Bible tells us to protect fellow Christians and help them!!! Part of our tax dollars are funding stupid people and stupid countries who hate Christians and want them all dead. If we are a God centered people, then why would we do this? Honestly, i have never heard a really good argument for this. We pay the middle east to fight for us, then they turn around and fight us! They know we are Christians and if they cant kill us they will start in their own country. THESE PEOPLE NEED HELP. What Christian wouldn't want to?

• Why would we not??

• U.S.A Forever and ever

OK, first of all whoever thinks that we should not help/save the Christians in Egypt them, WHY THE HECK ARE YOU IN THIS COUNTRY?! I mean really?! We have civil rights, we have protected religions, opinions, etc etc. Not only that but this country was made to help, serve protect and obey ANYONE WHO WANTS OR DESERVES IT. I mean, were already in one heck of a election, we don't need more turmoil, we don't, were gonna have a bad enough president as it is. So at least Want to help, right? Just sayin'.

• It is murder!!!!!

When they kill someone in Egypt just for being a Christian it is murder. So if you say that it's ok that we shouldn't do anything than your just as bad as people who are doing the killing.
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    ..
    .
    .

.
    .

• Of course we should support!

I believe we should support the Christians, not because they are Christians, even though I am a Christian myself, but because they have a right to live, A right to life. I am blessed not to be in a situation like the one Egyptian Christians are in right now. I wish I could bless the persecuted Christians in Egypt and many other countries. I believe persecution is inhumane. You are killing innocent people who have not wronged you in any way. I strongly dislike the Muslim religion. But just because I feel that ways towards them, doesn't mean I will persecute them by killing them or even abusing them emotionally. If I could, I would fly out to Egypt right this very second and try and get as many Christians out of Egypt as I possibly can! I wish to protect the persecuted people, no matter what the religion...

• Do the right thing?

As a Egyptian Copt I'm proud that my people have always showed love to everyone around them be they Muslim, Christian or whatever! We are oppressed in work, in life, in politics! - all we want to do is live honestly and fairly in a country we were born and raised up in. We love Egypt as much as the Muslims. The Christians are the original descendants of the pharaohs - we welcomed the Muslims into our country! America has the power to help a minority in need! Forget your own interests for a while and just think as a love for humanity. You have the power to stop the killing and the ethnic cleansing that will happen in Egypt due to the Muslim Brotherhood!
    And although we may not find justice served from the Muslim Brotherhood, or help from our friends abroad, we have the justice of God and heaven which is much greater to have!
    I pray for Egypt!

• What was the U.S. founded on?

Why did the pilgrims come to America in the first place? It was so that they would not be persecuted for their religion. America was founded to provide refuge for persecuted Christians. The U.S. stopped slavery in many other countries can they not stop persecution of Christians? It is the very foundation of America that we help the persecuted Church in Egypt.

• yes

NOW KEEP IN MIND I DO RECOGNIZE EGYPT IS A MUSLIM COUNTRY AND IT HAS ALL THE RIGHT TO BE. I do not wish to oppose the muslim doctrine in any Islamic country. AND I don't think we should help Christian Egyptians because they are Christian but because their rights are being violated THEIR HUMAN RIGHTS. No one should fear for their lives because they are not the same religion as the rest. I think the US shouldnt start problems with the Egyptian governemnt because after all It is a MUSLIM country and we cant fight them about that but come to an agreement to protect more their rights and create shelters to victims of crimes due to religious pesecution. AND AGAIN THIS IS NOT BECAUSE THEY ARE CHRISTIANS, THIS SHOULD BE DONE TO ANYONE IN THE WORLD THAT IS BEING PERSECUTED DUE TO THEIR RELIGION.

• Si es un deber

Como cristianos, tenemos el deber de ayudar a los cristianos y no cristianos de cualquier parte del mundo.
    Ayudar a los desvalidos, a los pobres y a los ninos.
    No entiendo como religiones llamadas cristianas son capaces de romper con familiares y amigos por no creer o llevar los preceptos de su iglesia, ser intolerantes en lo que los demas creen.

• Stop being an international policeman.

If the US really wanted to do this, they should have done it a long time ago. First of all, look at this double standard. We call for Christians to be saved in one part of the world but in places like Africa where Christians are persecuted and killed everyday, there is no mention of that in the media at all. The US cannot afford to be an international policeman anymore and should have stopped a long time ago. If those Christians really fear for their lives, they need to flee from there! Yes, it's harsh and people will argue for the freedom of religion but there is no such thing there and likely never will be. Trying to put religion before life is illogical; you'll die and then no one will hear your message.

• The U.S. should not help Christians in Egypt, because this is a religious issue within the state of Egypt.

The U.S. should not intervene and help Christians in Egypt, because this will send a clear message to the rest of the world that the U.S. supports Christians as a religious group over others. The U.S. is not aiding the Tibetans in their struggle with China, and I believe this is no different, as it is religious persecution. In the past, the U.S. has supported Israeli Jews over Arab Muslims, and this has led only to friction. However, if there are human rights violations, this is a matter for the support of the U.N., and the U.S. should not intrude. Yet, the matters of human rights violations concerning religion should not be limited to the state of Egypt. The best course of action is to utilize diplomatic measures. Unfortunately, sanctions rarely work and they usually end up penalizing the population that it is meant to help. It must be an international effort, not the lone ranger U.S. approach.

Posted by: CarIoBIacken
  • I don't believe

Add FavoriteEmailPrintShow Others Like This
    Variations

There are many areas of this project where one can use his/her own creativity:

Laser mounting device. Make your own device to ensure that the laser beam precisely enters the gelatin at the pre-determined entry point.

Measuring scheme for the angle of refraction. Design your own scheme to measure the angle of refraction inside the gelatin. For example, where would you place a custom-made protractor to indicate the angle of refraction with respect to the normal?

Faster or slower gelatin. Attempt to change the index of refraction of the gelatin and create "faster" or "slower" media. For example, what happens when one dissolves various amounts of sugar in a well-mixed gelatin solution? Does the index of refraction of the gelatin change? Consequently, how does the speed of light in gelatin change? Note that one can represent the concentration of the sugar-gelatin solution by doing a one-step percent composition by mass calculation, which is basically the mass of the solute divided by the mass of the solution (mass of solute plus mass of solvent), multiplied by 100.

For example: Determine the percent composition by mass of a 100 g salt solution which contains 20 g salt
    Solution: 20 g NaCl / 100 g solution x 100 = 20% NaCl solution

From the table shown below, we see that the index of refraction for a 30% sugar solution is 1.38 while for an 80% solution, is 1.49. Can you verify a positively-correlated trend for sugar?

Other readily available materials. Calculate and verify the indices of refraction of other readily available materials like household liquids or ice. For example, ethyl alcohol has an index of refraction of 1.36, while ice's is 1.31. Can you verify this? A table of indices of refraction for commonly found materials is shown below. Note that extra caution must be taken if you are using a plastic container to hold the liquid as the container itself serves as an interface between the laser and the media. Please think about ways to minimize this distortion. For example, can you try to aim the laser at the surface of the liquid (at an angle with respect to the normal) from above? How would you measure the angle?

Material Index
    Vacuum 1.00000
    Air at STP 1.00029
    Ice 1.31
    Water at 20 °C 1.33
    Acetone 1.36
    Ethyl alcohol 1.36
    Sugar solution (30%) 1.38
    Fluorite 1.433
    Fused quartz 1.46
    Glycerine 1.473
    Sugar solution (80%) 1.49
    Plexiglas 1.51
    Crown glasses 1.52-1.62
    Sodium chloride 1.54
    Polystyrene 1.55-1.59
    Carbon disulfide 1.63
    Flint glasses 1.57-1.75
    Methylene iodide 1.74
    Sapphire 1.77
    Rare earth flint 1.7-1.84
    Lanthanum flint 1.82-1.98
    Arsenic trisulfide glass 2.04
    Diamond 2.417
    Gallium phosphide 3.50Table 1. Indices of refraction for commonly found materials.
    Making lens cross-sections out of gelatin, then "ray trace" with the laser. Basically, ray tracing involves establishing the position and orientation of an object's image by tracing strategic rays of light from the object passing through the lens, using knowledge of the focal length of the lens