Should America spend less money on its military?

Asked by: Britboy803
  • Our military budget is bloated to the point of absurdity.

We spend over half of our national budget on the military- more than the next nine top spending nations COMBINED. It's grotesque.
    Other developed nations have proper healthcare, excellent education, better standard of living...We spend billions on experimental fighter jets that never even see a test flight. But screw programs like Head Start and paying teachers what they're worth.

• Why keep it so high?

I really can't see any reason that America's military needs a 400% bigger budget for their army than China (the second highest budget in the world). I think they should concentrate on funding other more important things like maybe public healthcare and proper education, maybe even free university or paying of the debt.

• We DON'T need to spend that much money on military

Looking at the amount of money the U.S. spends on its military anyone in their right mind would deem it as absurd. Politicians on all parties are always complaining about the terrible infrastructure in our country. This can easily be solved if money is taken out of the military for uses in other fields in our country. To counter the argument that North Korea and terrorism are the reasons why we need to spend so much on military, let's take into account of all the other nations that are threatened by this as well. Technically speaking, anyone in the NATO agreement must go to war if one of the members in the treaty are attacked. This being said, many other countries are also threatened by North Korea and terrorism. However, these other countries in NATO are not spending more than half their tax money for their military. In essence, the U.S. needs to cut back on its military budget. Also, if we take into account the most successful countries based on their economic stability, foreign relations, and domestic spending, many of these countries do NOT have a powerful military. On top of this, if these peaceful yet economically stable countries were to be attacked, their current military would give them enough time to build up a powerful military to fight back its opponents. Yes, there are threats of nuclear weapons and having a powerful military could counter that threat, however, any nation is sensible in that launching a nuclear weapon would most likely destroy the world.

• We should reduce spending on offensive weapons of war

It is true, we need to fund our military for defense but how much money should our tax dollars go to experimental fighter jets who never see even a test flight? How much money should we spend on bombs so we can bomb some poor village because there might be some terrorists there. Even if we cut 100 billion from a six billion budget we would still be able to defend ourselves. Imagine what that 100 billion could go to, More space research, better education funding so school's could afford air conditioning and proper teachers. And free health care, all that could increase our standard of living. Why should we, as a nation fund weapons of mass destruction that would kill everyone on the planet.

• Why do we need it?

We spend more money on our military the any other nation in the world. You know why China and Russia don't spend too much? Because they don't need it. They released that military conquest, or at least the military, is just a waste of time. Although however flawed they may be to our perspective, they spend less on their military and still have the best troops. Russia has its Spetsnaz soldiers which are probably the best. China has over 2 million troops, more than the United States, but still spends less. Why need a military anyway? I don't see any actual wars going on. Terrorism isn't a war. It's just a problem of violence within society. And who the hell said we, the American nation, had to travel half way across the world to go to a desert waste land where the people there don't even care. I don't see any Muslims or Muslim nations asking and begging for American aid, dominance, and control. The only, true reason we have a military is do dominate the world and control it. Our own US foriegn policy is to spread Democracy. That's similar to what the USSR did, spreading Communism. But, to get to the point, America doesn't need a large nor any big government spending unless their is an actual need for it. But who's gonna stop the US government when we're all sitting on our devices and looking at these arguments and not taking a stand for anything?

• Stop spending money on the military.

You don't have to spend more money on the American military because America already has 800 bases and all the other countries added together only have 30 bases. You could spend the money on education and you can donate them to the poor because they have barely anything they need. You can also spend money on people who have to go to college or schools and hospitals to heal people. Please agree with us!

• Stop spending money on the military.

• We don;t want to take away the army.

I'm just saying we don't need to spend almost 600 billion on defense. Even if we cut 100 billion, we would still be the best military by far. I see most of the opposing argument involves ISIS domination. Are you idiots? You think that ISIS, a group with 30,000 members, half of which have no training, could possibly handle the U.S Military? ISIS can't win. Remember what happened to Al Qaeda? It attacked us, and we dominated them. Besides, the U.S isn't alone. Russia is fighting ISIS. ISIS can't defeat civilization. It just won't happen. But the point is, we don;t need so much spending.

• We spend so much more than we need!!!

Not only do we spend more than we need, but half of what the military spends doesn't even work or is never used. If we, instead of paying for things like broken tanks and glitchy fighter jets we payed for things like education, then we would STILL be the strongest military in the world BY FAR!!!!!!!!

• We spend so much more than we need!!!

• We are using it for protecting out soldiers and paying them

We pay them and train them which is expensive, and if we didn't give them such good weapons, I wouldn't have a father. So excuse me if I want a dad. Call me selfish all ya damn want but I need my dad. So we need to spend this much.

• A Odd Conundrum

People want all these things done when you cut military spending. Now I am not saying we cut nor increase it all I am saying is if we spend the most still how is China still able to hack us. Also you realize we spend more on health care than the next nine countries combined, but it still sucks. Further adding our investment in national security compared with the rest of the world has dropped dramatically over the last four years. National security accounts for only 10 percent of total public spending and total national security spending has fallen from a high of 4.7 percent in 2010 and to an estimated 3.3 percent in 2015. Noting also with free college or paying teachers what they deserve etc. I'm all for that and it all sounds great on paper, but yet you must understand if you cut military spending to fund other things it will cost in increased taxes. Then people will complain they do not meet the standard towards socioeconomic structure then minimum wages increase, prices inflate because companies want to make a profit then you have yourself a crash in the stock market an another great depression. Now I'm no genius, but that sounds bad. I find the situation an odd conundrum, this topic, but I feel you just got to take it on the chin and deal with it and discover something anew for things such as education.

• We need to keep our military because there are terrorist and north Korea that we have to worry about.

We have multiple enemy's and the only way that we can stay on tho of them is by building a better military for at home and around the word. The smart choice would be to keep up the growth of our military and keep up on the advancement of technology.

• Stop spending money on the military.

• Stop spending money on the military.

• Stop spending money on the military.

• Stop spending money on the military.

• Spending more on our military supports economic growth

Here’s an example, before the U.S. started to fight the war in Iraq the military budget was at $518 billion, when America stepped into the Iraq war our military spending went up to $700 billion. For every $1 billion spent on our national’s defense, 10 thousand jobs were created. If you do the math that is 7 million jobs created from 2003 to 2011 because the U.S. spent more on it national defense system.