Should America stop dictating school lunches to a certain degree?

Asked by: STMAknight92
  • Yess yess yesss

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes 17% of American children ages 2 to 19 are obese, and another 16% are overweight and at risk of becoming obese. This means that one out of six children are obese. Children should eat healthier, exercise more, and know the effects of being obese has on your body.

• Yess yess yesss

• Yess yess yesss

• Yes they should.

America should not over dictate school lunches. I understand doing to the extent of making sure it has healthy options and at least some nutrition involved in the lunch, but it doesn't need to go overboard. A lunch should still remain something the students will actually be willing to eat.

• The communism of lunch HAS to go!

I'm an 11th grader, and last year when they first had set up this crap, not only did they expect you to get one fruit or vegetable to make it a lunch (by their standards anyways), the lunch was flipping DISGUSTING! If they expect us to eat what they give us, they could at least make it taste better rather than tasting like crap.

• Yes they should

I am a student in highschool. I now first hand what goes on with these school lunches. You are required to get one fruit and one vegetable. The people who would normally eat these before the law was implemented still eat them. However, anybody who doesn't want to simply throws it out. Believe it or not, 90% of students do this. Therefore, all this dictating has done nothing, so Yes, i think they should stop.

• School lunches should not cater to unhealthy habits.

While I certainly disapprove of laws that, say, limit the sizes of soda one can buy or tax sugared beverages excessively, that is different from taxpayer supplied food. Public school lunches are funded by the taxpayer, so there is no need to cater to unhealthy food choices for children. They still have the option to bring whatever they like from home if they don't like the food choices at school. But considering the amount of whining people do about childhood obesity, there is no good reason to waste taxpayer funds on burgers, fries, and sodas for kids.

• Controlling school lunch ensures a healthy balanced meal

No, I believe that the food that is served in public schools should continue to be regulated. Our country has a problem with obesity in adults and in children. With the growing numbers of children that are considered obese, apparently, parents are not regulating the eating habits at home. This regulation can ensure that students get at least one healthy meal per day.

• To an extent, yes

I think the whole school lunch debate is going to continue on for many years to come; however, the more I think of it, the more I really don't get it. These kids are not forced to eat some of the unhealthy foods that the school offers to serve them.

• School Lunches Should be Healthier

School lunches should be healthier, and there is nothing wrong with the federal government dictating as such. Some schoolchildren are recipients of federal aid to get free school lunches. As such, the United States government can and should mandate what types of food can be served in public school cafeterias.

• No, it shouldn't.

Public schools are government institutions and therefore should be regulated by the government. This obviously includes the lunches that are served. I think it is in a countries best interest to serve healthy food and save money on health care in the long run and to teach young people better life choices.

• You should eat what you want!

Yes, many people in America and Canada are over weight. But that doesn't mean that we control what the people eat. If people want to slim down, they go on the proper diet to do so. If you don't want to be over weight, then don't eat the junk foods. People are in control of there own lives, not the school board