Should American public schools ban American flags in the school if certain circumstances call for it?

• We are a world.

"The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion" - Thomas Paine.

We are human beings sharing a planet, and to separate ourselves into factions is unnecessary. To be a patriot is to put your country above and before others which is completely wrong and leads to xenophobia and war.To keep a flag up is pointless, and does nothing but indoctrinate the feeling in impressionable children that they should be proud of their country. Your government needs people to feel patriotic so that you will go to war and die for their purposes, if people realised that we are all the same, that we're all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, and that we are truly insignificant, then maybe we wouldn't kill our fellow man to satisfy a few men in power.

These are not problems that can solved by taking a flag down, but keeping it up will only perpetuate the belief. We should be proud of the people we are not the place we live and if this was taught in schools, then whether or not the flag should stay up would be a mute point.

P.S. Also please chanting USA, you sound like morons,

Kind Regards,
    The Rest of the World

• Why not? National patriotism is simply pointless.

This is speaking from an entirely U.S perspective: There is nothing objective, productive, or useful produced from patriotism expressed by any person, organization, entity or institute in any way. While I am not against a persons right to express patriotism for any entity (or anything) that they want to express patriotism for, there is technically no direct need for it. Schools should be able to choose whether they use the flag or not ultimately. The objective of schools is to educate and prepare kids for the future, nothing more.

There is absolutely no reason for anyone to care about whether a school decides to stop using the American flag or not. As said before: "The objective of schools is to educate and prepare kids for the future, nothing more."

To answer the question being asked more directly, if certain circumstances somehow call for the flag to be banned, go for it right away, no debate.

• There is no need.

Why would America ban the flag in school? What circumstances are there that would call for the removal of the flag? If there was some extreme circumstance then probably but I cant think of any. I think having pride and patriotic feelings for your country can only be a good thing. Flying the flag in schools helps install this belief.

• Banning the American flag is ridiculous.

Why would you not want to support America if you chose to live here? If you don't like it move! I can understand not like a certain political person, but all of America? Unless it is a privet school. Privet school can do whatever they want per say but the American flag should most definitely not be banned from schools.

• There is no reason to ban the flag.

The American flag should be free to fly in every foot of this country. There should be no restrictions on this aside from unsafe acts. The only way the flag should be limited in schools is if its portrayal or mounting endangers students. Any other restrictions on the flag are not in the spirit this country, the flag, or the people who made it intended.

• No, American flags should not ever be banned in public schools

The American flag is an important part of our history and our culture. I can see of no reason why a display of an American flag in an American public school should ever be a problem. The American flag flies at post offices, in schools and churches, at National cemeteries, and on many private homes and businesses. It should stay displayed in public schools.

• That's a foolish idea.

I cannot imagine any circumstances where American schools would need to ban the national flag. On a cynical level, I look at it as branding. American taxpayers are funding (sponsoring) that school, so brand America should be represented there with the flag. If you run a private school and get no public funds (and that includes vouchers) then sure, display (or not) what you want.

• No, American flags should never be banned in schools.

I can't think of any single circumstance that would call for removal or banning of the American flag in American schools. Any problems a school may be facing should be dealt with at the source of the problem and a symbol of the country will never be the actual source of the problem. No matter what the country or school is going through, banning the flag may alleviate the symptoms temporarily but never actually get to the root cause.

• Who are we offending?

Why would we ban American flags in American schools. Are we scared of offending someone? Who would we be offending? Wouldn't banning the flag offend many people also. Especially veterans or family members who have lost loved ones defending that flag. Why is it ok to offend certain groups but not ok to offend others. The flag is a symbol of this country. Removing it to keep some groups happy is a disgrace. We cant make everyone happy but we can be proud that we live in a country that allows us to express our opion regardless of who we offend. Thats called freedom. Thats something the American flag stands for. Keep that flag flying!!

• I pay for that public school as an American!

I am an American citizen, I pay my taxes that pay for that school. I should be represented for my contribution. Thus the American flag should always be in every public school. Should a school ban that flag, they shall not receive benefits that our citizens pay for. End of subject.

• Schools should not ban the American flag!

Why on Earth should we ban the American flag? There are no circumstances or 'safety reasons'. Any student who causes 'safety reasons' to apply in the display of the American flag must immediately be punished. Continued obstruction of the display of American patriotic symbols is worthy of investigation. So, no.

• WE need patriots

That inspires kids not to love their country. Then they might bring our nation to the ground. Also the only other argument posted in this debate is a hippie liberal conspiracy theorist one, so yeah. We need to be patriotic, love our country and have values. The flag is important.