Should Americans' First Amendment Rights be expanded?

• We Need More

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. (Wikipedia)

I believe the citizens of the United States do need to have these rights expanded because over the last few years, in Bush's administration, as well as in Obama's, we have slowly seen some of these rights dissipate. I believe our freedom of speech has been seized considerably with the shut down of Occupy Wall Street, as well as the fear the press is experiencing to only print what it is just, according to the government. So, it has significantly impacted the news we receive. Furthermore, I have witnessed Muslim's community centers damaged and tore to pieces, all because someone else doesn't believe in Islam. I think all of these problems show a disrespect to the First Amendment and these rights need to be added to and citizens need to be reminded that they have them.

• We Need An Update

I do believe that the we need to update and clarify the First Amendment. Firstly, I think the people in our country have become vastly intolerant of Islam, when the religion itself has done nothing to us. We need to remember that the common person of Islam, is not a terrorist. I believe we need to remind ourselves that we should be tolerant and allow people to follow the religion of their choice. I have seen too many mosques damaged by vigilantes who have a disproportionate problem with Islam, based on 9/11. Secondly, I think our freedom of speech has been highly hampered by our government and we need to make sure our freedom of speech is protected in the future. The same goes for the press. I feel as though they have been shut down and are no longer allowed to report on news as they have in the past.

• Free Speech Extends to Internet, Social Media

Some things Americans just can't say--you can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater and you can't threaten someone's life. However, Americans have the right to say whatever they want, whenever they want, no matter what the medium may be. Freedom of speech can be expanded in many ways--let's start by allowing individuals unlimited campaign finance contributions directly to the campaigns of our politicians. Corporations can do it, so why can't individuals?

• No, Americas First Amendment rights should stand.

There is no real compelling reason for us to change or expand upon Americas First Amendment rights. The rights that we have now were set forth many years ago and they are tried and true. Adding to the First Amendment will only further complicate matters within society in America today.

• Americans' First Amendment Rights should not be expanded.

Americans' First Amendment Rights should not be expanded. I think the Bill of Rights should be left alone and we should not be expanding it. If we do this than we are opening up a world of hurt when someone wants to edit the other amendments. The Bill of Rights should be observed and not rewritten.