Should Americans have the right to carry a concealed handgun?

• Amendment II to the United States Constitution adopted on December 15, 1791

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. 554 U.S. 570 (2008), the Court ruled that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm, unconnected to service in a militia and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

• Bad phrasing of the question.

I am all for open carry or concealed carry of weapons and not just handguns. Since it's a right that is secured in the constitution any law requiring a license is unconstitutional on it's face. The only limits on concealed carry should be on elected officials only. That way they don't get treated any differently than you or I.

• Ugh, of course! Why is this even being discussed?

Please tell me who's rights I am violating by carrying a handgun? The only proper role of government is to protect on individual's rights from another's, and there is no logical argument to say that carrying a handgun violates anybody's rights. Lastly, a gun has never killed a person. I have never seen a gun just up and shoot and kill someone. The guy pulling the trigger killed someone.

• The 2nd Amendment

As long as there is the 2nd Amendment, it's pretty clear on what the policy on gun ownership should be-- and that includes concealed handguns. My own personal views on the matter are a bit less decisive, but I feel that as long as it is so explicitly stated in the Constitution, the Constitution must be upheld. If they want to change the law, they should amend the Constitution.

• We have a right to protection!

In cities like New York, a lot of people, mostly women, feel safer carrying a weapon to protect them selves. As a women I agree one hundred percent. It doesn't matter how much self defense I learn, I know I will always be smaller and weaker than most men. I also feel that to make it illegal is an invasion of our constitutional rights.

• People kill people, not guns.

If we were to outlaw handguns to the public, the ones who are committing crimes, murders etc. will still find a way to get a gun, and we will be unable to protect ourselves. BUT, we do need more regulation and more thorough background checks. Don't punish the law abiding citizens, punish the criminals.

• Americans to Arms

Americans need to start arming themselves in order to protect their families. The world is getting crazier. We need to voice are concerns to
    our government representatives. We shouldn't have to get permission to carry, it is our right. The second amendment doesn't say we can bear arms only if the government allows it, be it federal, state or local government.

• If they met the requirements, then they should be able to do so

Yes, I do believe Americans should have the right to carry concealed weapons. There are rules and regulations regarding the carrying of concealed weapons and if the individual have met those requirements then they should be able to carry their weapon. It is a constitutional right for Americans to bear arms, it would unconstitutional to deny them this right.

• Reduces the Amount of crime

There will still be guns out there. If they fall into the wrong hands, how will the innocent be able to defend themselves? Also guns could turn into a "Drug" being dealt and sold just like any other drug. The more guns, the less likely criminals will attack due to the uncertainty that someone could be protecting themselves.

• It is a part of our second amendment rights.

We the people need the same safety the politicians have, but we cant pay a bodyguard like they can. Therefore, we need to carry a weapon to insure that we see tomorrow, and to protect our lives and our families and neighbors. To say otherwise is speaking against God and humanity, and is making us a target for those who wish to rob and steal and kill for what we worked so hard for. I for one believe that we are responsible for ourselves - not the police, as they show up after an act of violence.

• This will cause more people to die.

Between May 2007 and March 24 2010, 9 officers and 142 citizens were killed nationally by concealed handguns. The 20 kids that died in Connecticut were at the hand of a concealed handgun. Many of those children never got a chance to live their lives. Americans should not be able to conceal and carry these weapons.

• No. The Second Amendment is old and outdated.

The Second Amendment was created at a time when every man was required to own a gun to be able to fight on a moment's notice. In present time, being able to carry a concealed firearm is unnecessary and will only cause more fatal conflicts. With the enormous number of gun-related homicides in the U.S. our gun laws need to be changed quickly, which should include the banning of concealed firearms.