• I believe it would be good for Americans to learn some type of language besides there own.

This language doesn't necessarily have to be Spanish, but Spanish is still a very good choice. Let me specify that we shouldn't force people to learn Spanish which would be wrong, but I do believe it's a good skill to have. I also want to say that this doesn't mean Spanish speakers shouldn't learn English. If your an immigrant who wants a better life in the US then it's only polite that you learn the language. Thank you and God bless.

• We shouldn't be forced, but what are we to do when Spanish over rides English

I believe that the Spanish speaking population is growing quickly. We already have %12 Spanish speaking families (If 3 to a family, that would be 12,000,000 families speaking Spanish, and growing.)

I work at a Nursery in Oklahoma, and not long ago was it when some man and two kids came up to the place and said "Hello." I asked them "How are y'all doing today?" They looked at me weird so I said "Cómo Estas hoy?" Suddenly the mans face brightened with a smile and I sold him some over $200 worth of flowers through simple things I've took time to learn, like quantity of flowers he wanted. He seemed like a very sweet guy and I really wished I could've made simple small talk with the guy and get to know his story, why he's here. Because after all no one is here voluntarily.

On top of that not all countries have an education system like America. We can learn almost ANY language just by writing down that you want to learn it. Or simply going on the internet. We can't take out luxuries for granted.

One last thing. Think about the southern states here. In Texas, if you can't speak Spanish, have fun getting a good job. I'm not saying you're obligated to learn Spanish, I'm saying that it's always best you do and it's also so simple to do (especially in this country) to learn another language. Because who knows, over years of time, the English language may be completely forgotten about like Latin was.

• Be proud of our languages

I believe every american should learn English and Spanish. I do not believe it should be enforced by the government but each state should promote a second language that has some history or value in their area(like Spanish). We have an opportunity to embrace Spanish, therefore I support learning Espanol.

• As the hispanic population of the United States grows, it becomes increasingly beneficial for Americans to learn to speak Spanish.

A significant portion of the American population now lists Spanish as its first language. This population is expected to grow. As the number of Spanish speakers continues to grow, it becomes more mutually beneficial for Americans to learn Spanish. Although many Americans resist this notion under the assumption that English is the official language of the United States, the fact is that the United States does not have an official language.

• This is a hard question to answer...

I think that bilingualism should be required when graduating High School, just to educate teenagers on the importance, or at least the knowledge of how another country works, speaks, etc. BUT forcing them to learn Spanish, not having a choice in what language or culture they're interested in isn't right. Yeah, the Spanish minority is big in the United States... Meaning they should speak ENGLISH, as it is a dominant language (they can keep their traditions, culture and what not, but it's helpful to learn English), just as you would learn German if you were going to Germany, or learn Faroese if you were going to the Faroe Islands, or learn Hiw if you were going to wherever Hiw is the dominant language. The people shouldn't conform to a minority's language, the minority should conform to the dominant language.

But yeah, bilingualism should be required. Just the ability to talk to a native speaker is the ability needed to pass. It encourages teenagers to learn about the world they live in (That's for another debate, though). Just sayin...

• It is not necessary.

How many jobs can Spanish speaking countries offer Americans? These countries have poor economies and cannot take in more refugees from Central America. At the end of the day, their survival depends on the US. They are the ones that have to learn our language, not the other way around.

• No, US citizens should not be compelled to speak a specific language other than English.

This is a difficult question to answer, because I believe people in the United States should all try to learn one language spoken internationally, whatever it may be. Unlike a lot of other countries, we don't typically learn more than one language. That being said, I don't think anyone should be forced to learn a specific language. Rather, it should be required in school to follow a track to learning at least one foreign language of choice. Spanish would certainly be a wise choice to make, because it could potentially expand one's job opportunities (such as teaching, etc.) in the U.S.

• It makes no sense emigrating to a country and keeping your language

Immigrants should not come to a foreign country and except everyone to know their language. It's honestly a bit disrespectful to force your language in where it was spoken from a country that you fled. I would not go to Germany and except everyone to know English, it just logical.

• My great grandparents learned to speak English.

I have lived here all my life. I am 57 years old. The majority of Americans speak English. All the road signs are in English. English is the language of the financial arena. I should NOT have to drive down the street and see signs in Spanish that I can't read!

• It's not fair.

There are Italians, Poles, Russians, Germans, and Chinese who broke their backs, so to speak, to come to this country. They learned English. Why should we have to make an exception for all these "legal" immigrants from Latin America? Besides, Spanish is nowhere near as cool as Polish or Russian. Speaking Polish is more impressive, and the Poles were in this country before all these Latinos came out of nowhere. So we should learn Polish if anything. And just because you speak a language at home doesn't mean you speak only that language.

• Bilingualism fractures countries

Just look at Canada, Only 8 million French speakers and many would like to be independent and preserve their French heritage. Language is a unifying force; have two and you end up like the Dutch. Assimilation is the key. Sorry, if you immigrate you must adapt to the host country, not the other way round.

• Immigrants must assimilate to our culture and language, not the other way around

The Germans learned English when they came to America.
    The Italians learned English when they came to America.
    The Dutch learned English when they came to America.
    The Poles learned English when they came to America.
    The Jews learned English when they came to America.
    Why should Hispanics be any different?