Should animal dissections be banned from all high schools and colleges and replaced with computer simulations?

Asked by: laurabunnay
  • No need to murder animals to learn anatomy.

Many students refuse to take biology classes in high school and college because they don't want to dissect an innocent animal. My high school did have a computer simulation but regular biology students weren't allowed to use the program you had to be in Advanced Placement to use it and yet that class never used it either. So I had no option but to cut open a bunch of animals. I had such a hard time with it I cried about it because I felt so terrible about it. My biology teacher had us dissect many animals not just the normal fetal pig or cat like most schools use. We had to dissect a squid, pig, worm, cow eye, and sheep brain just to learn some basic anatomy that we could have gotten from the text book. Another reason why its terrible is the cost that it puts on the school each year. It costed my high schools thousands to acquire all the animals that all the biology classes used each year. Yet a computer simulation would have costed a lot less and wouldn't have to be replaced each year. Also it's unethical to use animals in such a way. The teachers and most of the students had no respect for the life that had to be taken for us to "learn". There is no reason to cut open an animal when we have alternatives. These animals are preserved in formaldehyde which we all know is harmful to our health.

• An accomplishment based off suffering is not worth respecting.

Outside of the pleasure I take in imagining the inevitable future when we start being eaten, dissected, slaughtered, and butchered I suppose a reason outside of simple karma is that we're in a place of responsibility, and we shouldn't just go around thinking we can exploit animals like this just because we're capable of doing such. Yes, computer software may not be as accurate as an actual dissection. But consider this; if someone chooses to be a surgeon, I doubt an animal dissection would be accurate either. Computers are truly amazing, and I have enough faith in our professionals to trust them that they can do their job without having to cut up an animal.

• Animals do not need to be killed for the sake of "education."

Especially when children don't always comply--there are more and more cases lately where students refuse to dissect animals. Also, even when it's not their fault, forcing them to dissect animals is putting a large pressure on the child's conscience. What are they supposed to think, when there are dead animals' bodies in front of them, which they're supposed to cut open? And when, usually, they know the animals were killed for their use? There are people against use of animals in biology labs AT ALL. And these people are becoming more and more frequent as time passes; this is despite all the brainwashing done in schools by teaching us that it's necessary to kill animals for "educational" purposes. If the practice is completely gone by the time this generation is past college, it will all have been for absolutely nothing. Computers are also getting better and better, and we've even used them to simulate extraterrestrial collisions to find out how the moon was formed! If we can do that, why can't we use them for this? Killing non-human animals just to learn about them is completely wrong. Would we do this to humans, even the ones completely unconscious? Because, to my knowledge, that's the only difference. Although it's questionable to think that they're unintelligent, and vastly more so to think they have limited consciousness, they're certainly no less conscious then a "vegetable," or someone in a coma. We don't go around cutting THEM open--and for good reason--so why should we on animals? And above all, why should we force others to do this?

• It is immoral to use animals as objects.

School dissection is extremely cruel. Dissection promotes a callous attitude towards life, especially animal life. Why do you think animals are some of the first victims of psychopaths. Students should be informed to how the animal was bred for the sole purpose of dissection and that the animal did not have a real life when it was still living. After this, students will be able to make an informed decision on whether they would like to contribute to this suffering or not.

• It is immoral to contribute to the suffering of other living beings.

• Dissecting Animals: The Real Truth

Animals are beautiful creatures that don't deserve to be killed. It's time that we BAN this right and animals should not be killed because of that. IT'S TIME TO END THIS STUFF NOW OR ELSE YOU'LL GET THE BEST OF THE ANIMAL SOCIETY!! DO NOT KILL, LET THEM LIVE NOW! This is Destiny and I 'speak for the animals'.

Even AN ELEPHANT has been dissected. A POOR INNOCENT ELEPHANT! Do you want an elephant to kill YOU? Stop all this CRAZY SHENANIGANS! It's fine if the animal is dead, but cut it ALIVE? NOW I know why lions sometimes want to kill you I'm not even in MIDDLE SCHOOL and I know how DISGUSTINGLY DISGUSTING it is! And you'd probably think why a 5th grader wants to talk about it!

• Yes dissections should be banned

It is cruel and inhumane to kill these animals for dissection. If you think about it, humans are animals too. We both breathe normally, so why would kill other humans just for research. It seems unfair if you ask me. Animal rights must be fought for. Yep Yep Yep Yep

• No More Dissecting

Animals should be able to rest in peace not get ripped apart by kids for a project! Just get a computer app you don't have to actually dissect. Imagine if you died then a bunch of kids take you to a lass room and look at your insides doesn't sound pleasant does it? So why does that have to happen to them.

• Need for realism??

Why is the "real thing" needed for students not headed for medical/veterinary schools?? Single common factor in the "no" category is that digital dissection is not real. To them I ask why is that needed? Students in medical and veterinary colleges get plenty of opportunities to "know their way around a body".

• That would be much better

I've always hated the idea of dissecting an animal at school, and luckily I have been fortunate enough not to dissect one yet. But I do think the idea of replacing dissections with computer simulations is better because I know plenty of kids my age that love horror and gore when it's on things like computer games, but can never seem to manage it themselves in reality. And computer simulations may be cheaper than breeding a certain amount of animals every year.

• The obvious reason.

Simply put, The Matrix was a movie; V.R. Tech probably will not be good enough to simulate the real thing within our lifetime. While a computer simulation may be good practice, it is not the real thing. Imagine a doctor (since this question deals with colleges too) attempting to give their first I.V. After school, having only done it through a computer simulator.

• We learn to Dissection frogs for the learning that the experience gives.

A computer simulation doesn't do it. A simulation only provides so much of that experience.

We need to stop thinking about replacing everything with computer simulations. A simulation does not provide the same kind of handy work and hands on education. People need to be able to operate without a computer, in all things. We can not just keep replacing everything with simulations.

• A computer is no replacement for hands on abilities.

Clicking a mouse does not give the same skills as working on an actual animal. It is even more important in colleges than high schools, due to the fact that many of these students expect to go into research or medical fields and need to practice on real systems before working on live humans.

• Yes they should

They need to. This is cruel. It is gross. Don't kill wildlife. This is mean. What if i killed you for funzies and then cut you open, ripped you part, and threw away. You wouldn't like it. So don't do it to a innocent froggy, or squid, or worm, or anything for that matter.

• School dissection is a choice activity which gives you hands on experience.

School dissection is only performed on animals that breed quickly, cannot feel pain or on parts of animals that were already killed for other reasons.

You can choose to not participate in dissection related activities most of the time.

If you are interested in a careers in medicine, then this will be very normal for you in the future.

Unfortunately some animals will have to die, but these species breed fast and their death may start new interests and finding. The fact that high school students kill animals every day/week is a lie. You may also learn that killing animals is bad!

Computer animation can be good, but you cannot physically feel what you are doing. Try looking at animation of frog dissection and then do a real one. Very different.

• Its Called Education

Dissection is admittedly a little gross when it is new to you, but there are some things that cannot be accurately simulated. There is a real learning experience to be had when you have to actually touch the various organs. Especially for individuals going into the medical field, where you really have to know your way around a body, it is an important part of one's education.

• No, These animals were breed for research

In contries like america there is no market for frog legs, and there is not enough housing to house USELESS frogs. You could release the frogs into the ecosystem but they would die, and if they survived they could disrupt the ecosystem. If there was a market for frog legs and/or enough housing to house the frogs then sure ban dissections, there won't be a downside.

• Experience in the flesh

Remember dissecting an animal at school? The awful smell made some animals smell like ham. Some animals looked really scary dead. Sometimes you don't even want to touch the animal.

Sure, juices will get on you and you'll see things things that you can't unsee, but you got experience. In the medical field, students dissect cadavers to learn how to do surgery and get used to the organs in the human body.

Computer stimulations don't show all the scenarios in dissecting an animal. Dissecting an animal shows students how to use the tools safely and learn an animal's anatomy close up.

• Animals should be banned

Why is the "real thing" needed for students not headed for medical/veterinary schools?? Single common factor in the "no" category is that digital dissection is not real. To them I ask why is that needed? Students in medical and veterinary colleges get plenty of opportunities to "know their way around a body". I've always hated the idea of dissecting an animal at school, and luckily I have been fortunate enough not to dissect one yet. But I do think the idea of replacing dissections with computer simulations is better because I know plenty of kids my age that love horror and gore when it's on things like computer games, but can never seem to manage it themselves in reality. And computer simulations may be cheaper than breeding a certain amount of animals every year.

• Taking the Realism

Using a computer stimulation would take the realism out of a dissection. Instead of seeing the parts of the subject you'd just seeing digitally designed pictures. It takes the experience out of it. You can't say you've dissected a frog if it's done digitally. It's just not the same and it's declining the quality of the education and experience.