Should anti-atheism be treated more seriously?

Asked by: KingDebater
  • Atheist discrimination is everywhere!

Forms of Atheist discrimination include social ostracism, school bullying, the denial of student’s rights to form Atheist clubs in public schools, government promoted religious proselytizing, the wide perception that Atheists are untrustworthy, the government promotion of religion in social service programs and the government promotion of religion in the military.
    Atheism is discriminated against in politics.
    The constitutions of seven US states ban Atheists from holding public office:
    Arkansas: "No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in
    the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any
    Maryland: "That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification
    for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in
    the existence of God; nor shall the Legislature prescribe any other oath of office
    than the oath prescribed by this Constitution.”
    Mississippi: "No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall
    hold any office in this state."
    North Carolina: "The following persons shall be disqualified for office: First,
    any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God."
    South Carolina: "No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall
    hold any office under this Constitution."
    Tennessee: "No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards
    and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state."
    Texas: "No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office,
    or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on
    account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledges the existence of a
    Supreme Being."
    Pennsylvania’s constitution discriminates against Atheists by affording special
    protection to Theists only.
    "No person who acknowledges the being of a God and a future state of rewards
    and punishments shall, on account of his religious sentiments, be disqualified
    to hold any office or place of trust or profit under this Commonwealth."
    George H. W. Bush has been quoted as saying, “No, I don't know that Atheists
    should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic. This is
    one nation under God."
    In child custody cases, many judges assume that religion is necessary in order to
    properly raise a child. They also assume that Atheists are incapable of morality.
    This leads to parents who attend church, having a greater preference over parents who don’t.
    The Boy Scouts of America excludes Atheists as members based on their assertion that Atheists are incapable of being both sufficiently moral and patriotic. This organization receives public funding, yet gets away with this unethical practice based on their status of being “private”.
    Many Atheists are also discriminated against in the workplace. This happens often, because many actually don’t believe this is wrong.
    Even family members will often become disowned if they admit to being Atheist.
    This type of bigotry sadly tears families apart.

• Yes, it should.

As far as I'm concerned, it isn't being treated seriously enough. We hear all the time about religious discrimination, but we never hear about discrimination towards atheists. I really think that more should be done about it. There are lots of examples of it, it is more aggressive than anti-theism.

• Yes. The anti-atheist sentiment is real.

You have to be complete idiot to say no. Atheists are the most discriminated against minority in the United States. We're more hated and distrusted as rapists, 7-8 US states unconstitutionally ban atheists from holding any type of public office, 53% of the US wouldn't vote for an atheist just for the sheer fact that they're an atheist, 49% of Americans would be unhappy if their child(ren) married an atheist, 33% of people would allow an atheist to work in a daycare center, and 13 countries deny, strip citizenship of atheists, or even kill them. I was also recently fired from my job because I'm an atheist because my coworkers and managers always talked behind my back and made lies about me attacking their faith and telling others that I hate Jesus when I don't even believe that Jesus even exists and I attacked anyone's faith. You can't possibly tell me that this isn't anti-atheist discrimination and an overall anti-atheis.

• Yes but anti theism should be tolerated

Religion has no place in morden society and there is no benefit of lying about a afterlife.

Freedom of religion needs to be introduced back to places like afghanstian, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia. Anti atheism should be taken seriously as atheism is the way forward in morden society. Religion should be eliminated as soon as possible.

• Yes, it should.

We need to remember that everyone has a right to speak their mind and to share their opinions as they see fit. With that being said, we also need to make sure that other groups do not attempt to suppress the thoughts of other people. Anti-atheism is a real problem.

• Yes, anti-atheism should be taken more seriously.

Although atheism is currently a trendy thing to follow in our society, the neo-atheist mentality has gone too far. Theists are openly mocked, even when they don't deserve it. There needs to be a voice of moderation in the discussion, so that more can get done. Simply letting the atheists control the dialogue is not healthy.