• Learning to create and appreciate visual aesthetics may be more important than ever to the development of the next generation of children.

Developmental Benefits of Art

Motor Skills: Many of the motions involved in making art, such as holding a paintbrush or scribbling with a crayon, are essential to the growth of fine motor skills in young children. According to the National Institutes of Health, developmental milestones around age three should include drawing a circle and beginning to use safety scissors. Around age four, children may be able to draw a square and begin cutting straight lines with scissors. Many preschool programs emphasize the use of scissors because it develops the dexterity children will need for writing.

Language Development: For very young children, making art—or just talking about it—provides opportunities to learn words for colors, shapes and actions. When toddlers are as young as a year old, parents can do simple activities such as crumpling up paper and calling it a “ball.” By elementary school, students can use descriptive words to discuss their own creations or to talk about what feelings are elicited when they see different styles of artwork.

Decision Making: According to a report by Americans for the Arts, art education strengthens problem-solving and critical-thinking skills. The experience of making decisions and choices in the course of creating art carries over into other parts of life.

Visual Learning: Drawing, sculpting with clay and threading beads on a string all develop visual-spatial skills, which are more important than ever. Even toddlers know how to operate a smart phone or tablet, which means that even before they can read, kids are taking in visual information. This information consists of cues that we get from pictures or three-dimensional objects from digital media, books and television.

Inventiveness: When kids are encouraged to express themselves and take risks in creating art, they develop a sense of innovation that will be important in their adult lives. “The kind of people society needs to make it move forward are thinking, inventive people who seek new ways and improvements, not people who can only follow directions,” says Kohl. “Art is a way to encourage the process and the experience of thinking and making things better!”

Cultural Awareness: As we live in an increasingly diverse society, the images of different groups in the media may also present mixed messages. “If a child is playing with a toy that suggests a racist or sexist meaning, part of that meaning develops because of the aesthetics of the toy—the color, shape, texture of the hair,” says Freedman.

Improved Academic Performance: A report by Americans for the Arts states that young people who participate regularly in the arts (three hours a day on three days each week through one full year) are four times more likely to be recognized for academic achievement, to participate in a math and science fair or to win an award for writing an essay or poem than children who do not participate.

Source: http://www.pbs.org/parents/education/music-arts/the-importance-of-art-in-child-development/

• It teaches kids how to be aware of the world around them .

They may not be artisitc, creative, or litterally cant draw at all.But Although, art is a very important part of this world. If its used as communication, expression. It would be important to have students be aware of this world and understand it. They do not have to be ¨good¨ at it.

• It shouldn't be Required but implemented into learning itself.

Its a fact that people don't always like doing things they are forced to do. Not everyone is as artistic as say.. Leonardo Di Vinci. But, having art implemented into learning can help students better understand the material and it helps them picture in their minds what they have learned. Art isn't about drawing a perfect line or a famous painting. It's about putting how you feel and how you see the world and using creativity to put it into a work of art. Everyone is different. I feel as though people would have a better appreciation for art if It was a bigger part of not just school life but our everyday tasks.

• Art is one of the best hobbies that one can have.

Art class should be required for students to take in all grades because art is a skill that most find relaxing and joyful when they have finished an art project. It's de-stressing and allows you to expand your imagination as well, along with express feelings without the use of violence or use of destruction.

• My opinion is that Art class should be required because it really lets kids relax and art to me really takes away stress.

Art lets the brain relax and totally takes away stress off the shoulders to me and I love doing art because it makes ME relax and just feel like there's no stress in the world and that I'm just free do draw whatever I want and that I'm free to do whatever I want.

• Art is important

Art is important because you get to show off your creativity, and what you feel on the inside.
    Art is for every one, and any one can do it. It doesn't matter of your gender or if something is wrong with you. Art is for every one who wants to show who they really are

• Art is important

• Nothing should be REQUIRED. But integrated into education? Most definitely.

"Art" will help students understand the meaning behind what they visualize, as well as help students open their mind to the world and see things through a different perceptive. Since one can argue that "everything is art", it is very important for students to create and think of ideas of their own. Visual art helps people accept the reality that is perceived, and build something beyond the physical realm. Again, I don't think that anything should be _required_ but it is very important.

• It wastes certain students time

I personally never had any interest in art, and after being forced to take it for 8 years from 1-8th grade I grew no more likened to it. It was my least favorite class every year because I just was not good at it. I would have been better off taking a math class or history class in the time I was in art.

• I never liked Art.

I guess I'm not like "most" people. Children tend to express themselves in different ways. Instead of taking the required art course in high school, I would have preferred to take a creative writing class and to become a better writer than a better drawer..Which I haven't done in years..Since I HATE ART!

• I am an artist myself. And I'm 13 years old

I think art should be available for those interested but not required. Some students just aren't interested, and they shouldn't be forced to do something they don't like. Like I'm being forced to take engineering in school right now and I hate it. Hate it. I may have had an interest in it if I wasn't forced but since I came was I'm not interested. Same with art. So not only does it save them stress from doing something they hate, but it can even help the ines that are interested. Since non artists are in my art class, we do childish art, like using crayola and cheap art supplies. I work with expensive ones such as Prismacolor and copic. Now the ones that are interested can go to the next level instead of being stuck with childish art.

• I am an art student myself.

Speaking from experience, I think that making art a mandatory subject causes more issues than it provides opportunities. Art is much about expression and personal experience, but it is also a big part of the industry. Some students who take art class pursue a professional career in the arts while another portion take art only because they enjoy the activity or are forced to participate. This is where the issues begins for me. When the gap of interests and skill is this wide it makes it challenging for professional students to receive the necessary tutoring and resources as they share the same space with the rest of the students. Unless the schools would provide two separate programs, a professional and a hobbyist/beginners art class, my stance on the matter is a no.

• If Students wanted to be creative, they should do so on their own

I'm in high school right now and personally I can agree with most others in saying that art isn't what it was. Lots of students do not care about creativity and just want to study something like math or science. Some kids don`t have all the creativity in the world and honestly I think you should let us decide what we want to do in school

• I am an artist

I am an artist myself. I find art interesting and I have a passion for it. Some people, such as my father, don't find art interesting. If someone who didnt find interest in art were to attend art class, one of the two would happen.

1. They found a new hobby great

2. They still don't enjoy art and now they're stressed

Some people say "it mets them be creative" when in reality there are many ways to be creative than just drawing. Physical activity is an example. If someone were pkshing football they could create new and interesting ways to make the game a little but easier, while at the same time sticking with the rules.