Should assignments be done at school instead of at home?

• Yes, assignments should be done at school instead of home.

School and home time should always be separated. There is ample time in school to receive the lecture from the teacher, and then do the assignment. As long as the student doesn't waste time, thirty minutes should be enough to complete an assignment. However, if by some chance you don't complete the work, you may have to take what is left home.

• Kids are no different to adults at home they don't want to work they want to relax.

At home they tend to procrastinate or try to get parents or older siblings to do the work, at school they are actually learning and the teachers know it is their work not friend or family's work. In my opinion homework is a waste of time unless it is designed to teach the parents while they are doing the kids work to make the student look smart when they are not.

• Yes it definitely should.

If school assignments are done at school,it would allow students to focus more on their work,because the distracting obstacles would not be within their reach,and also,they would have more available resources at their disposal,such as teachers or other classmates.Students tend to procrastinate a lot when it comes to projects being done at home,and the reason is simple: the work is boring and is nowhere near as interesting as the internet,their PS3,XBOX 360 or other gaming devices.But,since those sources of pleasure are not available during school hours,it's difficult for them to be distracted.Also,assignments being done at school would allow for more freedom at home.Students think of school as a manditory institution where you are obligated to escape get out of your comfort zone,and home as the comfort zone.And of course,everybody needs to escape it,but it's nice to be in it aswell.

• Simply no time

I am in high school at the moment and I play in three sports which is the max amount you can do here. I simply do not have enough time to do an hours worth of homework in every class EVERY night! I have practice every day throughout the school year until almost five thirty or six. I also have a job and have to go to work after practice so I simply do not have time to do extra work outside of school. We are at school for seven hours a day, that should be enough to learn what the state says I should so doing other work outside of those seven hours in my opinion is just plain ridiculous.

• Yes, assignments should be done at school instead of at home.

I believe that assignments should be done at school instead of at home. The main advantage to completing work at school is that the teacher is there to help or answer any questions. Too much of homework is just busywork, anyways. Often homework just doesn't get done because kids are involved in sports or other activities in the evenings. Keep work at school. Kids don't need the extra work.

• No they shouldn't be.

Assignments are given for extra understanding of the topic. But doing assignments in schools wastes the precious time that has been alotted for learning. Teachers should tell the students what to do in an assignment, but students should utilise time in school for studying. Even if the students complete all the assignments in school, but are not clear about a certain topic, because all the time has been used in making the project, it is a huge disadvantage for the students. As for the convention that parents would complete the assignment in homes, instead of the student, i don't think that there is any parent that would do it for his/her son/daughter, as they know that completing the student's assignment would only make the student dependant on the parents, and no parent wants that.

Posted by: AR22
  • School assignments should not be done only in school.

Some teachers give a ridiculous amount of homework to their students along with students working at different paces. I for instances am really slow at working and I enjoy taking my time doing school work. How are students supposed to finish their assignments if they're expected to finish it only at school?

• The only people that suggest this have no teaching experience or knowledge of education.

Teachers barely have enough time to teach the subjects they are given as it is. Homework is given for many reasons; practice and repetition, proving that the student has actually retained the information beyond just the class period, evaluation of where the students may need more coverage of the topic to name just a few.
    Educational standards are being dropped all the time in this country. Force teachers to reduce class time so the poor little dears don't have any homework, and we'll have a generation even more poorly educated than this one.