Should assisted suicide be legalized as a measure of freedom of choice?

• Choice: The Rant

Just that. It comes to down to the choice of the person, not the family or even the doctor. The doctor may opt out on doing it, as it would normally be traumatizing to see a patient die before your eyes. It would be extremely selfish for the family to prolong the suffering of someone in constant pain, especially when even when medicated the pain is still unbearable. Religion should definitely not have a say in whether or not someone consents to assisted suicide to end the suffering. If, as they say, God decides when you die, then he is one cruel and manipulative bastard, I give him that. However, as an Atheist, I do not believe in a God, and I would be extremely infuriated if I was denied a peaceful release because of someone's religion states and suffering is a way for a deity to test me. Another thing, besides for leaving religion out of it, it is extremely selfish for all parties to prolong the suffering when the person begs for death. "K-Kill me! Please! It hurts... the pain... the God-Damned pai-" "*Gasp* How dare you say the Lord's name in vain! Shush you! The all might and GOOD God is going to send you on your way after you endure that pain for a few years.. don't worry, it's just his way of testing you!"

Laughable, but it disgusts me to see things like this. Especially since animals are put to sleep because no human will adopt them, yet an unadopted child will have a foster family until someone eventually takes them. Why not put them to sleep?

• I wish this was true so that I could just die.

Life is misery, I am going nowhere. I have no future. I have no family. I have no close friends. I am alone all day. I starve constantly. I am tired of life. There is no help for me. Every doctor treats me like meat, and doesn't take me seriously. They try to give me drugs that have suicide risk increase as a antidepressant. Doctors do not care about people.

My own family dismissed my depression, thought I could snap out of it. Treated me negatively all the time. I was forced into homelessness for years. I finally have a place to live, but I am a shattered human being. I can never have meaningful relationships. I am so full of anger at how I've been treated my entire life. I am tired of it. I will never marry, I will die alone. Having this foreknowledge is soul crushing. I repeat to myself everyday, how worthless I truly am and how I just simply want to die. The days just linger, and I just exist. Sitting in the same room forever, like a prison. I am not worth existence and humanity would be better off without me.

• I believe that assisted suicide should be legal because it does not cause harm to other individuals.

Since assisted suicide only harms the individual who has chosen to die there should be no legal barriers for the assistant. The choice to die is hard enough to make, the government should not make it more difficult by punishing those who help. It should be considered a personal right to choose when and how an individual dies, this should include who they wish to be present and offer assistance. Assisted suicide should not be illegal as it is beneficial to all parties. Those who wish to die are no longer suffering and the system no longer has to pay to help keep the individual alive. If assisted suicide was legal and free of stigma the health care system could save millions of dollars a year in medical costs wasted on terminal patients.

Posted by: VampireShu
  • It's the patients life. Is it affecting yours?

Sure, I understand, you have grief and you are saddened, but does it honestly affect you (excluding close family members)? This world is so judgmental. This is what I don't understand. The government wants nothing to do with our lives, yet they tell us how to live our lives by making laws on abortion, marriage, and to die. We should just mind our own business and let the person live the life they want to. If they don't want to suffer anymore, let them end it. If they know the outcome of it, then let them. STAY OUT OF THEIR LIFE ITS THERES NOT YOURS.

• And, there's not much anyone can do to take that right away.

People have the right to do with their life what they will. As long as they don't try to inflict avoidable harm on others. If a person wants to die bad enough they will make sure that it happens. And, there's really nothing anyone can do about it. Postpone it, maybe. But, it will eventually happen if that's what they want. Everyone has free will. And, if there's one thing a person can't take from you, it's you. But, if you want to take yourself away from everyone else, you can.

Posted by: MohaI0v35
  • Assisted suicide should be legalized in the case that someone no longer has any quality of life.

Assisted suicide should be legalized and it should be the choice of the individual first and foremost and then backed by their family before carried out. If someone is suffering so badly that there is no point to their life then they should be given the choice and ability to end it.

Posted by: J Navarro 62
  • The right to die- a fundamental human right

I believe that everyone should have the liberty to terminate their own life, as long as they're mentally capable, and the procedure is supervised by the state. Each one of us has to bear the difficulties of life personally, and therefore is the only legitimate judge as for its quality. When a person reaches such a decision after sound considerations, it's only human to assist him achieve a peaceful death. Having this choice will probably strengthen society's actual commitment to the welfare of everyone!

• By all means yes.

If your brain is developed fully (i suppose that's around 25 or so), and you are able to make rational, logical choices... "then by all means" the option should be available

of course a process of "phycho" appointments should be attended prior, to get the okay. But that's about it.

• My body, My choice.

My body, My choice; not my body, your choice. We all have to meet God alone. If you are willing to stand in my place before God, as I follow your directions, let me know. It is not possible, of course. Don't tell me how to live or die and I won't tell you how to live or die.

• My body, My choice.

• I disagree.

Assisted suicide should not be legal since it's religiously wrong, and also because that shows that the doctor has given up on their patient. For those with terminal illnesses, they should be offering the best medication out there because their job is to PROLONG their patient's life. They should focus more on finding the cure than offering them a "painless" death. Physically, it probably is painless, but we don't have proof since they are dead. But also think about the emotional pain they would put their family through,

• No, I oppose the right to legalize assistant suicide, because it is morally wrong in God's eyes.

God gave us life and only he should be able to take it away. Legalizing assisted suicide will only raise the death rates each year. Instead of trying to legalize this act, the government should try to create programs for those who are suffering. This will help them cope with life, instead of just destroying it.

Posted by: XoTomas
  • No, I disagree because often times people that are suicidal are not in their right mind to be making that kind of decision.

I think assisted suicide should not be considered freedom of choice because people that are suicidal are often under extreme stress or other situations where other options can help.
    Assisted suicide is mainly for sick people, I understand, but some of them have simply given up on recovery, which is possible and I don't think that is right.
    Suicide is wrong, I think, and if someone is going to do it, they shouldn't get someone else involved.

Posted by: I33Iess
  • This opens to many doors and options for people that are very unethical.

It should never be an option for people to choose to die when they are perfectly healthy or even if they have something wrong with them. If someone is sick but can pull through it they should not be allowed to ask to die. This is wrong because there would be many people who would opt for death.

Posted by: B3rkIffy
  • Assisted suicide should not be legal due to the inability to regulate the qualifications of the people providing the assistance and to effectively assess the mental state of the person wanting to commit suicide.

The issue of assisted suicide is not a matter of freedom of choice; society has a compelling interest in ensuring that the process of dying is given diligent consideration and respect.

It becomes a question of the mental state of the person when he or she made the decision to choose assisted suicide over continued medical treatment.

Posted by: G4rwIsdead
  • Pray For Doctors ..So they can do the right thing

IT DEPENDS ON THE PATIENT AND THE DOCTER OFCOURSE ESPECIALLY ,for PEOPLE IT DEPENDS ON THE MONEY IF THERES NO MONEY THERES NO SURGERY OR OPERATION GETTING DONE WTH HAPPENED TO THIS DAMN GENERATION ......Life IS more important than money all of this ...Everything always comes up to money to get the job done

• You need some damn milk

Why Would you want to kill your own self ?Does it makes sense to you think about it..
    You can't just end your own life because you're unhappy. All this pain is temporary. It will get better. If you have a terminal disease, there are other ways to treat them. You don't need to go straight for the easy way out. L lost my grandfather to suicide and he had his reasons for doing so because he didn't want to be a burden. If you're unhappy and life isn't treating you well then seek treatment. Don't pout in your house all day and don't do anything about it.

• No it shoudn't be legal

I disagree because we have no right to take the life of another person,only God has the right to do that.And also many persons who suffer terminal illnesses has a family that loves him/her,we don't need to waste our life just for that reason.There are also many kinds of treatment to different terminal illness.
    -MAV

• You can't just end your own life because you're unhappy. All this pain is temporary. It will get better.

If you have a terminal disease, there are other ways to treat them. You don't need to go straight for the easy way out. L lost my grandfather to suicide and he had his reasons for doing so because he didn't want to be a burden. If you're unhappy and life isn't treating you well then seek treatment. Don't pout in your house all day and don't do anything about it.

• Think of the doctor!

Do you think that all doctors want to go through that of "killing" a person intentionally. This is reality you have to live with it. If you hate your life, look for someone that really cares. There are people out there that really care about this world and would love to help you they just haven't heard of you.