• They shouldn't club baby seals, but maybe older seals are okay to club.

Okay, I understand that this is a cultural way of life for people. That's totally fine by me. But why baby seals? They are too young. They haven't had that long to live! Plus, by clubbing an older seal, the clubbers would get more fur and meat from the body. It just seems to make more sense to me to kill the larger, older seal with a long life than the small, poor baby seal who barely even lived for a while.

• yes it is cruel and inhumane

The baby seals should have a chance to live thier lives

• How is it different from slaughtering animals for food?

Seals are cute that's why. Nobody cares about ugly cows or chickens, but cute harp seals get the attention. At the end of the day we are hunting a species which is not endangered. The Inuit and Yupik people have done it forever, and they have been doing just fine. Several species of seal are in trouble. The harp seal is not. Why does it matter if they're babies? They are still animals, and they breed like crazy. They aren't about to go extinct, so please just enjoy baby seal leather boots.

• Not it should not be banned

This is not a recreational activity. The people that take part in this have done so for generations and it is their way of life. The entire carcass is used and they respect these animals as they realized they rely on them to survive.They cannot and should not have to live according to western rules which are entirely hypocritical anyway.

• No, baby seal clubbing should not be banned.

The way it is portrayed shows clubbing as being barbaric. It seems cruel to kill an innocent seal pup especially with a club. However, research shows that baby seal clubbing is the fastest and least painful way to kill the pup and save it's pelt. The whole animal is used for food, light, clothing. Nothing is wasted. If it were done for sport and only sport I would say ban it.

• It is their way of life

No matter how gruesome it may be to watch, baby seal clubbing is apart of their culture and not only would it throw off their entire source of income, but we would also be suppressing the people that live there. Also, it is no different to how the United States treat cows and chicken when ever we want a hamburger or a chicken leg. We breed them and stuff them full of hormones and food that they can't even digest just so that we can stuff down our mouths.

hereiam2005 says2013-05-06T19:52:26.347
The question is unclear which act of seal hunting be banned? Commercial seal hunting or the seal hunting of indigenous people? Commercial seal hunting need to be regulated to ensure the survival of the species. The seal hunting by indigenous people, on the other hand, should not be regulated - it is far too low in number to be significant in any way.
Antman036 says2013-05-06T22:37:55.280
Sorry