Should barbie/bratz dolls be given to young children

Asked by: Mursal
  • Yes, they are great.

I grew up playing with Barbie and Bratz dolls and I loved them.
    They don´t give kids a false image of females, nor humans, children know they are fake, they see reality in theirselves and it depends of the type of parenting they are receiving.
    Kids develop acting skills, creativity at the same time they play!
    I´ll let my kids play with Barbie dolls, but at the same time I´ll teach them to be against sexism.

• Sure, they were great

I loved Bratz and Barbies when I was little. I think little kids should be allowed to have them but the dolls should have more realistic body images. The way they're made now gives children the idea of how women are supposed to look and dress. Most women don't have tiny waists, long legs or any of those body proportions. It's unhealthy.

• Sure, why not?

When I was a kid, I was really into stop-motion films. Barbie dolls were perfect for that. Forget how you perceive females, the dolls are fake and you know they're fake, because you wouldn't have a real person do stop-motion (unless they're doing it for the art). Also, if you want to make a film with those things, get lots and lots of fishing line.
    Now, regular kids might have an issue with perceiving women, but a reasonable explanation (They're plastic models, so they can do that. Real people can't do that without some very non-standard equipment.) would fix that up.

• This isn't about body image.

No. I'm not here to preach "body acceptance". I think barbie's body is pretty achievable if you work out and such. Yes, some body standards are unattainable but a thin, healthy body is not. As a young female, i am more concerned with the socialization of young girls. Sure, barbie can be whoever she wants, but Bratz dolls were always dressed in skimpy outfits and makeup. The entire concept of this stuff is what tells little girls to want to do nothing more than shop, boys, and put on makeup. Disagree if you'd like, but i think dolls like this just force the female stereotype and gender role onto the young child, instead of letting her grow into an actual human being, with individual tastes and opinions.

• Absolutely no way

Um...To start this off, the body figures of the dolls can HIGHLY influence girls to try and become the same image the Barbie or Bratz dolls are. It makes some girls feel like they are fat and it makes parents soon realize "should I stop buying these dolls because they show something unrealistic and inaccurate to my child?"

It isn't such a good idea to have dolls with impossible body features that girls would maybe try to "lose weight" and have a small waist, when in reality girls begin to become anorexic and bulimic as well as getting plastic surgery to make their waist curvier and smaller.

• No gives girls an unrealistic image

By giving children dolls like barbie or bratz gives them an unrealistic image of how a females body is supposed to be like and how they are supposed to dress. I have played with these types of doll when I was younger but how actually does it affect the way we perceive females

• No way ho say

I think all the above are correct and that anyone who's disagrees is not giving their child what they think they should look like and what they need to look like it dosent matter what you look like but if you a nice person and grow up to be a nice person.