Should Basic Self-Defence be taught in Schools?

Asked by: evie0
  • Of course! It's time school actually began to teach us how to live, and not useless crap we won't use in our lifetimes.

School school school. Where you learn that sin/cos=tan, that ax+by+c blahblah.. Point is... The school has been teaching kids a bunch of useless stuff when we should be learning how to enter the real world, how to do taxes, how to fight for ourselves in case we ever get mobbed, etc! I say yes! And to hell with the opposers, you guys just want us to keep learning how to calculate the sun's mass when we should be learning how to become adults.

• Sure, it would make sense to.

Unfortunately, the school curriculums are made by a group of braindead spider-monkeys, so if we were to implement ONE useful thing into the learning system, we should bring in more.

"And there she stood – at the end of our days together – just like she had when we met"

• A very useful skill.

Of course this topic is debatable, there are upsides and downsides to the teaching of self-defence in school. However, it must be stated that self-defence is a both physical and mental enriching skill and could increase the safety of children. Personally, I believe some basic elements of self-defence should be taught in schools such as awareness, control and the ability to understand when there is no longer a threat.
    I am currently doing a project based on these ideas. I have created a survey also. Your opinions are highly appreciated.
    Http://www.Smartsurvey.Co.Uk/s/3127I/

• Yes, in PE.

There are a few things I would both allow, like any contact with guns or any other weapons, but bare hands defence skills I would be completely ok with. I assume that is want you meant, but just saying. Self defense is a nice thing to have. πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ

• It would be epic.

Kids would at least have a chance against kidnappers and other bad people. A a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a aa a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a aa a a

• Yes it should

Because it reaaaly shoukd. A a a a a a a a a a a aa a aa a a a a a aa a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a aa aa a a a a a a a a

• And then they join gangs...

Take your average inner-city gang-banger in training. Now train him to actually fight.
    Do you want that to happen?
    Also, in the end, it still comes down to information asymmetry and weight of numbers, so the bullying would continue anyway. It's ultimately symbolic.
    And so everything was shot to pieces.