• I don't approve of it, but yes...

Whilst beauty pageants, at least in my opinion often promote shallow virtues such as appearances, and thus I myself would never participate nor suggest others to do so, it should not cross the lines of banning such pageants through any legislative process. Indeed, all participants engage in it voluntarily and I don't think it is any of my, or your business whether another person watches or participates in a pageant.

Posted by: WXL
  • Beauty pageants celebrate the human form

Beauty pageants celebrate one aspect of all that makes us human. We have awards for the most brilliant, the most athletic, and the most talented, across a variety of fields of endeavor. We should also celebrate those who excel in other ways, including because of the beauty that they bring to our world.

• Yes, still hold beauty pageants, but with different guidelines.

Beauty pageants have been around for many years. They are still relevant today. Beauty is subjective though, and people should be able to express themselves in whatever manor that they choose. Beauty should not only be defined by how you look in a bikini or how long your hair is. All body types should be accepted. All hair types should be accepted. The word beauty should be redefined, in terms of pageant guidelines, to be inclusive of all.

• Haven't we moved beyond such shallow valuations of worth?

There is no aspect of a beauty pageant that is redeemable. They are purely tools for valuing people as physical entities in competition with one another and provide no value. Life provides enough competition, and people who are not of standard attractiveness have been shown to get less preferential treatment in job interviews, promotion rounds and other occasions of consideration. Why create yet more occasions to discriminate against those with non-standard physiques?

• No, beauty pagents belong to the past.

Women deserve to be viewed as whole people, not judged on their physical beauty. As long as society continues to promote these types of contests, women will be objectified and held to different standards from men. Women should be held up for public accolades because of their intelligence or compassion, not because they resemble a Barbie doll.

• Beauty pagents should be banned.

"The Princess Syndrome" as some like to call it, is a fairy tale. Unrealistic expectations to be thin, physically beautiful, and perfect are at the heart of some disordered eating behaviors and body dissatisfaction. Plus, beauty is different to each and every one...Instead they could spend money helping the poor who have nothing.